Video Playback Tests

Talk about your programs in progress. Discuss how to implement features, etc.
Forum rules
This section is for testing Commander X16 programs and programs related to the CX16 for other platforms (compilers, data conversion tools, etc.)

Feel free to post works in progress, test builds, prototypes, and tech demos.

Finished works go in the Downloads category. Don't forget to add a hashtag (#) and the version number your program was meant to run on. (ie: #R41).
voidstar

Re: Video Playback Tests

Post by voidstar »

I've tried both 0 normal and 1 high contrast modes - I know neither of that should impact the audio. But I tried both modes and on hardware, there is an audio glitch around the time the video zooms into the interior shot of the boat (with Mickey). I get a fairly consistent "scratchy audio" anytime any other audio is playing.

This did play fine for me in the emulator. Anyone else with hardware to try, to see if it is just my system?
badmai

Post by badmai »

voidstar wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 6:59 am I've tried both 0 normal and 1 high contrast modes - I know neither of that should impact the audio. But I tried both modes and on hardware, there is an audio glitch around the time the video zooms into the interior shot of the boat (with Mickey). I get a fairly consistent "scratchy audio" anytime any other audio is playing.

This did play fine for me in the emulator. Anyone else with hardware to try, to see if it is just my system?
I didn't take the time to test SBW on sd-card with the emu like I did for the first, so 99% sure it's running out of bandwidth and not your hardware.

I used this for setting up video, Layer 0 and VGA out, should I be using Composite out?

cx16.VERA_DC_VIDEO = %00010001

edit: just saw the PM's, I'll work on some tests and respond to them later
badmai

Post by badmai »

@voidstar

I couldn't upload this test in the PM, it seems to have a 5mb limit.
I added a video output mode selection, let me know the one that should be used.
I added 4 different video sizes to be tested on hardware, 1 - 192 seems to hit the bandwidth limit without audio glitches.

Try It Now!
Attachments
SBWTEST.zip
(30.41 MiB) Downloaded 232 times
voidstar

Post by voidstar »

208. But 192 looks fine to me also (yea grainy, but still enjoyable)

This is 208 below.
Attachments
sbw_ntsc.jpg
sbw_ntsc.jpg (335.35 KiB) Viewed 5673 times
badmai

Post by badmai »

BAD APPLE METAL

I remember 8bitguy asking about this one and fixing for composite...and wanting to include with the sdcard?

I've increased the resolution (and works with hardware?), same audio quality...in composite mode

Try It Now!
Attachments
BAD.zip
(7.79 MiB) Downloaded 245 times
voidstar

Post by voidstar »

Fantastic!

And yes it is working and looks great on hardware.

So - it should be possible to make a single PRG that outputs to "the currently active output mode"? But I understand having just the emulator makes this a challenge to test and verify. A version that can be adaptable like this would be best for the SD card. [ although if it can use the same data file, we maybe can do a wrapper PRG to invoke the correct one ]
badmai

Post by badmai »

Please try the original post video, I've updated the Deadpool trailer with my encoder improvements.

I do plan to release my tools and code after I have fixed them up so others can improve my methods.

EDIT: here is the Link to try :)

Try It Now!