Change of product direction, good and bad news!

Announcements by the development team or forum staff.
Janne Sirén

Post by Janne Sirén »

On 9/29/2021 at 1:59 AM, rje said:

Agreed... and I think this is where we're at, if you define the core as KERNAL + system RAM + VERA, and of course the KERNAL upgrade has a call for copying memory to VRAM.

From 8BG's post, it seems likely that at least a thousand X16's can be produced.  Is that enough for an ecosystem?  I don't know.  8,000 ZX Nexts were sold, it seems, and I assume that it has a decent ecosystem.

The thing is, I believe "hitting hardware" is exactly the appeal of a platform like this. What differentiates it from coding, say, a RasPi. So personally I'd prefer hardware level compatibility between different platform models, not just through an abstraction layer like kernal, as much as possible.

But each their own of course, just adding my opinion to the poll. ?

paulscottrobson

Post by paulscottrobson »

On 9/28/2021 at 7:49 PM, rje said:

The ecosystem for the X8 will be highly performant games and smaller demos.

This includes BASIC programs like Lunar Lander and Rogue-like games.  But I'll tell you, once I got CC65 working, I never looked back.  BASIC is not friendly for longer and more complex games.

Also, BASIC 2.0+ is no country for programs over 8K by people older than 12 years old.  Your brain has to be super spongy.

It also includes more cutting-edge assembly-coded games.  Maybe even some shooters resembling Wolf 3D. 

Don't underestimate the smaller BASIC/Assembler hybrid. There's a few machines like this, the Acorn machines, the Memotech MTX spring to mind. These allow you to embed Assembler in BASIC, and it can work quite well. The advantage, especially for the 6502 is significant.

paulscottrobson

On 9/29/2021 at 6:37 AM, Ju+Te said:

I wouldn't care much about a case. Design a board's form factor, bring that board to the market and if there are enough boards sold, cases will occur on the market on their own. The RaspPi also came without case and it didn't hurt it.

I think the sensible thing to do is to build it to a standard form factor. So the X16 could fit in a Micro ATX maybe, and the X8 in a Raspberry PI case, so people don't have to think about it if they don't want to. My requirements would be "something cheap and solid enough so it doesn't get lost or broken". If people want they can mount the board on a bit of wood or perspex, or acquire a custom made case.

One of the things that put me off Stefany's machine wasn't the machine itself or the $300 it costs ; it's that it's not a standard case layout (I think !) and the available one is half the price of the computer. And I just don't care about the case.

BruceMcF

Post by BruceMcF »

On 9/28/2021 at 11:24 PM, john_e79 said:

TL;DR: I'm new here and catching up on things, but wanted to share some preliminary thoughts in different areas in detail. Mostly about the cases, the X8, and the VERA.

Perifractic should make a case for the Raspberry Pis that's like the X16 case and has space for a decent fan like those RGB cooler tower ones....

So I'm just simply saying, there's market potential here for better cases, and I rather liked the X16 case design.

That might be a different kind of thing than the partial case customization he was working on when he was a member of the team. Both the Micro ATX and the Mini ITX cases were customized front ends to existing available cases, where the customization would be done by the existing case maker so long as the quantity order was high enough (IIRC, 1,000 minimum order).

The X16 that we are seeing in the prototype boards is the Micro-ATX sized X16p, the one made as much as possible with through hole ASIC chips. Enough of the kind of people who would like to build their own X16p would also probably like their own case, plus the time required to build the X16p boards holding down the maximum number of built boards that might be offered in a crowdfund that hitting the required volume for the Micro-ATX case might be problematic. That is, at least, my speculation. In any event, the decision has been made to not go ahead with that.

Designing a bespoke case for a RPi would be either doing a new mold or else finding an existing case that could be modified, but unless the customization is 3D printed, the same volume of orders issue kicks in. And in any event, Perifractic would not be likely to go ahead with something like that without clearing it with the present design team. And really, unless/until the design team settles on their new plan for their development path, they wouldn't be in a position to lay out what parallel developments by Perifractic would be compatible/supportive.

