Your "Retro Gaming" Hardware or Emulators?

Feel free to talk about any other retro stuff here including Commodore, Sinclair, Atari, Amstrad, Apple... the list goes on!
BruceMcF

Post by BruceMcF »

It's a thread cross-over ... I was talking about the one I had in the "rare, odd or bad" thread, and someone else had one of those too (or maybe a PPC512).

Strider

Post by Strider »

I have found a lot of cool older computers at my local GW stores over the years, more so in the past than recently. I know there are more online but the prices on so many just keep climbing. I think that's why I don't see many locally anymore, people find out they are worth a fair amount of money and put them on eBay rather than donate.

I know I keep saying I don't have any room in my home to keep much retro tech, but if I ever found a decently priced C64 or Amiga 500 sitting on a local store shelf or yard sale, I would pick it up and bring it home. I mean, if I am willing to buy a C64 Maxi, then I should be able to talk my wife into at least one actual retro system. ?

Even locally though, the prices I have seen on the few systems I ran across at resale shops or yard sales is crazy. Hence why I am so willing to get a C64 Maxi and stick with emulation. ?

A classic geek & family man who enjoys all things retro! Computers, hardware, games, electronics, etc. Expert at nothing, professional hobbyist, and old-school blogger!
Strider

Post by Strider »

I can't seem to stop...

I love these Raspberry Pi cases from RetroFlag! The GeeekPi kits are nice, they add a fan and some heatsinks, as well as a carrying/storage bag. Normally, they are either the same price as the standalone case from RetroFlag, or just a couple dollars more. Either way, for around $20, they are worth it in my opinion. Though, my poor little desk is getting pretty cluttered. lol

Do I NEED this one? Not really, but I have a Pi 3B+ that needs a home...so.... ?

Also, this NESPi case is a bit smaller than the MegaPi case my other 3B+ is in, so it will fit into my travel case better, not so tight.

But now I want to try their SNES case too.... ?

nespi.jpg.921b873adfc3ccdec43c81462a21d1b4.jpg

rpcase.thumb.jpg.22f7cc40a2ef5050fd7c62644ef4a476.jpg

snesgens2.jpg.cbd9a5464b881440793ad94e0c8fda0a.jpg

A classic geek & family man who enjoys all things retro! Computers, hardware, games, electronics, etc. Expert at nothing, professional hobbyist, and old-school blogger!
Strider

Post by Strider »

Well, the SNES Themed case arrived. Now my collection is complete! It's a neat case, the "slot" where a game cart would go is your micro SD storage, and the cartridge itself is a magnet that holds itself to the door. Pushing eject opens the door. While I won't use it, it is neat.

superpi-1.thumb.jpg.3bc51205512358ba1213611036c2d2a3.jpgretropi1.thumb.jpg.06661dafa022379546522db1d50c9fff.jpg

Now, if I could only track down the cause of this issue....

I have seen it mentioned in a few other places, so at least its not hardware... Part of the screen will go randomly blank... Thankfully it don't happen all that often and will be addressed in the next version of RetroPie.

retropie-issue-1.gif.27b5d35ac148e0a5d0e16994b34a586f.gif

ZeroByte

Post by ZeroByte »

So it looks like you're using the 8bitdo controllers. Which ones in particular, and what is your opinion of the feel/responsiveness of the controllers? I'm looking to get a couple of them, and am torn between which ones I want along with which adapter dongles - I know they make native SNES -> bluetooth adapters that pair with certain models, and then there are (S)NES-mini wireless adapters that pair with some models, and there are models that pair natively with the Switch, etc.

Strider

Post by Strider »

25 minutes ago, ZeroByte said:

So it looks like you're using the 8bitdo controllers. Which ones in particular, and what is your opinion of the feel/responsiveness of the controllers? I'm looking to get a couple of them, and am torn between which ones I want along with which adapter dongles - I know they make native SNES -> bluetooth adapters that pair with certain models, and then there are (S)NES-mini wireless adapters that pair with some models, and there are models that pair natively with the Switch, etc.

I got an SN30 Pro USB (SN Edition), loved it, and got another one. Wired, because I just prefer it over wireless, and I am never so far my display I need wireless.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07R481CVY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The SN Edition is currently out of stock, but the Gray Edition is in. They are identical, save for the cosmetics.

