desertfish

General - CX16 Rock Runner

Post by desertfish »

Rock Runner - A Boulder Dash® clone for the Commander X16. Version 1.1
miner16.png
miner16.png (10.17 KiB) Viewed 7770 times
rrgame.png
rrgame.png (17.35 KiB) Viewed 7770 times
Original Boulder Dash® in 1984 by First Star Software, created by Peter Liepa and Chris Gray. Copyright by BBG Entertainment GmbH. Graphics tile set is from MIT-licensed GDash and is based on Boulder Rush by Michael Kowalski / Miksoft.

Source code (Prog8) is here on Github.

Try It Now!
Attachments
rockrunner.zip
(322.05 KiB) Downloaded 109 times
Last edited by desertfish on Fri Jun 07, 2024 8:21 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Johan Kårlin

Re: Rock Runner

Post by Johan Kårlin »

Wow, impressing, looks great! Is it all made in Prog8, no parts written directly in assembly?
desertfish

Post by desertfish »

There are 3 assembly routines used; a tiny vsync wait routine, the pseudo random number generator (to get identical results to the original game; otherwise the levels end up all wrong), and the routine that copies the visible tiles into vram. The rest is all prog8. Of course it uses some of the compiler's libraries, which may or may not be implemented in hand written assembly but that's beside the point I think.

I'll publish the source code once the game is "done".
Johan Kårlin

Post by Johan Kårlin »

That’s not much. It will be interesting to take a look at the code when the game is finished.
mwiedmann

Post by mwiedmann »

Amazing job. This is great!
desertfish

Post by desertfish »

There was a rather nasty timing issue that caused diamonds sometimes not being registered when you picked them up, making it impossible to complete some levels. I think that already got fixed in the game as uploaded here, but it would be really helpful to hear from other players if you still experience it or not.
I didn't find a reliable way to reproduce it, but it occurred fairly frequently in places where there was a bunch of diamonds piled up and you zig zag around to scoop them all up. For instance in cave D(butterflies) or I(Greed).
desertfish

Post by desertfish »

I've updated the game with a new version.

Quite a few issues have been fixed and tweaked but the largest change is that you can now load any custom BDCFF level file that you want! A bunch of them have been included in the zipfile, but hundreds of cavesets can be freely obtained from https://boulderdash.nl/ in the BDCFF section. Copy the .BD file (in all uppercase letters) into the CAVES subdirectory and it should show up in the list when pressing F1.

The game should be fully playable, but there are a few features I still want to add to make it complete. The TODO list can be found in the readme on the github project page (link added in the original post as well).
hechelion

Post by hechelion »

Very good work.
I was testing it because when I was little I played it on Atari, but in level "C", when I get the 24 gems that that level requires, the exit door does not open (neither does the sound nor the flash that accompanies that moment occur ). Levels A and B worked for me without a problem.
NickMilner

Post by NickMilner »

This is fantastic stuff! Impressive and genuinely inspiring.

/edit - My board (105) is finally ready to use after much wailing and gnashing of teeth over VGA to HDMI, and this is going to be the first game I play on it!!
desertfish

Post by desertfish »

hechelion wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 12:44 am in level "C", when I get the 24 gems that that level requires, the exit door does not open (neither does the sound nor the flash that accompanies that moment occur ). Levels A and B worked for me without a problem.
How odd, I thought I successfully played past this level. I'll investigate to see what's going on
Edit: yup, bug confirmed. Happens to me as well.

Edit: fixed, new version uploaded. This was a game breaking bug. The steel border was overwriting cave elements.