I'm trying to like the X8, but don't know a whole lot about it, and how it differentiates itself from the C64 Mini. I've got one of those here too. If you start saying Raspberry Pi-sized FPGA, I start thinking IoT. The C64 Mini I found is not so good on the USB drivers. I finally got my Raspberry Pi Zero W to work with it as a USB boot protocol keyboard HID on the C64 Mini with some work, but the C64 Mini still doesn't work with my Arduino Nano 33 IoT with basically the same boot keyboard HID descriptor, it's a fiddly mess. I might get around that by changing the VID/PID, but I don't know what that's going to do yet in the Arduino IDE, as in screwing things up to reprogram it later. The more IoT-friendly the X8 gets the better. I start thinking IoT though and some words suddenly come to mind like UART/I2C/SPI, GPIO pins, Analog pins, PWM pins, 3.3V or 5V... I don't know what's all on the X8.

I think that both the through-hole kit and FPGA should be released. After all the Commodore had the Pet, the VIC-20, the C64, the Amiga...

How it differentiates itself from the C64 Mini is that it's an actual 8bit SOC system, designed on an FPGA platform, rather than being a software emulation of an 8bit system running on a 32bit SOC. It is a 64K RAM system with a small bootloader loading the Kernel & Basic from a serial flashROM, with the video system that is whatever X16 things fit into 64KB ... minus however much of the 64KB video RAM you use as extended memory.

As far as the IoT things on the X8, at present, basically none. There are two pins used for some form of debugger serial access to the X8, and maybe one I/O pin available (maybe not). My idea is that hopefully that debugger serial access pins can also be used as a two pin UART, and to use that extra pin to get multiple external selects on the SPI that is already used to reload the Basic/Kernel system from the flashROM and to access the SD card.

Someone else ... I think @Wavicle ... had the idea of overloading the debug pins with an I2C interface (since the FPGA that the X8 is built on has built in I2C modules as well as SPI modules).

But in any event, if it was used for IoT, it would be IoT programming pretty much from the bare metal in 6502 assembly code. That is not going to tick the boxes for 99%+ of people interested in playing around with IoT stuff, but that sounds like fun to me.

I can see that there are folks adamantly commenting in here that want things cut for cost to hit their ideal price point. The question then becomes, what is your ideal price point, and what can you do with it if you cut down cost too much, will you be able to do what you want to do with it? I'd like to know from those who want the X8 to be at a very low price point what that price point is and what they want to do with it. Make sure to test for feasibility, that's why that emulator is there. It maybe needs an update with an X8 mode for testing.

The point here is that there are several price points that is part of issue of whether to go with the X8. The X8 approach simply is cheaper than making a mostly FPGA based system that is compatible across the board with the X16p ... David's estimate is roughly half the cost.

The X8 already exists. Whatever price point it can be produced at is implied by an existing design. All of my hundreds/thousands of words spilled urging the opening up of the design to allow for a useful "hat" is just about tweaking an existing design. Indeed, none of it is about reducing cost, so much as about adding useful expansion capability at the smallest increase in cost.

The process of designing the X16e literally can't start until the X16p design is finalized, since its whole point would be to be to be the same to software as the X16p.

Remember, we aren't the ones designing any of this. This isn't a "crowd designed" project (indeed, crowds cannot design complex systems). We are just giving (in some cases quite extensive) feedback to the design team. So our opinions about hitting price points and which marketing approach are best are just that ... our opinions. In the end, it'll be the design team's decisions to make.

rje

Post by rje »

On 9/29/2021 at 4:12 AM, Janne Sirén said:

The thing is, I believe "hitting hardware" is exactly the appeal of a platform like this. What differentiates it from coding, say, a RasPi. So personally I'd prefer hardware level compatibility between different platform models, not just through an abstraction layer like kernal, as much as possible.

