Commander X16 Proto #2

Announcements by the development team or forum staff.
Jim Drew

Commander X16 Proto #2

Post by Jim Drew »

Which of these sockets has the 6502 in it?  I would like to make sure my accelerator will plug into it before going to production.

rje

Commander X16 Proto #2

Post by rje »

On 6/12/2020 at 11:22 AM, Juju said:

Y'all know PCB stands for Potentially Could Be Blue. Or is it?

PCBWAAAAAAYYYYYY

Sorry, had to do it. In any case, it looks pretty cool ?

Pretty Cool Board!  (Has Peri already done that one?)

Scott Todd

Commander X16 Proto #2

Post by Scott Todd »

This may be the wrong place but Perifractic and the rest of the team will see it. I just watched David's Mini Pet video. Awesome as usual. He expressed concerns about people assembling a kit and it not working. I'm all in favor of selling the kits expressly WITHOUT a warranty. The person buying one should be capable of basic troubleshooting, just like David did. Maybe offer a warranty on the board BEFORE it gets soldered. Clearly if someone gets one with a scratch across a trace or merged traces, it could get replaced. That would just require an instruction to thoroughly inspect your board before starting assembly. Once assembly starts, its all theirs!

I get wanting it to be a complete computer but I also get that just drives the price, and development time. Like many. I'll buy one no matter what. But there is a certain satisfaction assembling the whole thing and then using it. Heathkit stuff was great! Another consideration, which I'm sure you did, would be to release the boards and a parts list so some 'Beta'  work could be done. Just like that Mini Pet kit. Having a few dozen users build and bench test them breadboard style could yield some interesting stuff. Either way, I can't wait to see one sitting on my desk ? I

Scott

troj

Commander X16 Proto #2

Post by troj »

I agree, that troubleshooting kits could become a huge time consumer for the team behind this project, and that kits could be sold as "No warranty/support provided for kits."  At the same time, I suspect some very knowledgeable folks in this community could help one another in troubleshooting/diagnosing kit assembly issues, without impacting the core team.

Regardless of which way the team decides to go, I definitely plan to make a purchase!

-Kevin

Perifractic

Commander X16 Proto #2

Post by Perifractic »

Yeah don't worry too much about this. We haven't smoothed out final details yet. But if you look at the support forum here, it is set up in such way that it is community driven, whilst also accessible to the team.

BruceMcF

Commander X16 Proto #2

Post by BruceMcF »

On 8/27/2020 at 2:30 AM, Scott Todd said:

This may be the wrong place but Perifractic and the rest of the team will see it. I just watched David's Mini Pet video. Awesome as usual. He expressed concerns about people assembling a kit and it not working. I'm all in favor of selling the kits expressly WITHOUT a warranty.

I am in favor of kits being sold with an x16e "to verify correct functioning", and the kit being sold without warranty of soldered parts. Obviously the x16e raises the kit price, but that is also useful in indirectly filtering out people pursuing it without the skills to accomplish it. And even those who trash their build have a working system.

maktos

Commander X16 Proto #2

Post by maktos »

I am certainly looking forward to buying the kit/DIP and discrete components/hacker version of this board.

troj

Commander X16 Proto #2

Post by troj »

dr.diesel

Commander X16 Proto #2

Post by dr.diesel »

He didn't offer any explanation on the root cause?  Perhaps Adrian will post a video soon.

Scott Todd

Commander X16 Proto #2

Post by Scott Todd »

This is SO super awesome! I love Adrian's work. I'm glad he was able to contribute. I can't wait to spend my money ?