cl65: No such target system: 'cx16'

All aspects of programming on the Commander X16.
TheGeekOnSkates

Question cl65: No such target system: 'cx16'

Post by TheGeekOnSkates »

Hey there, I've been having some trouble getting cc65 to work (the title of this post is the error message I'm getting). When I run "cl65 --version" I get "cl65 V2.18 - Ubuntu 2.18-1". I'm on Linux Mint x64. Anyway, I've done some research and it sounds like (according to an issue about this on cl65's GitHub) that I have the latest version... not sure what to make of this. Do I need to uninstall/build-from-source or something crazy like that? :D
grml

Re: cl65: No such target system: 'cx16'

Post by grml »

Looking at the commit history, it looks like version 2.19 was the first version that supported the target.
StephenHorn

Post by StephenHorn »

I'll admit I'm struggling to understand the subtleties of the --version info. But cl65 definitely supports the x16 in my WSL Debian install, and I didn't build it from source.

If you're having trouble getting cl65 to work with the cx16 target, you might have to go and build from source.
Developer for Box16, the other X16 emulator. (Box16 on GitHub)
I also accept pull requests for x16emu, the official X16 emulator. (x16-emulator on GitHub)
Daedalus

Post by Daedalus »

I use Linux Mint "Cinnamon" version 21.1
The versions I get for cc65 and ca65 (I Of the two, I only use ca65) are:

cc65 V2.18 - Ubuntu 2.19-1
ca65 V2.18 - Ubuntu 2.19-1

cl65 is the same.

What version of Linux Mint are you using?

Forgot to add: I just got it from the repo. I didn't compile it from source. Personally, I have no interest in compiling from source unless I'm actually going to try to modify something. I just wanna compile MY stuff, not ALL the stuff.
TheGeekOnSkates

Post by TheGeekOnSkates »

Daedalus wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 2:51 pm I use Linux Mint "Cinnamon" version 21.1
The versions I get for cc65 and ca65 (I Of the two, I only use ca65) are:

cc65 V2.18 - Ubuntu 2.19-1
ca65 V2.18 - Ubuntu 2.19-1

cl65 is the same.

What version of Linux Mint are you using?

Forgot to add: I just got it from the repo. I didn't compile it from source. Personally, I have no interest in compiling from source unless I'm actually going to try to modify something. I just wanna compile MY stuff, not ALL the stuff.
I agree. :D Anyway I'm on Linux Mint "Cinnamon" 20.2 64-bit. So when you say you got it from "the repo"... Which repo? Apt? The cc65 GitHub? I forget how I got mine (has been awhile since I've updated) but I think it was from a package manager.

**EDIT:** I had used Synaptic to download it - guess they haven't updated there yet. Anyway I just looked up "cc65 2.19" on DuckDuckGo and found the official repo [here](https://debian.pkgs.org/11/debian-main- ... 4.deb.html). Bingo! I got an x16 build! :)
Daedalus

Post by Daedalus »

Sweet!
You might want to upgrade to the latest full build, if for no other reason than to have the latest repositories for apt to pull from (What I meant by repos.)

There are, of course, perfectly valid reasons to NOT upgrade a system past a certain version (Example: some crucial software you must run requires the older one.) but in my experience, unless you're actively dealing with a long term project that has custom software you don't want to (Or can't.) update, you're just better off staying up to date.