Chat about anything CX16 related that doesn't fit elsewhere
Edmond D

The Commander X16 has finally arrived! video

Post by Edmond D »

For those who haven't heard the news - 

Kalvan

Post by Kalvan »

Mr. Murray mentioned a hypotheical maximum of 256 sprites, or double the specification published in the FAQ.

Was this a faux pas, or does the specification there need to be updated beyond the deletion of one of the VIAs?

rje

Post by rje »

Unless VERA changed very recently, that's a misstatement.  But maybe VERA changed very recently.

Ed Minchau

Post by Ed Minchau »

I want one of those first 50 boards. I've put thousands of hours into programming for this machine, and I'm dying to try stuff on the actual hardware. My video demo worked on the emulator but not the actual hardware,  so I need it to debug the code.

TomXP411

Post by TomXP411 »

David has the final prototype in hand! Also, news about dev units and upcoming plans!

Strider

Post by Strider »

David responded to a lot of comments on the video as well, and the best one (in my opinion) was ...

x16kit.jpg.52deb22d3d07db91bd44437553c36b15.jpg

I knew it was going to happen, but it's nice to see more confirmation. That made my day! One step closer to building my X16. ?

A classic geek & family man who enjoys all things retro! Computers, hardware, games, electronics, etc. Expert at nothing, professional hobbyist, and old-school blogger!
AndyMt

Post by AndyMt »

@Ed MinchauI'm on the same boat - let's see how they decide who gets one of those...

Of course I'd like to be on that list, too ? - but I can see there's probably not enough for all of us, so I'll wait patiently.

Tatwi

Post by Tatwi »

Congratulations to all involved.

Personally, given how utterly insane expenses have gotten for our small family (2 parents, 3 kids 12ish-16ish) over the last year, I just cannot foresee a time where I would be able to afford such a thing as the X16 (or any other toy, really). Heck, I just gave my desktop to my kid and I'm now using my old one from 2013, because this old piece of junk was making her Minecrafting miserable. The FX-8320 is basically retro now and Linux still runs well on it, so that's something I guess ? .

The X16 is a cool project and I wish you all well. Enjoy it and each other!

rje

Post by rje »

On 10/11/2022 at 10:53 PM, Ed Minchau said:

I want one of those first 50 boards. I've put thousands of hours into programming for this machine, and I'm dying to try stuff on the actual hardware. My video demo worked on the emulator but not the actual hardware,  so I need it to debug the code.

I don't.  I will need something that's emerged out of the rigor of smart, capable, devoted engineers who know how to fix hardware issues as fast as they're found.

I've debated whether I want the primary machine, but I think if I'm going to get one, I'll want one with expansion slots!

I've also wanted to be able to fit one into my (vintage) ATX case.  I think it'll fit after I (gently) remove the power supply.

rje

Post by rje »

On 10/12/2022 at 10:02 AM, Tatwi said:

...I just cannot foresee a time where I would be able to afford such a thing as the X16 ...

Wait for the compact version that's the size and price of a Raspberry Pi, and then see if you've got the resources and room and desire for one of those.