LIBRIVOX: "On the Origin of Species"

For Scene Demos that display animations, graphics, and music. Also for tech demos of graphics capability of VERA or the audio capabilities of the PSG, FM, or PCM audio channels.
ahenry3068

LIBRIVOX: "On the Origin of Species"

Post by ahenry3068 »

I've often mentioned that the great amount of Storage available gives us capabilities to do stuff you wouldn't normally think of an 8-bit system being able to do. I've created a routine to play back a sequence of ZCM (PCM Audio format used by ZSMKIT) files seamlessly so there is no pause in the Audio. I also created a QB64 utility program to split up a single large RAW audio file into such a set of files. I posted a Demo yesterday in "Libraries & Examples" . I've enhanced it the "splitting" utility a bit, I broke out some of the hard coded parameters and allowed them to be controlled at program run time.

Posted here is a chapter of Charles Darwin's "On the Origin of Species" the recording is from the LibriVox project and is in the Public Domain. So here's an AudioBook for the Commander X16 !
DARWIN1.png
DARWIN1.png (35.31 KiB) Viewed 348 times
Make sure you UNMUTE the emulator in Try It Now

Try It Now!

THE AUDIO BOOK
DARWIN-AUDIO.zip
(13.75 MiB) Downloaded 73 times
kelli217

Re: LIBRIVOX: "On the Origin of Species"

Post by kelli217 »

The only thing missing is to also print the text to the screen while the audio is playing...
ahenry3068

Post by ahenry3068 »

kelli217 wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 9:16 pm The only thing missing is to also print the text to the screen while the audio is playing...
That's probably doable. But I would have to have the text available to me :(.. It would have to have a parallel text stream.
desertfish

Post by desertfish »

I browsed a little on that librivox site (nice, never heard of it before) and for example for Alice in Wonderland it linked to the online text on project Gutenberg. Pehaps they've done this for other sources as well
ahenry3068

Post by ahenry3068 »

desertfish wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 10:35 pm I browsed a little on that librivox site (nice, never heard of it before) and for example for Alice in Wonderland it linked to the online text on project Gutenberg. Pehaps they've done this for other sources as well
I'll explore that if I decide to pursue the Audio book thing further. Nice to know that. I was actually just looking for something nice and fairly interesting to Demo my Audio routines.... This Book chapter was one of the first things to catch my eye. And judging by response I made a good choice. I just posted it this Morning.