Commander X8 Disussion

Chat about anything CX16 related that doesn't fit elsewhere
Wavicle

Commander X8 Disussion

Post by Wavicle »

On 10/18/2021 at 9:12 PM, Mtemal said:

@Wavicle thank you for clarifying that. I was hoping for a clever way to use a BGA package without having to increase the complexity of the PCB layer. I think the external SRAM would be needed if the decided to try and pursue a single ICE40UP solution but with a dual ICE40UP it should be possible without an SRAM. The problem comes down to cost. Prior to the chip shortage the ICE40UP was less than $7.00 a chip, I wonder how high the markup will be when the chips slowly start being available again.

If you're concerned about gouging, suppliers like Mouser will allow you to place a preorder at the normal price. You will have to wait until they get their next reel (currently 11 months out) but you can buy 100 of them for $5/unit.

Oldrooster

Commander X8 Disussion

Post by Oldrooster »

On 10/17/2021 at 8:10 AM, Mtemal said:

I think the ICE40HX8K-CB132 is probably a good candidate that will have enough room for a full X-16 FPGA. I dunno if It’s going to require an external RAM chip to handle the X16 banking.

From the number of logic elements, it's about comparable roughly to an 80's cpu afaik, but it runs at a whopping GHz. It is difficult to solder at home onto a board which is difficult to make at home. The price however, WOW that's cheap as chips ! With prices like that I would think to look at FPGAs for other projects...

You need RAM. nothing that size can do decent video.

On 10/19/2021 at 3:59 AM, Wavicle said:

The iCE40HX8K-CB132 is a tough sell for a couple of reasons:

1. It's a BGA package which is a bit more fiddly for non-machine placed parts and cannot be soldered without a reflow oven.

2. It requires 4 PCB layers with 3.35 mil traces to access all IOs.

3. It lacks the 1Mb SRAM in the iCE40UP line (this is why the X8 has 64K main memory + 64K VRAM, it's using the SRAM for both)

4. With only 128Kb of block RAM, it would require external SRAM no matter what

yes yes huh and yes. I agree with this.

On 10/19/2021 at 6:27 AM, BruceMcF said:

If you have an "X8" on an FPGA capable of accessing a separate 1MB of RAM ... why not just make it fully compatible with the X16p and have the originally described X16e [...]After all, by that point you've pushed the price point into the $50-$100 range, so you've given up the price point that made the X8 intriguing in the first place.

I personally think that having an onboard bus for ram is a good option, because once you have the hardware available to access one Sram or Rom in DIP, that's the end of memory entirely, you no longer need to budget for larger memory so long as there is the Address and data bus exposed so that people can add their own. The project that shall not be named takes such an approach, because people will measure by the base model with un-expanded memory knowing full well that adding memory is a job a cat can do. (so long as a dog makes a tutorial video). PLUS there is the added benefit that you can try before you buy, or at least not get in as deeply as purchasing a fully expanded version.

On 10/19/2021 at 3:07 PM, Mtemal said:

@EMwhite I’m not sure if imaginary is the right term. The prototypes exist. The PCB and FPGA files that are available should allow someone to build their own X8 if they have the parts in the BOM. I would be surprised if there isn’t someone running the “X8” on another FPGA solution considering that the Verilog files are in the FPGA folder.

It's the investment barrier. You have to invest in learning all about FPGA and verilog and dip your toes in the YIKES! and then learn the actual programming to write your software, so is a scary, although perfectly do-able, option.

Plus, once you have made the investment you're giddy with new knowledge and spaced out with imagination thinking of all the possibilities of what you can do with that new found knowledge and exploring beyond the X(men) projects.

On 10/19/2021 at 3:12 PM, Mtemal said:

@Wavicle  I was hoping for a clever way to use a BGA package without having to increase the complexity of the PCB layer. 

there are some clever solutions, but many people won't try them at home, they'd figure it too fiddly.

Oldrooster

Commander X8 Disussion

Post by Oldrooster »

On 10/17/2021 at 8:10 AM, Mtemal said:

the ICE40HX8K-CB132  

Decoding the datasheets (they don't make datasheets like they used to) it has a 132 Ball pins on the IC. The pitch of (spacing between) the pins is half a millimeter.  Regular DIP chips that people love to solder are spaced 2.54 mm apart. Thing is, it's a square array, so the next row is half a millimeter away. There are solutions, but they are fiddly enough to stop 98 % people doing anything with it.

617821681_icevariantof132BGA.png.2a2a3cd6737c0e3d0373c2a9a418e95d.png

but not all bad news, there are big gaps in the ICE variant, so a designer could hack this at home, but it's beyond most hobbyists.

