VERA ESPIcial: VERA with onboard WiFi

Talk about your programs in progress. Discuss how to implement features, etc.
Forum rules
This section is for testing Commander X16 programs and programs related to the CX16 for other platforms (compilers, data conversion tools, etc.)

Feel free to post works in progress, test builds, prototypes, and tech demos.

Finished works go in the Downloads category. Don't forget to add a hashtag (#) and the version number your program was meant to run on. (ie: #R41).
Wavicle

VERA ESPIcial: VERA with onboard WiFi

Post by Wavicle »

VERA ESPIcial is hardware that I started designing just before VCF Southwest last year but firmware development has been lagging until recently when AndyMt received one. Just this past week, air dropping using WebDAV was enabled and I completed my first successful test of it today.

Before dropping files:
ESPIWebDAVBefore.png
ESPIWebDAVBefore.png (64.24 KiB) Viewed 254 times
ESPIX16Before.png
ESPIX16Before.png (1.56 MiB) Viewed 254 times
After dropping files:
ESPIWebDAVAfter.png
ESPIWebDAVAfter.png (66.62 KiB) Viewed 254 times
ESPIX16After.png
ESPIX16After.png (1.38 MiB) Viewed 254 times
The X16 does not need to be power cycled, nor does the SD card need to be removed. However it will appear to the X16 as though the SD card has been removed and re-inserted.

I'm working on a video to show what the new firmware that AndyMt has built can do with the hardware. He has gone above and beyond including useful things like a way to recover the VERA FPGA configuration by placing the VERA.BIN file into the root of the SD card and having the ESP32 firmware update it.

I plan to eventually sell VERA ESPIcial, but I need to go through at least one more prototype hardware iteration because assembly of the current design is pretty complicated.
TomXP411

Re: VERA ESPIcial: VERA with onboard WiFi

Post by TomXP411 »

This is exciting! Having a way to drop files directly on to the SD card will be super convenient.

I use the FTP server on my MiSTer and Ultimate 64 all the time, and it makes development a lot easier to have that feature.