x16emu ported to Haiku

This is a big category, which includes emulators that run on a PC and emulate the CX16, emulators that run on CX16 and simulate other computers, and tools for connecting to other computers. Data conversion tools may also fit here or in development tools, depending on the focus.
peotr26

Hardware x16emu ported to Haiku

Post by peotr26 »

I have compiled the Commander X16 emulator for Haiku x86-64.

Here is a link to the fork of the GitHub repo: https://github.com/peotr26/x16-emulator-haiku
And the link to the release page: https://github.com/peotr26/x16-emulator ... es/tag/r46
Attachments
x16emu_haiku-x86_64-r46.zip
(1.09 MiB) Downloaded 2674 times
kelli217

Re: x16emu ported to Haiku

Post by kelli217 »

Awesome! Great work!
Daedalus

Post by Daedalus »

Huh. Ok. I had never heard of "Haiku" outside of the obvious reference to a Japanese poetry style. So of course I assumed it's a Linux distro. But no, it's based on something called "BeOS" which I have also never heard of, but was apparently started be a company called "Be" in 1995.

I'm intrigued.

Are the other things I would need to be a 65c02 developer using the X16 emulator also runable on Haiku? Like the CC65 compiler suite?

Not that I'm planning on switching from Linux Mint any time soon... the first issue would be I've been using Box16 instead on the official emulator because of it's developer tools. But I would like to see a different take on an OS for x86-64 systems.
ahenry3068

Post by ahenry3068 »

Daedalus wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 5:51 pm Huh. Ok. I had never heard of "Haiku" outside of the obvious reference to a Japanese poetry style. So of course I assumed it's a Linux distro. But no, it's based on something called "BeOS" which I have also never heard of, but was apparently started be a company called "Be" in 1995.
I'm very surprised you had never heard of Haiku. "Be" was actually started by Steve Jobs after Apple fired him. It is based on a "Unix-Like" kernal. I believe a lot of it made it into MacOS X after Jobs rejoined Apple.
DragWx

Post by DragWx »

ahenry3068 wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 7:29 pm I'm very surprised you had never heard of Haiku. "Be" was actually started by Steve Jobs after Apple fired him. It is based on a "Unix-Like" kernal. I believe a lot of it made it into MacOS X after Jobs rejoined Apple.
I think that was NeXT, but you're not far off; both BeOS and NeXT were started by former Apple employees, but it was NeXT whose features made it into Mac OS X.

That's all I know about either though; the only practical thing about BeOS that I know about is the really nice isometric perspective all of the desktop icons were drawn with. :D
Daedalus

Post by Daedalus »

Wait, "Be" was started by former Apple people? Ok, that explains why it was trying to start a new OS with the "Power PC" hardware. And why I never heard of it.

I bought a Power PC when they first came out in the early 90's. I had huge buyer's remorse over it. It was, in my opinion, simply not worth anywhere near the price they sold them for.

But I'm still interested in seeing it work on x86-64 hardware.
ahenry3068

Post by ahenry3068 »

DragWx wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 7:50 pm
ahenry3068 wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 7:29 pm I'm very surprised you had never heard of Haiku. "Be" was actually started by Steve Jobs after Apple fired him. It is based on a "Unix-Like" kernal. I believe a lot of it made it into MacOS X after Jobs rejoined Apple.
I think that was NeXT, but you're not far off; both BeOS and NeXT were started by former Apple employees, but it was NeXT whose features made it into Mac OS X.

That's all I know about either though; the only practical thing about BeOS that I know about is the really nice isometric perspective all of the desktop icons were drawn with. :D

I've been suffering a lot from the Mandela effect lately.. I need to start googling before I post my non-existent memories.... :).

Your absolutely correct. I got Be and Next mixed up....
Edmond D

Post by Edmond D »

ahenry3068 wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 9:39 pm
I've been suffering a lot from the Mandela effect lately.. I need to start googling before I post my non-existent memories.... :).

Your absolutely correct. I got Be and Next mixed up....
At some point the X16 will be a retro "retro" computer left in our happy memories. :)
catmeow72

Post by catmeow72 »

One more way I can use Haiku now! :D