Oldrooster

Commander X8 Disussion

Post by Oldrooster »

BGA to DIP adapters are available, but expensive. ☹️   ( geared towards programming, so they are for repetitive use )

Mtemal

Commander X8 Disussion

Post by Mtemal »

The X8 is a great stepping stone and I hope we see it come to light

Mtemal

Commander X8 Disussion

Post by Mtemal »

On 10/19/2021 at 2:41 AM, Oldrooster said:

BGA to DIP adapters are available, but expensive. ☹️   ( geared towards programming, so they are for repetitive use )

@oldrooster, bga or not anything physical at this point would be great. Perifractic’s case and keyboard design were great step in the right direction and I wish it were economically practical to pull that off. I think this is a very similar  example of Apple’s early days where they struggled to differentiate themselves from the masses. To me it’s cool seeing the emulation based advancements but it would be awesome to fire up a physical machine that’s dedicated to the task instead of a multipurpose general computing product. The X8 concept isn’t fully X-16 “compatible “ but until FPGA price points and availability line up with aspirations everything will still stay conceptual. I would love to have a raspberry pi pico 65c02 ROM that could run with a NON FPGA VERA  simply because of the difficulty in acquiring FPGAs at this point. 

BruceMcF

Commander X8 Disussion

Post by BruceMcF »

On 10/19/2021 at 3:31 AM, Oldrooster said:

Decoding the datasheets (they don't make datasheets like they used to) it has a 132 Ball pins on the IC. The pitch of (spacing between) the pins is half a millimeter.  Regular DIP chips that people love to solder are spaced 2.54 mm apart. Thing is, it's a square array, so the next row is half a millimeter away. There are solutions, but they are fiddly enough to stop 98 % people doing anything with it.

617821681_icevariantof132BGA.png.2a2a3cd6737c0e3d0373c2a9a418e95d.png

but not all bad news, there are big gaps in the ICE variant, so a designer could hack this at home, but it's beyond most hobbyists.

Yes, if it was part of a kit, it would be like the Vera assembly, a daughterboard with surface mount parts that have a pin header to plug into a pair of block headers that can be soldered into the board with DIP parts. If it was the X16e, it would be a built board with surface mount parts placed and soldered in a solder oven in the normal way.

But not having 1MBit SPRAM is a big hurdle to get over. Even if the external RAM can be accessed at 16MHz, you'd need to have to access 16bits at a time to hit the bandwidth of the Vera accessing SPRAM every second cycle at an internal 50MHz clock. So something like 2 64KB 8bit SRAM accessed in parallel and a 1MB SRAM accessed on a single 8bit data bus for Low RAM and 123 segments of High RAM.

I think two of the FPGA that are used for the Vera, one implementing Vera and the other implementing as much of the CX16 as possible is a less expensive approach ... with an external SRAM if it is trying to be an X16e, and if it is trying to be lower cost relying JUST on two FPGA's, then 40K Low RAM, 2x 16KB shadowROM, and 7x 8KB High RAM segments.

with a CX16 bit map using the second internal 1Mbit as 40KB of Low RAM, 32K of ROM, and 56 KB of High RAM (7 High RAM segments) would be less

Mtemal

Commander X8 Disussion

Post by Mtemal »

It’s been over a month since I’ve kicked off this thread. Has anyone built the X8 at this point? Is there a Pi image that runs the X16/X8 to the point where it’s usable? I can run VICE or combian on a pi. Where is the support for this hypothetical computer at this state?

kelli217

Commander X8 Disussion

Post by kelli217 »

On 11/22/2021 at 8:13 PM, Mtemal said:

It’s been over a month since I’ve kicked off this thread. Has anyone built the X8 at this point? Is there a Pi image that runs the X16/X8 to the point where it’s usable? I can run VICE or combian on a pi. Where is the support for this hypothetical computer at this state?

Built from what?

You're WAY ahead of the actual state of things.

The only X8 is in David and Frank's possession. The VHDL files and emulation code are not available in any publicly accessible repository.

David asked the community if they wanted the X8 released as a product, but the community voted against it.

That's a different question than yours. The premise of your question is set in a universe where the X8 is already available as a product, and then asks us if we would buy it. But we don't live in that universe.

TomXP411

Commander X8 Disussion

Post by TomXP411 »

On 11/22/2021 at 6:13 PM, Mtemal said:

Is there a Pi image that runs the X16/X8 to the point where it’s usable?

No, and there never will be. 

While the Pi can run a bare 6502 emulation at a respectable pace, it can't cope with VERA at anything more than about 4MHz effective. So without some serious improvements to the code, the Pi will never be an effective emulation platform for the Commander.