BASIC 2? Why not get BASIC 7?

Chat about anything CX16 related that doesn't fit elsewhere
Snickers11001001

Post by Snickers11001001 »

1 minute ago, BruceMcF said:

qualifies as a little bit retro anyway

I've been enjoying seeing youtubers putting together/restoring what they term "super retro" WinTel computers.  And then seeing Pentium II machines running Windows 98~   

At first I'm inclined to think, "hey...  I actually knew entire law and accounting firms that did a decade of productive work on machines like that!!   Retro?! "   

But then I realize it proves I'm an older dude than I like to admit!

BruceMcF

Post by BruceMcF »

Yeah, if they were in high school at the time and it was the computer they played video games on when Dad didn't have to work late at home, that's retro for them.

Of course, the thing about the old enough to drink rule is that it lets a UK programmer work with code from something like 2007, so I'm not sure if I would actually use it as a rule of thumb, as opposed to a snarky comment.

kelli217

Post by kelli217 »

20 hours ago, BruceMcF said:

There's rpi-basic:

Last commit was about 8 years ago. Hmm. What about a Colour Maximite 2?

BruceMcF

Post by BruceMcF »

7 hours ago, kelli217 said:

Last commit was about 8 years ago.

It was indeed, as @Scott Robison and I discussed. And, to repeat the following discussion, the Basic it was based on is not actively developed either, so, maybe in recuscitating that project, use basicpp instead of uBasic.

Hmm. What about a Colour Maximite 2?

Wait ... the Colour Maximite is a "bare metal Basic experience for the pi?" That is not the impression I picked up from Youtube.

grommile

Post by grommile »

19 hours ago, BruceMcF said:

the thing about the old enough to drink rule is that it lets a UK programmer work with code from something like 2007

The legal age to purchase alcoholic drinks in the UK is 18, and has been for a very long time.

The legal age to consume drinks above 0.5% ABV, other than in a private home, is 16 for beer, wine, or cider served with a meal in an on-licensed establishment in England or Wales while accompanied by an adult, and 18 for any other circumstance.

The legal age to consume drinks above 0.5% ABV in a private home is 5 in England and Wales, 14 in Northern Ireland, and undefined (thus nonexistent) in Scotland.

BruceMcF

Post by BruceMcF »

1 hour ago, grommile said:

The legal age to purchase alcoholic drinks in the UK is 18, and has been for a very long time.

The legal age to consume drinks above 0.5% ABV, other than in a private home, is 16 for beer, wine, or cider served with a meal in an on-licensed establishment in England or Wales while accompanied by an adult, and 18 for any other circumstance.

The legal age to consume drinks above 0.5% ABV in a private home is 5 in England and Wales, 14 in Northern Ireland, and undefined (thus nonexistent) in Scotland.

While in Ohio, as in most states in the US due to losing part of your highway funding if you don't fall in line, all of those outside a home are 21.

However, I am gutted that the soccer star movie where the young Mexican player is discovered in LA and goes to play with the Magpies youth team is not a 100% accurate documentary. Teammates ask if he wants to go out drinking, and he says sure and starts looking for his passport. They ask what he's doing, he says he's looking for proof of age, and when they look puzzled, he asks what's the drinking age. They say, "14".

So unless there are pubs in Newcastle upon Tyne that have their own drinking age at variance with the legal drinking age, that line in the movie is bollocks.

Movies based entirely on fictional characters in realistic settings should be 100% accurate, except for the being entirely fictional part!

grommile

Post by grommile »

3 hours ago, BruceMcF said:

So unless there are pubs in Newcastle upon Tyne that have their own drinking age at variance with the legal drinking age, that line in the movie is bollocks.

I'm pretty sure there are probably still pubs in Newcastle that will serve 14-year-olds as long as the pigs aren't looking ?

kelli217

Post by kelli217 »

On 7/31/2021 at 6:42 AM, BruceMcF said:

Wait ... the Colour Maximite is a "bare metal Basic experience for the pi?" That is not the impression I picked up from Youtube.

It isn't... but the CMM2 is based on an ARM processor, and the source code for its BASIC is available for personal use at https://mmbasic.com/

Cyber

Post by Cyber »

On 7/30/2021 at 2:44 AM, Scott Robison said:

the PI really needs a bare metal BASIC-like experience. Something that is just "instant" on and you don't have to think about linux or whatever.

There is bare metal BASIC for RPi Pico. It is almost the same BASIC as on Maximites/Micromites.

Though Pico is only an MCU without colour video output, intended for embedded use. But still one can get lots of fun from it.

Jump to the last post in topic to find latest beta release: https://www.thebackshed.com/forum/ViewTopic.php?FID=16&TID=13998

Development is active now.

TomXP411

Post by TomXP411 »

On 8/2/2021 at 9:53 PM, Cyber said:

There is bare metal BASIC for RPi Pico. It is almost the same BASIC as on Maximites/Micromites.

Though Pico is only an MCU without colour video output, intended for embedded use. But still one can get lots of fun from it.

Jump to the last post in topic to find latest beta release: https://www.thebackshed.com/forum/ViewTopic.php?FID=16&TID=13998

Development is active now.

I basically (no pun intended) gave up on embedded BASICs and decided to start seeing what I can do with Circuit Python and MicroPython on those embedded systems. I'm starting to cotton to the idea of a MicroPython computer, formed around an MCU board like the Teensy or Pi Pico, with some sort of video display on a second chip - probably a second MCU driving a VGA connector. One of my thoughts is a dual Teensy setup: one teensy acting as a terminal, with an SPI interface to the second Teensy, which would be running the actual operating system and deal with the peripheral devices. Not unlike the Commander and VERA, come to think of it, but I'm going to point more solidly at MSX systems or the Commodore 128's 80-column setup. Or even the Apple I (for those of us who have watched David's latest video.)