Nintendo Game & Watch

Feel free to talk about any other retro stuff here including Commodore, Sinclair, Atari, Amstrad, Apple... the list goes on!
Strider

Nintendo Game & Watch

Post by Strider »

Nintendo is releasing a "new" version of their classic Game & Watch handheld for Super Mario Bros. 35th anniversary. I remember having one of these as a kid, and this new one looks amazing. Comes installed with Super Mario Bros. and Lost Levels, plus a remake of the original "Ball" game from the original series.

Well, and it's also a clock of course, and a pretty cool looking one. ?

I wonder if it will be in any way "hackable"... will it be emulated .. an NES SoC? I can't wait to find out once they release and people get a chance to tear into them.

I want one! I am a huge fan of classic handhelds and the more modern "plug and play" style systems. I love my Sega Genesis handheld from AtGames, play it all the time, as well as the Atari Flashback series.

Maybe I can talk my wife into getting me one for Christmas. ?

A classic geek & family man who enjoys all things retro! Computers, hardware, games, electronics, etc. Expert at nothing, professional hobbyist, and old-school blogger!
Perifractic

Nintendo Game & Watch

Post by Perifractic »

Yeah I can't wait to order this! On the USA site it says to check back soon, while the UK site is already accepting pre-orders. I still have an Octopus Game & Watch that I had as a kid. Good times! [emoji223]
Strider

Nintendo Game & Watch

Post by Strider »

I had a Donkey Kong Jr. one, that was sadly lost in a move many years ago (1990's). ?

I wonder if the US release will be at the same price, looks to be about $60.

Also, when you get one, I expect a video. Because PCB stands for "Playing Classic Bits". Right? ?

Edit: I just seen GameStop has a price listed at $49.99. Either way, it will be worth it.

A classic geek & family man who enjoys all things retro! Computers, hardware, games, electronics, etc. Expert at nothing, professional hobbyist, and old-school blogger!
sucotronic

Nintendo Game & Watch

Post by sucotronic »

My sister received the Safebuster one back in the 90s, and I was amazed about the quality of the device and the addictive gameplay. I'm buying it just for nostalgia, NES was my first console and Super Mario one just came with it; so many memories... [emoji851]

Enviado desde mi Pixel 3a mediante Tapatalk

Strider

Nintendo Game & Watch

Post by Strider »

Nostalgia is why I want one as well, and like I said above, I want to see if it's hackable. I am as much of a hardware geek as I am a retro gaming nut. :classic_biggrin:

I only ever owned the DK Jr. one. Though I have owned many other classic LCD games, I don't think any of them really stood up to the Game & Watch.

sucotronic

Nintendo Game & Watch

Post by sucotronic »

Nostalgia is why I want one as well, and like I said above, I want to see if it's hackable. I am as much of a hardware geek as I am a retro gaming nut. :classic_biggrin:
I only ever owned the DK Jr. one. Though I have owned many other classic LCD games, I don't think any of them really stood up to the Game & Watch.
For tinkering and experimenting I can't recommend enough an arduboy (https://arduboy.com/), easy because Arduino and with the Gameboy aspect.

Strider

Nintendo Game & Watch

Post by Strider »

23 minutes ago, sucotronic said:

For tinkering and experimenting I can't recommend enough an arduboy (https://arduboy.com/), easy because Arduino and with the Gameboy aspect.

Those are really cool for the price! Personally, I enjoy messing around with the Raspberry Pi. I currently have one setup for 80's console emulation (Original B+). I kind of want a model 4, I want to see how far I can push it and I have more experience with them than Arduino . Plus, I really like the cases from: http://retroflag.com/

BruceMcF

Nintendo Game & Watch

Post by BruceMcF »

My little knockoff NES pirate game player which I mostly used to play Super Mario Brothers 1 went off to the DRC, where I am informed it is still being played with, so I am strongly tempted to order one to pay Nintendo for the joy the pirated ripoff games are providing Congolese kids.

And to collect, of course! ... I've got big paws, and the OG 2DS fits in my hands more comfortably to PLAY the game than a Game and Watch sized device.

{"collect" is a verb that implicitly includes grandchildren playing with it ... I don't go in much for "still in box" type collecting.}

Doigt

Nintendo Game & Watch

Post by Doigt »

16 minutes ago, BruceMcF said:

{"collect" is a verb that implicitly includes grandchildren playing with it ... I don't go in much for "still in box" type collecting.}

Games are meant to be played, they shouldn't be left in the box and it's one of the biggest advantages of collecting games over any other item like coins, figurines and precious stones. Collecting games is fun because you can share the fun of your hobby by playing with other people.

Strider

Nintendo Game & Watch

Post by Strider »

Yeah, I have big paws as well, so I am not so sure how comfortable the G&W will be, but I still want to play with it! ?

That AtGames Sega Genesis is pretty comfortable, roughly the size of an SNES controller. Never had any of the knockoff handhelds to try, but have looked at many of them. I really need to get a 2DS, I have several DS games I don't play because I don't have the system anymore, and I also much prefer it over the 3DS units.

I also agree, I don't collect to not play it, the playing is all the fun! I'm not a fan of letting things sit in their box. ?