(new title): Hard decision, but the answer is pretty clear.

Chat about anything CX16 related that doesn't fit elsewhere
x16tial

Post by x16tial »

And "adult in the room" is a commonly used phrase meaning someone who makes a hard decision, usually reluctantly.  As what would be required if the X8 were chosen to be the sole platform.

BruceMcF

Post by BruceMcF »

EDIT

x16tial

Post by x16tial »

He wasn't insulting anybody, it was to his own staff, and was widely reported and acknowledged as such, as a rallying cry for the campaign.  As in, "if we're not talking about the economy, we're doing something wrong".   But if you see it as an insult, again, that's up to you.  But we digress.

To the retro future!  Whatever form it takes.

StephenHorn

Post by StephenHorn »

Whether x16tial intended to insult isn't really the point, though. Personally, I read the title as an insult towards much of the community, and it seems I'm not alone in that assessment.

I can't even imagine how such a supposed reference is supposed to be contextual enough on a site like this for most people to read it any other way.

That's all I really want to say in this discussion.

Developer for Box16, the other X16 emulator. (Box16 on GitHub)
I also accept pull requests for x16emu, the official X16 emulator. (x16-emulator on GitHub)
x16tial

Post by x16tial »

Well, all I can do is explain the intention and the reference, which has been done.  It was a risk, that everyone wouldn't know the reference, but the intention and the reference has been explained: that a hard decision could be made, and there's a clear winning strategy on the other side of that hard decision.

StephenHorn

Post by StephenHorn »

You could... edit the title? You know, if you don't want to distract people who don't associate this website with politics, and thus gather the wrong impression.

Looks like I can still edit titles on posts I made many months ago. I feel confident that this is within your power.

Developer for Box16, the other X16 emulator. (Box16 on GitHub)
I also accept pull requests for x16emu, the official X16 emulator. (x16-emulator on GitHub)
x16tial

Post by x16tial »

So if someone makes a reference to a movie quote, the discussion is forever and always about movies? Puzzling, but I will change the title if I can.

Edit: done.

Scott Robison

Post by Scott Robison »

1 hour ago, BruceMcF said:

But, but, but ... goddamit, I'm calling it the LX8 to be clever. Heck, if they sell them and I buy one, I'll keep on calling it the LX8.

It's pretty obvious that David is calling them the X16's and X8. The board even as "X8" on it. It would be silly to try to change it's official name, but the comment to call it the Lieutenant X8 was too witty to not give it some props.

I agree it was clever. That's why I posted I thought it was a great nickname about three minutes after the original post suggesting it. I don't feel the need to keep calling it the 68. LX8? Pidgin Roman / Arabic numeral hybrid? Anyone? {crickets} Or maybe I should just start calling it the LXVIII!

I'm sorry I've apparently stepped on toes or some such, as this reaction seems way over the top to innocent remarks on my part.

SolidState

Post by SolidState »

6 hours ago, Wavicle said:

Ah, okay. Those were only the board design files as far as I know. I was hoping the RTL for VERA had been published since it is the only bespoke "ASIC" in the X16.

What was posted was a complete standalone project. I have a copy of the following repos:

• commanderx8 / x8-emu - emulator

• commanderx8 / x8-rom - X8 ROM containing BASIC and KERNAL

• commanderx8 / x8-fpga - FPGA image in Verilog

• commanderx8 / x8-pcb - KiCAD files of schematic/PCB 

I played around with it using an iCEBreaker board a few months ago. I can't remember if that board had enough I/O breakout to support everything. If it did then could create an X8 breakout board for the iCEBreaker ecosystem. I'm buried in another project so didn't pursue it much further. It looks like there's close to 100 people interested in an X8 board, so this might be one way to get them the hardware.

It's amazing how much work went into the X8 now I take another look at it. I don't understand why you wouldn't release it.

SolidState

Post by SolidState »

6 hours ago, Wavicle said:

Ah, okay. Those were only the board design files as far as I know. I was hoping the RTL for VERA had been published since it is the only bespoke "ASIC" in the X16.

What was posted was a complete standalone project. I have a copy of the following repos:

• commanderx8 / x8-emu - emulator

• commanderx8 / x8-rom - X8 ROM containing BASIC and KERNAL

• commanderx8 / x8-fpga - FPGA image in Verilog

• commanderx8 / x8-pcb - KiCAD files of schematic/PCB 

I played around with it using an iCEBreaker board a few months ago. I can't remember if that board had enough I/O breakout to support everything. If it did then could create an X8 breakout board for the iCEBreaker ecosystem. I'm buried in another project so didn't pursue it much further. It looks like there's close to 100 people interested in an X8 board, so this might be one way to get them the hardware.

It's amazing how much work went into the X8 now I take another look at it. I don't understand why you wouldn't release it.