Xixit

The 8-Bit Guy

Re: Xixit

Post by The 8-Bit Guy »

jorgedo wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 7:06 pm Hi everyone! Great work, congratulations David, totally awesome, I've been playing it often the last three days on the X16 emulator. I noticed that sometimes a tile that is not connected with the others (and shouldn't disapear) will explode. Is that a bug? Somebody else had this experience?
I've seen this 2 or 3 times during my bazillion hours of gameplay. But it always happened when I was testing on real hardware and didn't have a way to record what happened. So I've never been able to duplicate the issue or actually see exactly what happened. These screenshots should be helpful in determining where the problem is.
LegoZ81

Post by LegoZ81 »

I just stumbled on a small oddity when trying to select gamepad with the gamepad it will not change from keyboard. When trying on the control field to swap inputs nothing will change but then if I change difficulty it will flip to gamepad. I can change it back to keyboard though with a the A button on the bluetooth SNES controller when it is on gamepad. I can also toggle the control via the keyboard without issue.

I also had a random hard crash I was at some level above 50 and it crashed out of the game completely, I will try to upload both the screenshot of the crash and a video grab of the above issue.
Screenshot 2023-01-31 at 9.50.54 PM.png
Screenshot 2023-01-31 at 9.50.54 PM.png (56.27 KiB) Viewed 6947 times
I have a small m4v but can't attach it here let me get it up on YouTube and I'll link it here
here is a link to the screen capture:
https://youtu.be/NO1DN26aCjY

BTW great job on the port, I never played or knew about this when it was originally out but it seems very solid. I don't have a much experience with the C64, I did have one with a tape drive for a short time. My teeth were mainly cut on Apple II and then DOS machines (Epson 8088). My 9 yo son like the game so and has had fun on my TRS-80 4p but it is in need of a lot of work, so I've been keeping it off to not stress its very old caps too much.
Last edited by LegoZ81 on Wed Feb 01, 2023 4:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
The 8-Bit Guy

Post by The 8-Bit Guy »

The keyboard/gamepad select is most likely an emulator issue. The game tries to detect when using the gamepad and automatically select it, thus avoiding the issue where people walk up to the machine being demonstrated and the gamepad appears to not do anything. It works fine on the real hardware.
crash

Post by crash »

i have problems running the game in the X16 emulator it only goes this far and hangs there:

Edmond D

Post by Edmond D »

From the screen shot the load command looks odd with ":*" I believe it should be Load "*",8,1 or more specifically Load "XIXIT.PRG",8,1
crash

Post by crash »

thanks i ran ./x16emu and load "XIXIT.PRG" manually and then run and now it starts :)
Ender

Post by Ender »

crash wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 8:46 pm thanks i ran ./x16emu and load "XIXIT.PRG" manually and then run and now it starts :)
If you want to run it with -prg from the command line, you have to be in the same directory as the game because it's looking for other files in the current directory (the .BIN files). So you'd do something like "cd Xixit; ../x16emu -prg XIXIT.PRG -run"
Edmond D wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 8:40 pm From the screen shot the load command looks odd with ":*" I believe it should be Load "*",8,1 or more specifically Load "XIXIT.PRG",8,1
That's something the emulator does when you load from the command line with "-prg".
Edmond D

Post by Edmond D »

Ender wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 2:59 am
Edmond D wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 8:40 pm From the screen shot the load command looks odd with ":*" I believe it should be Load "*",8,1 or more specifically Load "XIXIT.PRG",8,1
That's something the emulator does when you load from the command line with "-prg".
Thanks - I have mainly run the emulator without any command line parameters, perhaps because that's how one will normally be doing it with the X16 hardware. On top of that I use a MAC, so command lines and parameters aren't forefront in using software at the GUI level.
BruceRMcF

Post by BruceRMcF »

If I recall correctly, the ":" is the CMD syntax to separate the path part of a filename from the filename part, as in:

LOAD"/UTILITIES/COPIERS/:COPY",8 

... so ":*" and "*" ought to mean the same thing ... load the first file in the current directory.
Edmond D

Post by Edmond D »

BruceRMcF wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 8:21 pm
If I recall correctly, the ":" is the CMD syntax to separate the path part of a filename from the filename part, as in:

LOAD"/UTILITIES/COPIERS/:COPY",8 

... so ":*" and "*" ought to mean the same thing ... load the first file in the current directory.
Thanks for the explanation.