TilemapEd, Tilemap editor for the X16

Johan Kårlin

Re: TilemapEd, Tilemap editor for the X16

Post by Johan Kårlin »

Looks great, intuitive and easy to use. 😊
Dacobi

Post by Dacobi »

I'm done with the palette editor including the ability to use CTRL click on RGB Sliders, but in the process I found a long list of critical bugs that can both crash the program and/or corrupt the project.
Basically every Slider has a bug where when using CTRL click to enter text field mode it's possible to enter an invalid value that can cause problems.

So I won't upload a new version until I've fixed all these bugs.

In the meantime be careful when using CTRL click on Sliders.
Dacobi

Post by Dacobi »

I've just uploaded TilemapEd 1.2.6 to GitHub, which has the new palette editor and where all slider widgets auto clamp values from CTRL click text input.

I haven't done any extensive testing so there may be bugs, but the general functionality is there.
Dacobi

Post by Dacobi »

I've just uploaded a new version where the CLI options:
"--opengl, --d3d, --software, --window, --maximize, --vsync, --novsync"
are saved to an INI file and used on following launches of the program, until other options are applied.
Dacobi

Post by Dacobi »

I've just uploaded version 1.2.20 with various tweaks and fixes including a "File->Settings" menu.
Dacobi

Post by Dacobi »

I've just uploaded version 1.2.26 which fixes some small bugs, ie. in ProjectSettings.
Dacobi

Post by Dacobi »

I've started working on a Sprite editor in a separate branch.

I might be ready with a dev snapshot in a few days : )

Some screenshots of the current layout
spritemenu.jpeg
spritemenu.jpeg (199.78 KiB) Viewed 149920 times
Screenshot from 2023-05-19 12-41-18.png
Screenshot from 2023-05-19 12-41-18.png (45.67 KiB) Viewed 149920 times
Dacobi

Post by Dacobi »

I've just uploaded a dev test to GitHub with the new Sprite editor, if anyone is interested in testing/trying it.

The basic functions are there, but I still have to make the more advanced functions like Rotate/Scale by any amount, and also some of the Import functions.

I've had to change a lot of code in the program in order to have Tiles and Sprites of different BPPs in the same project, so I've probably introduced some bugs in the existing code.

I still haven't found a good solution for the Palette behavior regarding Selected Color when switching between Tiles or Sprites with different BPPs.
Johan Kårlin

Post by Johan Kårlin »

I have tried the new sprite editor. It seems to work very well. I haven't found any bugs (yet : )). The possibility to create sprites make this tool absolutely perfect. I am able to move all my graphic resources to TilemapEd, there is no need for any other tool. It feels so much easier than working with png files that must be converted and where you don't have full control over the palette.

A couple of details: It is somewhat hard to see which sprite frame is selected. There is a thin border that switch color, maybe it could be thicker? I also notice that the first sprite is named "sprite0.bin" on disk. I like that but maybe the first map should be named "map0.bin" and not "map.bin"? That would be more consequent as I see it.
Dacobi

Post by Dacobi »

Your feedback is very welcome : )
A couple of details: It is somewhat hard to see which sprite frame is selected. There is a thin border that switch color, maybe it could be thicker?
I've changed the line thickness from 1 to 2 pixels. This will also affect the selected tile in the tileset.
I could also change the highlight color to red, but I've resisted doing so because of the association between red and errors.
I also notice that the first sprite is named "sprite0.bin" on disk. I like that but maybe the first map should be named "map0.bin" and not "map.bin"? That would be more consequent as I see it.
It wouldn't be that difficult to change the first map to "map0.bin". The reason it is just "map.bin" was because the first version only supported 1 tilemap. The problem with changing it is that all existing projects must be updated/renamed manually, but I guess you're more or less my only user ( ; )) and it will only become a bigger problem the longer I wait.