Change of Command

Announcements by the development team or forum staff.
Cyber

Change of Command

Post by Cyber »

Greetings Commandos.

With the start of the new year, some changes are coming to the Commander X16 forums. Today, we are here to announce a new management team for the Commander X16 community.

As you know, @Perifractic has taken a step back to focus on other matters. As a result, he has handed off his stewardship of the Commander X16 forums to key members of the community whilst ensuring hosting and licenses are safely in place through most of 2022. Likewise, @MattGrandis is stepping back from managing the forum software.

As of Jan 4, the members of your new Forum moderation and management team are:

Community Manager: @Cyber

Cyber will be handling community communication. He will manage the forum moderation, as well as liaise between this forum and all of the other social media where things X16-related are happening. If you have a question about the forum, a suggestion, or need moderation help, Cyber is your new point of contact.

Accounts: @JimmyDansbo 

One of the exciting new things we plan to do in the Commander X16 community is allow you, its members, to contribute to the community’s development and maintenance. Jimmy will be leading this effort and keeping the bills paid.

IT: @TomXP411

Tom will be handling the web site and the forum software. So hit him up with technical or web site issues.

In addition, we have two new moderators on staff: @VincentF and @Scott Robison

Both have been prolific posters here on the forum, and Scott has worked with The 8-Bit Guy on the PETSCII Robots project, coding the Commodore 128 version.

As we progress into 2022, we’ll have some big decisions to make. We want all of the members to be part of those decisions, so we will bring you questions and take your input over the coming months. In the meantime, know that all of our efforts are going to make this an inclusive and rewarding space for Commander X16 fans and retrocomputing enthusiasts of all types.

So let’s get set for a great 2022 and beyond.

Perifractic

Change of Command

Post by Perifractic »

Big thanks to the new team members for stepping up. We’re excited that the website and community will endure. Happy 2022 everyone! 

MattGrandis

Change of Command

Post by MattGrandis »

Thank you all for your enthusiasm and making sure that the Commander X16 community will continue to thrive in 2022 and beyond!

desertfish

Change of Command

Post by desertfish »

Thanks to everyone spending their time and effort to keep this thing going and a nice place to be part of!

Ender

Change of Command

Post by Ender »

Thanks everyone for stepping up! I was a little worried after I saw David's post the other day, but it looks like we'll be around for a while yet!

martinot

Change of Command

Post by martinot »

Great to see that the best ever retro forum lives on!

Question; now that David is not interested to neither put money or time into the forum; is it not time to make it true independent and remove the "Copyright © 2021 8-Bit Productions LLC. All rights reserved." on the front page?

Seems weird that a member driven forum should give the copyright to a commercial company (that has not even financed the site).

Scott Robison

Change of Command

Post by Scott Robison »

On 1/7/2022 at 6:34 PM, martinot said:

Question; now that David is not interested to neither put money or time into the forum; is it not time to make it true independent and remove the "Copyright © 2021 8-Bit Productions LLC. All rights reserved." on the front page?

Seems weird that a member driven forum should give the copyright to a commercial company (that has not even financed the site).

Copyright is owned by the original author. In as much as the non-forum material had copyright assigned to 8-Bit Productions, it would be up to the author and/or 8-Bit Productions to change the copyright of that material.

In as much as individuals create content for the forums (be they forum posts, demos, utilities, games, whatever), they maintain the copyright on those themselves (at least according to US law).

There may come a time to more clearly delineate what is and is not the intellectual property of 8-Bit Productions, but for now it doesn't really do any harm. Also, at the moment, there is no legal entity that could assume the copyright anyway.

Look at the copyright as being "the forum templates and configuration currently are the property of 8-Bit Productions but not the total content".

x16tial

Change of Command

Post by x16tial »

On 1/7/2022 at 7:28 AM, Ender said:

Thanks everyone for stepping up! I was a little worried after I saw David's post the other day, but it looks like we'll be around for a while yet!

I still am really baffled by David's borderline disdain for this site.  The consolidated software library with emulator seems like it will/would boost the X16 in a big way.  /shrug

Scott Robison

Change of Command

Post by Scott Robison »

Having talked with David a lot over the last few months, I don't think disdain is the right word. I think it is a matter of he's already invested "five figures" in the project trying to push x16 up the hill. Checking the price for the Invision forum software shows that it is not cheap.

It's not a matter of disdain for the site, it is a matter of making decisions on where to best spend his money. He might come to a different decision than others would, but it's his money to decide how to spend.

Ed Minchau

Change of Command

Post by Ed Minchau »

On 1/7/2022 at 8:27 PM, Scott Robison said:

Having talked with David a lot over the last few months, I don't think disdain is the right word. I think it is a matter of he's already invested "five figures" in the project trying to push x16 up the hill. Checking the price for the Invision forum software shows that it is not cheap.

It's not a matter of disdain for the site, it is a matter of making decisions on where to best spend his money. He might come to a different decision than others would, but it's his money to decide how to spend.

He also spent five figures on the new studio in the back yard.  Yeah, give him a break.