My first Assembly Program that does something Interesting

All aspects of programming on the Commander X16.
deadhead

My first Assembly Program that does something Interesting

Post by deadhead »

This is program I wrote puts a sprite on the screen you can move with wasd, and quite by pressing q.
Try It Now!
Attachments
sprite.zip
(654 Bytes) Downloaded 246 times
Edmond D

Re: My first Assembly Program that does something Interesting

Post by Edmond D »

Congrats - basic but solid. Perhaps you might want to share your source code, give a brief description or even write a tutorial. There's a missing middle between getting "Hello X16 World" in ASM and complete games like PETSCII Robots.
void_null

Post by void_null »

How do you 'install' this? Dropping them into the folder like basic programs doesn't work for me for some mysterious reason. Also, wouldn't opening it in the 'codex' allow you to see the 'source code'?
TomXP411

Post by TomXP411 »

void_null wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 9:30 am How do you 'install' this? Dropping them into the folder like basic programs doesn't work for me for some mysterious reason. Also, wouldn't opening it in the 'codex' allow you to see the 'source code'?
There's a lot that goes into assembly programs besides just the raw opcodes. If nothing else, being able to read comments and labels is super helpful to understand what's going on.

Experienced coders can often see patterns and know what a code block is doing, but for newer folk who don't have that experience, yet, a disassembly is no substitute for a real, well written source file.
BruceRMcF

Post by BruceRMcF »

deadhead wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 7:18 am This is program I wrote puts a sprite on the screen you can move with wasd, and quit by pressing q. ...
Excellent! An advantage of starting with sprite movement is the immediate feedback you get on whether things are working.

A good fairly small next step would be to make it respond to the cursor keys, and cycle through different sizes with the space bar.
wizardmountain

Post by wizardmountain »

Thanks for sharing this! I'm trying to teach myself asm on the cx16 too so this could be a great reference. Cheers.