Attack Of The PETSCII Robots (The 8-Bit Guy)

Talk about your programs in progress. Discuss how to implement features, etc.
Forum rules
This section is for testing Commander X16 programs and programs related to the CX16 for other platforms (compilers, data conversion tools, etc.)

Feel free to post works in progress, test builds, prototypes, and tech demos.

Finished works go in the Downloads category. Don't forget to add a hashtag (#) and the version number your program was meant to run on. (ie: #R41).
TomXP411

Post by TomXP411 »

This is The 8-Bit Guy's new game, Attack Of The PETSCII Robots. 

In case you haven't heard of it, this game debuted on the Commodore PET, using entirely PETSCII graphics and 1-bit sound. Then it got ported to about 73 different computer platforms overnight. Okay, it's actually more like twelve, but seriously: every major 8-bit platform of the 80s is either represented or in progress. 

Prices range from $10 for a digital version up to $50 for an autographed box. 

My favorite versions so far are the C128 and Amiga versions, although I got the original PET/VIC/C64 version as well. Each of these versions looks, sounds, and plays a little different, so if you can afford to buy them all - do. Since the ports are done by different people, they all have a little different flavor, which keeps them fresh. 

David also just previewed the Atari 7800 and Sega Genesis versions, which look fantastic. 

martinot

Post by martinot »

Waiting for the native version for Apple IIGS that takes advatage of it sounds and graphics! ? ?

Strider

Post by Strider »

I bought the Amiga version, but darn it, I want the C128 version just for the dual monitor setup. I also want the C64 version just to put on the C64 Mini...

Yes, I have a problem, but there are no programs for retro gaming addictions. ?

Personally, I think it would be cool to see a version that could be released on a platform like Steam. As good as this game is, it's a shame it's currently limited to classic computer systems, I think it would go over well with indie gamers in general. Plus, make some more money for David to dump into his other projects. All that being said though, it's getting a lot of good press in the retro/classic computing market, especially since it's being ported to so many different platforms. It's been a long time since we have had such a good game across so many classic systems.

A classic geek & family man who enjoys all things retro! Computers, hardware, games, electronics, etc. Expert at nothing, professional hobbyist, and old-school blogger!
Scott Robison

Post by Scott Robison »

On 1/11/2022 at 3:11 PM, Strider said:

I want the C128 version just for the dual monitor setup

There is a Shareware edition if you wanted to try that.

Strider

Post by Strider »

On 1/11/2022 at 4:47 PM, Scott Robison said:

There is a Shareware edition if you wanted to try that.

I forgot about that. Though, that will likely make me want the full version more.

Every so often, a game would come along where I would end up buying it on all my favorite platforms that I had at the time. I thought those days were long gone...then Attack Of The PETSCII Robots shows up... ?

A classic geek & family man who enjoys all things retro! Computers, hardware, games, electronics, etc. Expert at nothing, professional hobbyist, and old-school blogger!
TomXP411

Post by TomXP411 »

On 1/11/2022 at 2:11 PM, Strider said:

I bought the Amiga version, but darn it, I want the C128 version just for the dual monitor setup. I also want the C64 version just to put on the C64 Mini...

Yes, I have a problem, but there are no programs for retro gaming addictions. ?

Personally, I think it would be cool to see a version that could be released on a platform like Steam. As good as this game is, it's a shame it's currently limited to classic computer systems, I think it would go over well with indie gamers in general. Plus, make some more money for David to dump into his other projects. All that being said though, it's getting a lot of good press in the retro/classic computing market, especially since it's being ported to so many different platforms. It's been a long time since we have had such a good game across so many classic systems.

There has been talk on the FB group of porting it to modern consoles and PC via something like Unity or Unreal Engine. 

Strider

Post by Strider »

On 1/11/2022 at 5:17 PM, TomXP411 said:

There has been talk on the FB group of porting it to modern consoles and PC via something like Unity or Unreal Engine. 

That would be cool to see, and if it was to ever happen, then there would be 4 versions of the game I would "have" to own. Especially if it was ported over to a "modern" engine.

Though, there are a lot of games on Steam that just use emulation as well, mainly DOSBox, for "classic" titles. Some use proprietary emulation, like classic console collections. One thing I do like about modern computing is the wide range of options open to developers and creators. 

Either way, that's nice to hear!

Doigt

Post by Doigt »

I have them all...
Screenshot_20220121_193531.png