Seeking information on future X16 production

Chat about anything CX16 related that doesn't fit elsewhere
encw

General - CX16 Seeking information on future X16 production

Post by encw »

Do we have any information about what comes next after batch 2 is complete?

Is it going to be batch 3? Or batch 1 of a console design?

Do we know when they're going to be moving from discrete batches to continuous production and general availability?
ahenry3068

Re: Seeking information on future X16 production

Post by ahenry3068 »

encw wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 10:54 pm Do we have any information about what comes next after batch 2 is complete?

Do we know when they're going to be moving from discrete batches to continuous production and general availability?
I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong. Pre-Orders are not closed though I'm sure they have sold more than the 1st 1000 boards by now. 8BG made a post that they were at something like 800 not even a month in. I believe the plan is to continue producing and shipping the dev system as long as there is demand for it. It may come out and ship in batches and I'm sure they will go into production in some sort of batchs. I feel safe to say that production will depend on demand and the number of pre-orders because that's just how business works, not because of any secrets I've been told. :). There are a couple of people working on designs for a gen2 system with a couple of different approaches but there is no final Gen2 design yet. That's for the future TBD.

The future of the platform is in many way's in the hands of the people who want the system. If you want one buy it. (I've got DEV0056 & PR007 so I want this to succeed) ..
TomXP411

Re: Seeking information on future X16 production

Post by TomXP411 »

encw wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 10:54 pm Do we have any information about what comes next after batch 2 is complete?

I kind of doubt that will ever happen. "Continuous" production implies that an assembly line is turning out X16s full time, to the exclusion of all else, and we're simply never going to see enough units sold for that to happen. Instead, CCC (Commander Computer Corporation) will likely order systems a few hundred at a time, like they did with the last batch of 1000.

As to the Gen-2 board: I think we're at least a year away from that. There are at least two major features that have not yet been finalized, including the network interface and the final outcome of the 65C02 vs 65C816 Battle Royale. There have been huge strides on both since the New Year, but neither is ready for production, yet.