My wedge-style retro computer case

Feel free to talk about any other retro stuff here including Commodore, Sinclair, Atari, Amstrad, Apple... the list goes on!
Ffin72

Post by Ffin72 »

I've had this nagging thought since I first read this thread, that I've seen something similar. I suddenly remembered what it was:

Yours definitely looks more polished, but I'm really loving how FPGA technology and 3D printing are allowing end users to skip the industrial design phase and go straight to making their own dream machines.

AndyMt

Post by AndyMt »

On 12/13/2021 at 11:08 PM, Ffin72 said:

I've had this nagging thought since I first read this thread, that I've seen something similar. I suddenly remembered what it was:

Yes, I know that one, but it looked too blocky for my taste. So I decided to do one myself - what could possibly go wrong ?? ...a lot ?! I made it more difficult for myself because I wanted to put 2 computers in one case...

But now I'm determined to finish it. Today I've integrated the mini-amp and the 2 speakers. They sound astonishingly good - compared to what we had back in the day... The Amiga version of the R-Type intro sounds marvelous! Can't stop playing it.

Ffin72

Post by Ffin72 »

On 12/13/2021 at 10:19 PM, AndyMt said:

But now I'm determined to finish it. Today I've integrated the mini-amp and the 2 speakers. They sound astonishingly good - compared to what we had back in the day... The Amiga version of the R-Type intro sounds marvelous! Can't stop playing it.

That's Amiga for you! Well, keep going, us nerds need more hardware pr0n ?

Perifractic

Post by Perifractic »

Beautiful design Andy! 

Sadly phase 1 definitely wouldn't fit in there without a complete redesign. Phase 2 just about might fit if designed specifically for this form factor. Phase 3 definitely would fit though, so if you make 3D plans available for the community that would probably be a nice option.

Well done!

AndyMt

Post by AndyMt »

On 12/13/2021 at 11:46 PM, Perifractic said:

Beautiful design Andy! 

Thank you very much! I took some inspiration from the front cover of the initially planned X16 desktop-case.

Sadly phase 1 definitely wouldn't fit in there without a complete redesign.

Yes, true. The case would need to be considerably deeper. Also the power connector would need not to be soldered and cables soldered directly instead. To keep proportions I would use a full size keyboard and also make it about 1cm taller. The only problem: my 3D printer is too small for that. So not sure if that will ever happen.

Phase 2 just about might fit if designed specifically for this form factor.

Mini-ITX should fit, although without usable space for expansion cards (maybe a raiser card could work). Also here depends a bit on where the connector for the power supply is placed. The keyboard stands need redesign for sure, as some would sit on the board directly.

so if you make 3D plans available for the community that would probably be a nice option.

Yes, I will make the plans available. Thinking about doing this in the next few days, just the way it is now. Maybe someone comes up with better solutions in some areas.

AndyMt

Post by AndyMt »

I've uploaded the files for the case to Thingiverse, but it seems I have to wait another 24 hours before it's public...

Until then - look into the download section ?

@moderators: there is no category in "downloads" for these kind of files...

Ffin72

Post by Ffin72 »

On 12/13/2021 at 10:19 PM, AndyMt said:

Yes, I know that one, but it looked too blocky for my taste.

Lee has created a new case, this time for the MiSTer Multisystem:

Ffin72

Post by Ffin72 »

Double post ?

Tatwi

Post by Tatwi »

On 12/22/2021 at 11:37 AM, Ffin72 said:

Lee has created a new case, this time for the MiSTer Multisystem:

I must have said, "oh, that's smart!", six times while watching this video. The switch was a solution after my own heart. Mostly though it really sold me on the capabilities of hobby sized 3D printers - you really CAN make something large out of a bunch of smaller pieces and not have it look weird/gross. Still not going to buy one, but I see the potential now! ? 

This two tone design is nice looking and it's cool how it naturally works with the way the printer lays down plastic in "slices". Personally I am not a fan of having that many cuts/lines, because it looks... uncomfortable, but it does have a certain charm. If I made this case I would totally use a red, a green, and a blue button and I'd use one of those SD card slot extension cables to make it available on the right side. Add a power LED and nameplate on the left, just because... maybe a fake cartridge slot to hold my Colecovision Donkey Kong cart...

Heh... I bet you 3D printer owners have the itch to use it for everything. I know I would! lol...

Ffin72

Post by Ffin72 »

On 12/23/2021 at 2:18 AM, Tatwi said:

I must have said, "oh, that's smart!", six times while watching this video. The switch was a solution after my own heart. Mostly though it really sold me on the capabilities of hobby sized 3D printers - you really CAN make something large out of a bunch of smaller pieces and not have it look weird/gross. Still not going to buy one, but I see the potential now! ?

As I have said before, in this thread or another, I truly believe that this is the future of "retro"/vintage/custom computers. Make your own FPGA core, then design your own case. You can even make your own keyboard. I love the design, but not the colours, but hopefully this is just the start ?!