Petscii Robots Version 2.1

The 8-Bit Guy

Petscii Robots Version 2.1

Post by The 8-Bit Guy »

Attack of the Petscii Robots has been totally reworked for the Commander X16. The original version was written while the hardware was still in development, and we didn't really have many of the proper tools for creating art or music that we do now. Also many of the kernal calls were not finished and so very cludgy and slow work-arounds were in place for a lot of functions. This has all been fixed now. The original version also still relied on the text-graphics used in the C64 version, but now the game uses the Amiga artwork and Sega Genesis music.

New for July4th release - Version 2.1 now has MIDI music support for the X16 MIDI card, including the full "Alternate Soundtrack" from Anders Enger Jensen which features 12 unique songs. To use MIDI support, you'll need to load a different program "ROBOTSMIDI.PRG" and it will auto-detect your MIDI card and ask if you want to use external MIDI or the internal wavetable synth on the card.

There are also a number of small enhancements, such as change to graphics, an additional map, a spinning magnifying glass, better random number generator, improved level-map when pressing TAB, etc.
X16R-Screenshot1.png
X16R-Screenshot1.png (28.98 KiB) Viewed 25611 times
X16R-Screenshot2.png
X16R-Screenshot2.png (16.32 KiB) Viewed 25610 times
Attachments
X16Robots 07-29-2024.zip
(595.48 KiB) Downloaded 55 times
Last edited by The 8-Bit Guy on Mon Jul 29, 2024 5:12 am, edited 5 times in total.
orangeman96

General - CX16 Re: Petscii Robots Version 2.0

Post by orangeman96 »

*VERY* nice, thanks! Happy Holidays and best wishes for a happy, HEALTHY, 2024! -Jeff
Last edited by orangeman96 on Sat Dec 23, 2023 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
orangeman96
mjdxp

Re: Petscii Robots Version 2.0

Post by mjdxp »

Hello, this is a great version of the game! I thought I should let you know, I found a pretty nasty bug that occurs when you start the game with custom keys, then set "Move Object" to RUN/STOP. You get placed at a random place in the map, and the title screen remains behind the game window. It's pretty unlikely someone would end up encountering this by mistake, but I thought I should report it anyway.
bug.png
bug.png (28.46 KiB) Viewed 25360 times
ahenry3068

Post by ahenry3068 »

mjdxp wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 3:06 pm Hello, this is a great version of the game! I thought I should let you know, I found a pretty nasty bug that occurs when you start the game with custom keys, then set "Move Object" to RUN/STOP. You get placed at a random place in the map, and the title screen remains behind the game window. It's pretty unlikely someone would end up encountering this by mistake, but I thought I should report it anyway.
You might want to get on the DISCORD and ping The 8BG there on X16-GAMEDEV. He's a busy man and I don't think he really gets on the forum as much as you might think..
The 8-Bit Guy

Post by The 8-Bit Guy »

I've uploaded a new version. Besides a few minor bugfixes, it now has MIDI music support with a full sound-track. The MIDI card should be available shortly.
FredB74

Re: Petscii Robots Version 2.1

Post by FredB74 »

Great news to see this port updated. I played "Attack of the Petscii Robots" on nearly each platform but not on SNES.

Works flawlessly on X16-emulator with rom v47.