X16 VERA, SMC and ROM update program!

Software from 8-Bit Productions for the Commander X16.
svenvandevelde

General - CX16 X16 VERA, SMC and ROM update program!

Post by svenvandevelde »

Hello,

This program updates the VERA, SMC and ROMs firmware on your Commander X16.

https://github.com/FlightControl-User/x ... h/releases

The CX16 update program has been well tested. Attached on the release page, you will find the artefacts of .BIN file versions for the ROM releases the R43, R44 and R45, accompanied with the correct (and modified/draft) SMC and VERA .BIN versions. These files have "header" information that allows the update program to validate the versions better. Please ensure you use these .BIN files. I will keep them updated as new official releases follow.

I can only urge you to first read carefully the documentation, especially if you are a novice user, to ensure you've captured all the preparations and manual actions to be done during this update! Don't just run this program if you don't have the required experience level with it, to mitigate the risk of bricking your CX16! The program is end-user friendly, but just to ensure ...

This is how the execution of the program looks like:

Expect further enhancements for this program to be released in the future, allowing for other external CX16 components firmware to be updated.

It has been a real enjoyable experience for me making this program. Hope you find it useful.

Enjoy!
Sven
Last edited by svenvandevelde on Thu Oct 26, 2023 7:37 am, edited 3 times in total.
KICKC home page by Jesper Gravgaard.
My KICKC alpha with Commander X16 extensions.
svenvandevelde

Re: X16 VERA, SMC and ROM update program!

Post by svenvandevelde »

Hello,

Please find attached a VERA card rescue kit, created for those who accidentally brick their CX16 by uploading a wrong VERA.BIN file, or who have had issues with the Commander X16 flasher tool, bricking their VERA.

It works with the Arduino Nano ESP32, the model that contains headers!

The Arduino Nano ESP32 can host a web page, that you can use to connect to using your WIFI. It provides a user interface to upload your VERA.BIN file, and to start the VERA rescue process by flashing the uploaded VERA.BIN on the Arduino Nano ESP32 onto the VERA card through the jumper connected header PINs!

The documentation and the main VERA rescue GITHUB repository is further being developed,
but find the repository here in case someone needs it. The code is already functional, i rescued my VERA with it.
Check out the asynchronous repository, as it is the most end user friendly.

Sven
KICKC home page by Jesper Gravgaard.
My KICKC alpha with Commander X16 extensions.
JimmyDansbo

Re: X16 VERA, SMC and ROM update program!

Post by JimmyDansbo »

Just wanted to say thanks for this great tool.

I have just updated ROM and VERA om my Community X16 without a hitch.
Easy, safe and great exeperience.

Thanks.
Visit my Github repo
or my personal site with CX16/C64/6502 related information.
Feel free to contact me regarding any of my projects or even about meeting up somewhere near Denmark