TilemapEd, Tilemap editor for the X16

Dacobi

Re: TilemapEd, Tilemap editor for the X16

Post by Dacobi »

I just uploaded a dev test release to GitHub where using --highdpi <uiscale> will result in actual scaling and not just changing the Window size.
I've also changed the Font scale for the normal mode down a little.
Dacobi

Post by Dacobi »

I just uploaded v1.6.0-RC1. Besides the UI scale update there's some UI updates to the BrushLists.
Johan Kårlin

Post by Johan Kårlin »

First let me say I have all features I need to use this. It is a great tool! Still, I have some comments that might help you develop this further.

I have tried the latest version. The scaling works just fine. I can set any scale I like with the --highdpi option. I notice that the default is 100%. Would it be possible to read the Windows display scale and use that as default? I guess most users wish to use the same scale as other apps they use. This is of course a detail.

The sprite editor works fine, the only thing I notice is that the frames become quite small if they are many. See attached image. And it is hard to see which frame is selected, as we discussed some time ago.
spriteeditor.png
spriteeditor.png (155.2 KiB) Viewed 45777 times
Dacobi

Post by Dacobi »

I have tried the latest version. The scaling works just fine. I can set any scale I like with the --highdpi option. I notice that the default is 100%. Would it be possible to read the Windows display scale and use that as default? I guess most users wish to use the same scale as other apps they use. This is of course a detail.
SDL2 doesn't have any API for detecting OS UI scale, but they are working on an API for that in SDL3, so until there's a stable version of SDL3 I'm not going to work on that.
The sprite editor works fine, the only thing I notice is that the frames become quite small if they are many. See attached image. And it is hard to see which frame is selected, as we discussed some time ago.
Yes, I'm aware of the problem, but not sure what to do about it. On one hand I have to automatically scale the windows as more items are added, but this results in very small icons when there's a large number of items.
One solution might be to have a setting for a base/minimum scale of Tiles/Frames?
Last edited by Dacobi on Sun Jun 18, 2023 7:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dacobi

Post by Dacobi »

I just noticed in your screenshot that the palette offset in the palette is no longer aligned with the colors. That may be because I changed the default font size, but I'll take a look at it tomorrow.
Dacobi

Post by Dacobi »

I just uploaded v1.6.0-RC2 which has menu items "Edit->TileSet Edit->Max Grid Width" and "Edit->Sprite Edit->Max Grid Width" to set the maximum number of columns in the TileSet and in Sprite Frames.

Also I fixed the font size bug regarding Palette Offset in the Palette.
Johan Kårlin

Post by Johan Kårlin »

I will simply use the --highdpi option to scale the window, no problem. I didn't notice the problem with the palette, but I can see it is fixed. And setting the number of columns for the frame window works fine too. Good work!
Johan Kårlin

Post by Johan Kårlin »

And I just learned that the ui scale is saved to the .ini file. Brilliant : ).
Dacobi

Post by Dacobi »

I just uploaded v1.6.0. The only change from RC2 is that BrushLists will leave Edit Mode automatically, when closed.
Dacobi

Post by Dacobi »

I will simply use the --highdpi option to scale the window, no problem. I didn't notice the problem with the palette, but I can see it is fixed. And setting the number of columns for the frame window works fine too. Good work!

And I just learned that the ui scale is saved to the .ini file. Brilliant : ).

Regarding the whole UI Scale thing. I'm not sure when a stable version of SDL3 will be out, but the code needed to detect UI Scale event, especially on all OSes is quite large. As soon as the SDL3 API is stable I'll make it automatic, maybe just a setting for On/Off.