I bought them specifically for the feel and comfort, they feel great and I can play for hours without issue, just like the old SNES controllers. Responsiveness does not seem to be an issue either, that is to say, I have not noticed it in any games, at all. Not even Tetris at level 12+. ?

Overall, I love the 8Bitdo controllers, as well as Hyperkin and Retrobit. They all seem to make good ones.

SlithyMatt

Post by SlithyMatt »

I bought one (well, actually two) of those NES Classic knock-offs from Wish out of sheer morbid curiosity. Turns out to not be quite as horrible as I had feared (which was really bad), as captured in my latest video: 

ZeroByte

Post by ZeroByte »

I'm really torn on what to shell out the bucks for, as I have several goals and am not sure how many of them can be achieved in one set of controllers/wireless adapters.

Primary systems to interact with: (descending order of importance)

• SNES classic (via this adapter)

• Commander X16 (via the SNES adapter)

• Linux PC

• Raspberry Pi

• Nintendo Switch (playing NES/SNES games on the switch online service)

I generally don't play modern games on PC, and if I do, I usually prefer WASD+Mouse over a controller. Anything that WOULD use a controller would be retro titles like Wolf3d, Commander Keen, etc - games that I originally played using a Gravis Gamepad. The bluetooth SN-30 Pro controller would fit all of these niches, with the one exception being that they're not original SNES form factor.

Then there's this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Controller-Classic-nintendo_super_NES-super-nintendo/dp/B074HBNNH6?ref_=ast_sto_dp&th=1&psc=1

It would basically require a dongle for each type of thing I'd hook it up to but the primary system (SNES classic) would work with this right out of the box. I'm just not 100% certain that the SNES adapter dongle would be compatible with this second model controller, as it's 2.4GHz and the dongle says it's bluetooth...

Strider

Post by Strider »

10 hours ago, SlithyMatt said:

I bought one (well, actually two) of those NES Classic knock-offs from Wish out of sheer morbid curiosity. Turns out to not be quite as horrible as I had feared (which was really bad), as captured in my latest video:

Excellent video! I have considered buying so many of those knock-offs but never really bit the bullet and tried any. I got rid of all my "plug & play" units in favor of using Raspberry Pi for it's versatility and customization, as much as I liked them, I don't want to go back to the P&P devices. Even if I do think they are cool. lol

10 hours ago, ZeroByte said:

I'm really torn on what to shell out the bucks for, as I have several goals and am not sure how many of them can be achieved in one set of controllers/wireless adapters.

Primary systems to interact with: (descending order of importance)

• SNES classic (via this adapter)

• Commander X16 (via the SNES adapter)

• Linux PC

• Raspberry Pi

• Nintendo Switch (playing NES/SNES games on the switch online service)

I generally don't play modern games on PC, and if I do, I usually prefer WASD+Mouse over a controller. Anything that WOULD use a controller would be retro titles like Wolf3d, Commander Keen, etc - games that I originally played using a Gravis Gamepad. The bluetooth SN-30 Pro controller would fit all of these niches, with the one exception being that they're not original SNES form factor.

Then there's this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Controller-Classic-nintendo_super_NES-super-nintendo/dp/B074HBNNH6?ref_=ast_sto_dp&th=1&psc=1

It would basically require a dongle for each type of thing I'd hook it up to but the primary system (SNES classic) would work with this right out of the box. I'm just not 100% certain that the SNES adapter dongle would be compatible with this second model controller, as it's 2.4GHz and the dongle says it's bluetooth...

That was my issue, finding something that met all my wants for my emulation. I wanted an SNES style controller, but I also wanted analog controls for PS1 and some arcade emulation, and I wanted 4 shoulder buttons, and wired. That's what lead me to the SN30 Pro's features. It ticked all my boxes and once I got it in my hands, I could not have been happier. I have all my desired consoles covered in terms of button coverage.

That being said, I do have a Hyperkin joystick for Atari, a Mayflash F101 arcade stick for some arcade games that are best played on micro-switches, and I just ordered a Retro-Bit Sega Genesis controller.... just becasue. I want to pair them with the MegaPi case. What's nice about those is they are officially licensed by Sega.

For me, controls were almost more important than the emulation. I am used to emulation, but I wanted comfortable controls as close to authentic as possible.

Scott Robison

Post by Scott Robison »

I've played with my new The C64. It's not bad. Either the lag on the USB joystick makes games I used to play harder, or my age. But I don't feel older most of the time, so it must be the hardware. ?