Heavy metal

Talk about anything not remotely related to retrocomputing here!
xanthrou

Heavy metal

Post by xanthrou »

Is there anyone in the X16 community, who happens to listen to metal? (Like heavy, thrash, power, black, death, doom, post-metal, groove, metalcore, progressive, war, power ballads, kawaii metal, industrial, nu metal, rap metal, grunge, glam, death n' roll, black n' roll, Neue Deutsche Härte, blackgaze, biker, symphonic, neoclassical, grindcore, folk, pirate, etc.)

(P.S: Machinae Supremacy combined heavy metal with the C64 SID sound)

calcmandan

Heavy metal

Post by calcmandan »

some metal. depends on what im up to. if i'm at the bar playing pool it's metallica or megadeth.

Sent from my SM-T720 using Tapatalk

Strider

Heavy metal

Post by Strider »

For me, it's mainly 70's/80's music, and 80's/90's country. Though I listen to songs from a wide range of genres, with only a few exceptions. I don't care for opera, but I do like classical and instrumental. I don't like most metal or rock where the singer is either screaming or sounds like their trying to eat the microphone. Lastly, I don't care for must that feels "hateful" or "negative". I listen to music to relax, unwind, or be happy.

More relevant to retro-tech, I really enjoy a lot of old video game music. There were a lot of good songs written for games, some of my favorites being from the Castlevania franchise, Blaster Master, and Mega Man franchises. I also used to love Amiga "mod" music, using old school "trackers" to see what I could come up with, and play what I found on different BBS and other boards back then. So much fun!

A classic geek & family man who enjoys all things retro! Computers, hardware, games, electronics, etc. Expert at nothing, professional hobbyist, and old-school blogger!
xanthrou

Heavy metal

Post by xanthrou »

On 2/24/2021 at 8:32 PM, Strider said:

For me, it's mainly 70's/80's music, and 80's/90's country. Though I listen to songs from a wide range of genres, with only a few exceptions. I don't care for opera, but I do like classical and instrumental. I don't like most metal or rock where the singer is either screaming or sounds like their trying to eat the microphone. Lastly, I don't care for must that feels "hateful" or "negative". I listen to music to relax, unwind, or be happy.

More relevant to retro-tech, I really enjoy a lot of old video game music. There were a lot of good songs written for games, some of my favorites being from the Castlevania franchise, Blaster Master, and Mega Man franchises. I also used to love Amiga "mod" music, using old school "trackers" to see what I could come up with, and play what I found on different BBS and other boards back then. So much fun!

Particularly, my favorite video game music is the SNK Neo Geo one. (Which is the reason why I chose the YM2610 chips for my dream computer, even going as far as picking three of YM2610B's (plus pairing up with four SIDs (6581 to be exact), the 4-channel PCM 8-bit 50kHz LMC1992 and a Seta X1-010 as well.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yamaha_YM2610 (then, take a look about YM2610B)

How would all of them sound like according to you?

But now, let's go on topic, I would recommend instrumental pieces, like Metallica's classics such as The Call Of Ktulu and Orion. (or the #1 hit ballad Nothing Else Matters)

Or to get best of both worlds, try glam metal, such as Moety Crüe. 

Strider

Heavy metal

Post by Strider »

The YM2610 was a great chip, I always loved the "arcade" style sound, and this chip (and other similar ones) was at the heart of a lot of arcade cabinets. :)

I am already a fan of Metallica and Motley Crue. I guess I forgot to mention the 80's/90's also included rock. I am just not a fan of many bands past the early 2000's. For my rock needs, I mainly turn to names like GnR, Def Leppard, AC/DC, Aerosmith, KISS, Poison, Ratt, and other such "hair metal" of the era. Though I actually like and listen to far more than I can list here. I don't go much "heavier" than Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath, Skid Row, Motorhead, or bands like that. TO be honest, I don't listen to much of it these days, unless I happens to be on the radio. My musical tastes definitely lightened up as I got older. 

:)

A classic geek & family man who enjoys all things retro! Computers, hardware, games, electronics, etc. Expert at nothing, professional hobbyist, and old-school blogger!
xanthrou

Heavy metal

Post by xanthrou »

6 hours ago, Strider said:

The YM2610 was a great chip, I always loved the "arcade" style sound, and this chip (and other similar ones) was at the heart of a lot of arcade cabinets. ?

THAT'S the reason why I chose YM2610B for the sound my dream computer, but not just one, not two, but three of these, paired with four 6581 SID chips, a Seta X1-010 and 4-channel 50kHz PCM LMC1992. Imagine listening to them all.

Randy

Heavy metal

Post by Randy »

Does Motorhead count? ?

NaughtRobot

Heavy metal

Post by NaughtRobot »

Absolutely. Currently, I've been listening to The Black Dahia Muder's entire catalog since their most recent album Verminous came out last year. 

grommile

Heavy metal

Post by grommile »

Currently I'm on a bit of a kawaii metal kick, be it Babymetal or Necronomidol.

xanthrou

Heavy metal

Post by xanthrou »

On 4/24/2021 at 12:04 AM, grommile said:

Currently I'm on a bit of a kawaii metal kick, be it Babymetal or Necronomidol.

Kawaii metal is still metal.