Better DOS"CD:$DIR

If you have feature requests, this is the place to post them. Please note your idea may already be something we have already discussed and decided against, or something we are working on privately, and we cannot be held responsible for any similarities in such instance. Whilst we cannot respond to every suggestion, your idea will be read and responded to where possible. Thank you for your input!
PixelMaker04

Better DOS"CD:$DIR

Post by PixelMaker04 »

Not sure is it's been brought up or already implemented in the next ROM version, but would it break the current ROM file management by adding an extra space between the file size and the file name to be able to use the DOS hotkey to type in the CD:$DIR and ignore "DIR" if present to prevent the syntax error. It can be seen when I insert a space and use the F8 hotkey then type in CD:. It still goes into the directory, but shows a syntax for the DIR on the same line (at least that's my guess).

TomXP411

Re: Better DOS"CD:$DIR

Post by TomXP411 »

While you're technically correct (the best kind of correct), this conflicts with CBM-DOS. File browser applications that read from IEC disk drives would need to be written to handle the different positions of the directory text.

Personally, I just press Insert (or shift+Backspace) before overtyping, and it works fine.

Note that there are plans to add a shell or file browser to the ROM, so this will be a moot point once the shell/browser is available.
PixelMaker04

Re: Better DOS"CD:$DIR

Post by PixelMaker04 »

That's what I was thinking but wasn't 100% sure, and I do I vaguely remember seeing a file browser being in the works.