But each their own of course, just adding my opinion to the poll. ?

Ah, I get your meaning -- that goes to the original intent of the three versions of the X16.  They're all X16s, even though they're built differently.

(As far as hitting hardware, well, I suppose the original X16e wouldn't hit any of the hardware, per se since all of it is mushed onto something like a single FPGA...)

I know that 8BG has a soft spot for Commodore, one I understand, so I suspect that it's not just about the hardware, and therefore an ABI for X8 compatibility at least seems a fun and useful idea!

BruceMcF

Post by BruceMcF »

(As far as hitting hardware, well, I suppose the original X16e wouldn't hit any of the hardware, per se since all of it is mushed onto something like a single FPGA...)

Hitting the firmware?

Janne Sirén

Post by Janne Sirén »

FPGA when commanded with assembly without abstraction is hitting hardware. It is real transistors, not emulation, once the FPGA is setup.

john_e79

Post by john_e79 »

On 9/29/2021 at 7:39 AM, BruceMcF said:

That might be a different kind of thing than the partial case customization he was working on when he was a member of the team. Both the Micro ATX and the Mini ITX cases were customized front ends to existing available cases, where the customization would be done by the existing case maker so long as the quantity order was high enough (IIRC, 1,000 minimum order).

The X16 that we are seeing in the prototype boards is the Micro-ATX sized X16p, the one made as much as possible with through hole ASIC chips. Enough of the kind of people who would like to build their own X16p would also probably like their own case, plus the time required to build the X16p boards holding down the maximum number of built boards that might be offered in a crowdfund that hitting the required volume for the Micro-ATX case might be problematic. That is, at least, my speculation. In any event, the decision has been made to not go ahead with that.

Designing a bespoke case for a RPi would be either doing a new mold or else finding an existing case that could be modified, but unless the customization is 3D printed, the same volume of orders issue kicks in. And in any event, Perifractic would not be likely to go ahead with something like that without clearing it with the present design team. And really, unless/until the design team settles on their new plan for their development path, they wouldn't be in a position to lay out what parallel developments by Perifractic would be compatible/supportive.

I'm talking a case that's totally separate of anything to do with the X16, totally new mold, just in somewhat of a similar kind of style but a new and different design. I'm only mentioning that because if I go to a retailer like my local Microcenter and look at the selection of Raspberry Pi boards they have, it's not all that impressive of a selection when it comes to cases. They all seem to have a tendency to check a few boxes and then leave out some important things.

So if the X16 prototype is a microATX form factor can't you just pick up any old regular microATX case from a Microcenter or Amazon or wherever then? If it's a kit that comes as a maker board kind of like the PE6502 probably anyone who solders parts together is going to just want to buy their own microATX case anyway is my guess. If that's all true, it just doesn't seem like that big of a deal then.

How it differentiates itself from the C64 Mini is that it's an actual 8bit SOC system, designed on an FPGA platform, rather than being a software emulation of an 8bit system running on a 32bit SOC. It is a 64K RAM system with a small bootloader loading the Kernel & Basic from a serial flashROM, with the video system that is whatever X16 things fit into 64KB ... minus however much of the 64KB video RAM you use as extended memory.

As far as the IoT things on the X8, at present, basically none. There are two pins used for some form of debugger serial access to the X8, and maybe one I/O pin available (maybe not). My idea is that hopefully that debugger serial access pins can also be used as a two pin UART, and to use that extra pin to get multiple external selects on the SPI that is already used to reload the Basic/Kernel system from the flashROM and to access the SD card.

Someone else ... I think @Wavicle ... had the idea of overloading the debug pins with an I2C interface (since the FPGA that the X8 is built on has built in I2C modules as well as SPI modules).

But in any event, if it was used for IoT, it would be IoT programming pretty much from the bare metal in 6502 assembly code. That is not going to tick the boxes for 99%+ of people interested in playing around with IoT stuff, but that sounds like fun to me.

