Exclusive pack-in software or game?

If you have feature requests, this is the place to post them. Please note your idea may already be something we have already discussed and decided against, or something we are working on privately, and we cannot be held responsible for any similarities in such instance. Whilst we cannot respond to every suggestion, your idea will be read and responded to where possible. Thank you for your input!
Getafix

Post by Getafix »

When the hardware ships, I hope it will come with an SD card with some/any exclusive pack-in software or game?  That will make for a very nice experience "out the box" ?

Perifractic

Post by Perifractic »

We're certainly thinking about that. I have been in touch with some coders for exclusive versions of well known games. We'll have to wait and see to be sure, but it's an appealing idea.

AndyMt

Post by AndyMt »

I would be happy to contribute a title. Exclusive or not...

SlithyMatt

Post by SlithyMatt »

5 hours ago, Perifractic said:

We're certainly thinking about that. I have been in touch with some coders for exclusive versions of well known games. We'll have to wait and see to be sure, but it's an appealing idea.

Are you looking at licensing deals, or variations of classic game genres? Not that I would ever make anything resembling, say, Pac-Man with elements of other games to not be too on the nose. That would just be lazy.

Anyway, if there was a particular kind of game that the team would like to include, I wouldn't mind outsourcing inspiration for my next game. My current game is going to be a very long term development, and it's nice to break it up with projects where I don't have to be quite so creative.

Perifractic

Post by Perifractic »

49 minutes ago, SlithyMatt said:

Are you looking at licensing deals, or variations of classic game genres? Not that I would ever make anything resembling, say, Pac-Man with elements of other games to not be too on the nose. That would just be lazy.

Anyway, if there was a particular kind of game that the team would like to include, I wouldn't mind outsourcing inspiration for my next game. My current game is going to be a very long term development, and it's nice to break it up with projects where I don't have to be quite so creative.

I can't say we have anything specific in mind, but will share more info when we do. Feel free to keep it in mind when developing. ??

TomXP411

Post by TomXP411 »

Sam's Journey would be amazing on the Commander... it's already amazing on the C64, but imagine it with VERA and an 8MHz CPU.... A killer app or game would definitely help the system get attention...  
Raongodz

Post by Raongodz »

Surely Planet X4 will be the pack in game ? lol

Perifractic

Post by Perifractic »

4 hours ago, Raongodz said:

David has said no plans for that unless someone else makes it, but maybe he will make something... ?

rje

Post by rje »

On 8/13/2020 at 3:28 PM, Raongodz said:

I call it “Planet X16”. LOL

TributaryHouse

Post by TributaryHouse »

Something about a tile based tank game - and some PETSCII robots come to mind - almost seems mandatory to be honest.

Actually though, I wanted to throw out that using it as a microcontroller is really attractive. I started in GW basic, then Q, and ended in QB45 before having a bad summer with C++ once - and other than making a LORD clone in QB45 (twenty years ago), I was never really able to get to the real goodies - making BASIC DO stuff. Blink a light, move a stepper, read a thermistor...

My point is, while it appears that is easily done with simple BASIC commands (vis. David's review of the Maximite Color, moving a floppy read-head), a more refined GUI-ish utility that sneaks in teaching the appropriate commands for digital/analog I/O - perhaps with sparkfun type parts callouts... That's the secret ingredient to the Pi and Arduino - they DO things.

Forgive my ignorance - life took me away from the boyish hobbies - but I didn't see GPIO, but one of the expansion slots or that pin-header is where it's at no? Anyways, might consider such a utility to ship with the gizmo - doesn't need components, just a shallower learning curve program to make the X16 hardware-interactive. Considering how fast David's coding is, I doubt it would be too much of a stretch.

Don't be mad at me, it's just a feature that would make me question my budget when this thing is actually for sale :)