Dev Board Dimensions or CAD File

Get help from the community & developers with the X16 hardware if you can't find the solution elsewhere
DaWorm

Dev Board Dimensions or CAD File

Post by DaWorm »

Is there anywhere to get the board dimensions including the positions of the mounting holes and expansion slots?

I can measure everything out, if necessary, but it would be a lot quicker if there were a STEP file for the board that I could import.
kelli217

Re: Dev Board Dimensions or CAD File

Post by kelli217 »

Are you familiar with the PC motherboard standard called MicroATX? It's that. Same outer dimensions, same mounting holes, same expansion card spacing, same built-in I/O panel size.
DaWorm

Post by DaWorm »

I knew the hole spacing was the same, wasn't sure about the expansion cards. I should be able to find a cad layout for this, or at least a PDF. Thanks.
DaWorm

Post by DaWorm »

Following up. I'm making some progress on a wedge case for the X16, and as part of that, I needed the proper board dimensions. I found a STEP file of a mATX board, and also created my own based on the mATX specification, plus measurements of my DEV board. Attached is a screenshot the two boards overlaid, with one of the X16 card connectors hidden to show the PCI connector on the sample board, and a proto board in the first slot. I believe I have the slot alignment pretty good, but I do have a question about the distance from the end of the card edge connector and the board edge. The X16 slots come much closer to the board edge. Is this because they were originally based on ISA slots, not PCI slots? What should be the dimension from the center of PIN 1 to the board edge (this is how PCI defines slot position, due to the variations of card edge connector plastics)? I'll try to find an ISA spec to see if that matches what I have measured.

Also, what is the part number of the right angle connector that will replace the leftmost slot? I'd like to model that as well, and perhaps even switch out that connector on my dev board to this part, and make a side cartridge slot for the wedge case.

As for the rest of the case, I made it about 60% of the way into the first version before I worked myself into a corner and had to start over. The second version is also about 60%, and I'm again in a corner that will probably require me to start over. Picking where you start your dimensions is critical, and both times I've started from the wrong place, especially when it comes to the angled panel where the keyboard will mount. The second design is I believe too tall in the front (4.2 cm), and would be harder to type on than I'd like, so I have to figure out how to make it lower. I'm afraid that will also make it deeper too, which I'd rather not do, but if I must... I want to be able to use expansion cards, but they will have to be cut down in length, with an angled cut along the top, similar to how Apple II cards are cut to make room for the keyboard. Where I am is certainly smaller than an Apple II, but I'm trying to see if I can get close to A500 dimensions (closer to 2cm at the leading edge). I'm also considering making the board dimension taller, so that I can use off the shelf low profile PCI I/O brackets to secure the tops of the boards, but to do that would also make the enclosure deeper. I'm using 11.3 degrees as the keyboard angle, any steeper is uncomfortable, and while I'd prefer flat, that won't ever work with expansion cards.
Probably a lot of wasted work, as no one but me will ever put an expansion board in there, and even I might not, but it is a good exercise. I'm trying to learn CAD, and this is a fun way to do it.

I'm using FreeCAD 0.19, and wherever possible, I am making sure to parametrize each dimension using the built in spreadsheet to make adjustments easier. I'm not even good enough with it the be called a beginner, but it isn't all that hard to learn, just hard to master. The goal is to be able to change any dimension in the spreadsheet (panel thickness, standoff height, expansion card height, etc.) and have the model automatically update to accommodate that change. It does right now mostly, except for the angled keyboard panel. I should be able to set all of the perpendicular panels dimensions, and the program should be able to calculate the dimensions of that panel, but I didn't set up up right to allow that (FreeCAD is funny about dimensioning one sketch from points on another sketch or solid, I think it can do it, I just haven't figured out how yet). Sigh, back to the drawing board. But I can reuse many elements, so not a total loss. I think for the third iteration, I'll set the keyboard panel size (palm rest plus keyboard dimensions) and the vertical back height, and let the system calculate the length of the base and flat top instead. This will probably work out much easier.
Attachments
mATX PCI vs X16 Board.png
mATX PCI vs X16 Board.png (8.9 KiB) Viewed 11118 times
kelli217

Post by kelli217 »

According to a photo taken by M00dawg, the spacing from the back of the card edge connector to the back of the card itself is 34.63mm.

https://discord.com/channels/5475596260 ... 0984085624

Hopefully that will help you proceed with your design.
DaWorm

Post by DaWorm »

As measured with my digital calipers, it is more like 33mm. But that's not where I need to dimension from, because card edge connectors can vary. It really needs to be from the center point of pin 1 on the board. That's how the mATX spec dimensions the connectors, and it makes sense.

My current model has back of connector to back of board at about 30mm, but I know I have an issue with this. Some further tweaking will be needed there.

In the meantime, I decided to continue on with the second try. I have reworked quite a bit to make it closer to being fully parameter driven, but there is some trig I can't figure out needed to place the keyboard panel in the right place (it's at an angle, everything else is vertical or horizontal, so I still have a few fudge numbers (taken from the measurement tool or trial and error) in the calculations. They'll be fine as long as I don't change the angle of the keyboard or thickness of the panels, but if I do that, they'll be wrong and that one panel won't line up any more. Not hard to fix, but annoying. Most everything else seems to adjust to my changing parameters well enough, though.

Attached is a wireframe of the case, board and a proposed expansion board shape. It is much wider than the board to hold the WASD keyboard and an Alps Glidepoint trackpad to the right of it. Back panel is just a hole for the I/O and only one I/O slot, I will fix that up at some point, and figure out what to do to screw down the cards. Cards are low profile PCI height, so I can use off the shelf brackets. No standoffs to hold the board, no holes to mount the panels to the joint brackets, no holes for power/reset, and most importantly, no keyboard yet, but I think it will fit. But for someone who has zero training in CAD (but has worked with engineers who do for decades and watched them do it), I don't think it is half bad for a few days effort.
Attachments
WedgeX16 Wireframe.png
WedgeX16 Wireframe.png (121.6 KiB) Viewed 11006 times
pcman902

Post by pcman902 »

Is there any support for the case such as a back plate dimensions and design for hole placement?
If people would like a miniATX steel case then to maintain a consistant build it would be beneficial to have a backplate.
Are there any labels for the back such as mouse, keyboard, keypad one and two, video output etc. as it would be useful and add a more professional look. As i have learned from experience that with two ps2 ports you are bound to put keyboard in the wrong port first potentially damaging the devices.
Are they any badges for the front panel for the computer name or must we just use a stick on a label with hand written text?

Expansion boards - do we get autocad files that can be used for templates so users can build their own designs?