Commander X16 vs. Mega 65

Chat about anything CX16 related that doesn't fit elsewhere
EMwhite

Post by EMwhite »

8 hours ago, maktos said:

Hmmm.... I wonder if they're trying to release and cash in on some of that pent-up demand for the X16, before the dev kits become available?

There are probably a number of people who like either, but can only afford one. We are talking about $600, not $50.

So the first system to market gets the sales from this group of people, and probably their long-term support (developing for the platform) as well.

Yes, they probably will cash in on the vacuum/void here.  Then again, Mega 65 is more accessible to Germany and some other European countries than it would be from North America and vice versa.  Always room for both, or more than two.

Speaking of which, on this side of Earth (North America), there is Foenix "C256 U" and the 68K A2560; both are shipping this week (I've seen at least a 1/2 dozen people lining up for it over there from this forum).  It's something new and interesting that is real, has modern graphics, a fast clock speed, uses PS/2 kbd / mouse,  is 65xx* based (for the most part) but also has C compilers and other tools available and piles of memory.  Who can say 'no' to something that cost $220? (don't answer that ?).

Holding out for something $50 or something $450 or more is sort of a non-starter for me.  I'm hungry and Foenix sits in the sweet spot but no, it won't run Pet Basic programs or C64 SW.  It does has SID sound (and more), and other niceties.  

Starsickle

Post by Starsickle »

Hmmm.... I wonder if they're trying to release and cash in on some of that pent-up demand for the X16, before the dev kits become available?

I doubt it.

It doesn't

have

a

USB port.

And it has a DISK DRIVE

It is two thousand and twenty one. This is clearly a mantle-piece and not something to be used by a real person.

EMwhite

Post by EMwhite »

Thought Mega had an SD card slot (or two)?  That’s modern.

And a 1581 compatible drive is not a horrible thing.

rje

Post by rje »

Yes - SD and ethernet.

Yazwho

Post by Yazwho »

The Mega 65 isn't available is it? Can't find anywhere to pre-order or anything similar?

Scott Robison

Post by Scott Robison »

2 hours ago, Yazwho said:

The Mega 65 isn't available is it? Can't find anywhere to pre-order or anything similar?

I received an announcement via email that they would be opening pre-orders next week. I haven't found any other information about it at this point.

EMwhite

Post by EMwhite »

Does anybody know how they are dealing with shipping/import tariff (shipping method).  As an American of Canadian ancestry : ) , I appreciate when I buy something from England that is shipped via DHL, arrives in 2 days for a reasonable price and no import duties due (TFW8Bit is brilliant at this).  If Germany is the point-of-origin, I wonder what that will mean for North America?  Anybody know?

Scott Robison

Post by Scott Robison »

21 minutes ago, EMwhite said:

Does anybody know how they are dealing with shipping/import tariff (shipping method).  As an American of Canadian ancestry : ) , I appreciate when I buy something from England that is shipped via DHL, arrives in 2 days for a reasonable price and no import duties due (TFW8Bit is brilliant at this).  If Germany is the point-of-origin, I wonder what that will mean for North America?  Anybody know?

I do not know, and cannot find more details at this time. In the interest of sharing what I do know, here is a screen grab of the email I received:

image.thumb.png.4c2285f65c364356ab8cc4c346701f05.png

Mindrail

Post by Mindrail »

I would just like to address the comments about Mega65 trying to cash in on X16's void.

They have had a very clear direction for many years (2014?). They're not trying to react to a market etc, or gauge what the community wants.. it's a very defined project that has attracted a community that finds the vision appealing.

They wanted the devkits released last year, they made it happen. Then they've been pushing hard all year to make sure the final release and pre-order lines up with the 30th anniversary of commodore cancelling the c65 (1991). 

I can honestly say i have never seen any comments in the mega65 discord about trying to take  community away from x16 (in fact the opposite, there has been talk about not porting the x16 core to the mega65 to not impact the x16 project, unless approached by Dave etc).

There is no cashing in intent at all. Mega is not for profit organisation and Mega65 is a not for profit project. 

Both projects are very different from each other, with some overlap.

There is plenty of room for both a closed design like x16 and open like mega65 in the world.

As far as shipping and tariffs.. They shipped the devkits with dhl I believe and it was very quick arriving in Australia.

But the best place for those sort of questions would be the mega65 forum or discord :).

Hope that sheds some light on the thread for people not following the Mega65 project :).

Scott Robison

Post by Scott Robison »

I concur!