Maybe not 99%, but I'm in that 1%, and I think that number is going to grow because you can get away with doing BASIC at first but eventually you might want to do some more performant things in ASM. Totally agree on reusing the debugger as a UART or I2C.

The point here is that there are several price points that is part of issue of whether to go with the X8. The X8 approach simply is cheaper than making a mostly FPGA based system that is compatible across the board with the X16p ... David's estimate is roughly half the cost.

The X8 already exists. Whatever price point it can be produced at is implied by an existing design. All of my hundreds/thousands of words spilled urging the opening up of the design to allow for a useful "hat" is just about tweaking an existing design. Indeed, none of it is about reducing cost, so much as about adding useful expansion capability at the smallest increase in cost.

The process of designing the X16e literally can't start until the X16p design is finalized, since its whole point would be to be to be the same to software as the X16p.

Remember, we aren't the ones designing any of this. This isn't a "crowd designed" project (indeed, crowds cannot design complex systems). We are just giving (in some cases quite extensive) feedback to the design team. So our opinions about hitting price points and which marketing approach are best are just that ... our opinions. In the end, it'll be the design team's decisions to make.

Here's a question, does the x16e have to be the same software-wise as the X16p? You mentioned in an earlier comment the need to move to a better board for the X16e than the existing VERA. So for those of us in the crowd of wanting things like more VRAM, maybe have a X16p compatibility mode, but also allow us to have X16e specific games and apps utilizing whatever features come from a VERA 2.0 you might call it.

If you had enough VRAM for a 640x480x256 bitmap, so 307,200 bytes, you would have enough for 4 screens of 320x240x256 hardware scrolling, maybe even more VRAM for more layers for parallax scrolling and/or more sprites. Sounds like it would better complement other features like the YM2151 and SNES controller ports, considering all of what the SNES PPU offered, which is even more than that with features like scaling and rotation.

Then you would basically have the lower end (C64-ish X8), the middle (TG-16-ish X16p?), and the high end (Amiga/SNES/X68000-ish X16e?). That seems like a winner to me.

BruceMcF

Post by BruceMcF »

On 9/29/2021 at 3:47 PM, john_e79 said:

Here's a question, does the x16e have to be the same software-wise as the X16p? You mentioned in an earlier comment the need to move to a better board for the X16e than the existing VERA. So for those of us in the crowd of wanting things like more VRAM, maybe have a X16p compatibility mode, but also allow us to have X16e specific games and apps utilizing whatever features come from a VERA 2.0 you might call it. ...

I don't know about "have to" ... I'm not in the design team after all .. but the goal for the X16e was that it would be software compatible.

Now, whether it could ALSO have upgrades that become possible when the video chip and CPU are literally built in the same FPGA ... well, I suppose it COULD. The "e" might stand for "enhanced". Indeed, it could have a choice of either the X16 or the X8 or both methods of accessing video memory, and there are bits available in various places of the Vera specification that would allow for using more than 128KB of Video RAM, so you might have "fast" Video RAM in the first 64K accessible through the page access as well as "extended" video RAM available in the X16 data port.

After all, whether or not the design team wants to fragment the hardware platform like that is for them to decide.

I am ambivalent about an "X16+" approach to the X16e, but I kind of like the idea of going ahead with the first X16p and the X8 in parallel, then the X16c, and then if the whole project is going well enough to keep it going, go ahead to an X16e that would also feature an X8 compatibility mode, so it would be One Board to Rule Them All, One Board to Bind Them, One Board To Bring Them All, and In The Darkness Bind Them.

paulscottrobson

"Don't know if anyone reads here *and* the forums but a chap posted this on there today :

"you mentioned that you guys already have an X16 implementation based on FPGA - wouldn’t it make sense at this point to go for that?"

and David responded with:

"Not exactly. We had the X8, but decided it wasn't quite compatible enough. So I think Frank was going to work on the full X16 implementation."

Has a decision been made I wonder ?