PLOT $FFF0 (x,y) with vpoke?

All aspects of programming on the Commander X16.
mortarm

Re: PLOT $FFF0 (x,y) with poke?

Post by mortarm »

kelli217 wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 7:25 pm READCURSOR: POKE $030F, 1:REM SET CARRY BIT OF PROCESSOR STATUS SYS $FFF0 ROW = PEEK($030D) COLUMN = PEEK($030E)
If the coordinates are reversed, shouldn't ROW and COLUMN be reversed?
Edmond D

Not the right place about ROM updates, but a suggestion on where it should be

Post by Edmond D »

DragWx wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 5:33 pm
It seems to be impossible to post or reply in the "Official Software" forum, sadly. Further discussion on the r47 release would need to take place in a new thread somewhere else.
Thanks for that info - missed that it isn't a place for responses. A new thread perhaps in hardware support one (viewforum.php?f=11) makes the most sense to me, since it covers what users need to know to update their physical systems.

The emulator gets released with all the correct ROMS in place as needed. There may be special cases, but I would think that are handled by users who are expected to dig in and understand the technical details, not the general user base. The worst is a DEL *.* case :D
TomXP411

Re: Re:

Post by TomXP411 »

DragWx wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 5:33 pm
Edmond D wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 4:55 pm There is a thread on this topic - see viewtopic.php?p=32594&hilit=ROM+Update#p32594
which covers the emulator and the hardware.

Consider posting any follow up questions in that thread to avoid everything blending together in this one about VPoke.
It seems to be impossible to post or reply in the "Official Software" forum, sadly. Further discussion on the r47 release would need to take place in a new thread somewhere else.
Yes, that's an announce-only forum to prevent spam and abuse. Issues with the release, updates, and other questions about the operating system and firmware can go here: X16 Software Support
kelli217

Re: PLOT $FFF0 (x,y) with poke?

Post by kelli217 »

mortarm wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 6:27 pm
kelli217 wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 7:25 pm READCURSOR: POKE $030F, 1:REM SET CARRY BIT OF PROCESSOR STATUS SYS $FFF0 ROW = PEEK($030D) COLUMN = PEEK($030E)
If the coordinates are reversed, shouldn't ROW and COLUMN be reversed?
They are. $030D is the X register; $030E is the Y register.
mortarm

Re: PLOT $FFF0 (x,y) with vpoke?

Post by mortarm »

Oops, my bad. I was thinking too literally: Rows are horizontal, columns are vertical. I should've been thinking like a spreadsheet.
Edmond D

Post by Edmond D »

Hi funkhead,

Thanks for your response to my post. As promised here is a reply to your message., I've broken it into many secretions as there was a lot of content in your post.
funkheld wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 6:45 am Hi good afternoon.

There is also vpoke/vpeek on the cc65, prog8 and other nice things in the languages to get to know the x16 in the system. you then create these in the language.
Yes, there are many languages available on the X-16 platform. Thanks to the emulator, plus a long history of BASIC V2.0 and general 6502 assembly the higher level languages have evolved/adapted before the hardware actually shipped. I wish I had time to learn and use them all, or even keep track of everything is available. It's a delight to have so many options, but a curse not to have the time. :(

Some background for you about me. With the school owned PETs in the early 1983 I started with BASIC, moved to a VIC-20 at home advancing to learn 6502 machine code, and eventually went onto a Super PET that ran several higher languages. By my estimates I've worked with over 50 different languages in my career and about as many different platforms too. I expect to see more of both in the future.

As for VPoke command in other languages I can't speak to if it functions exactly as the one in BASIC, or the underlying implementations are the same. I would expect that there might be differences between VPoke in Prog 8 and BASIC, but I can't say definitively.
funkheld wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 6:45 am You have to rethink the x16, otherwise you can also buy a c64.
I'm unsure of what you mean by "rethink", could you please explain further.

As for a C64, yes I could purchase one but for me it was a smarter choice to go with a new X16. Like any hardware it degrades of time/use and some original parts aren't made/available anymore. I know there are modern replacements for some, but sourcing and repairing does take time away form using a machine.
funkheld wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 6:45 am With the basic of the x16 you can also use Vpoke/VPeek, VERA and other exciting things.
This sys also does the basic slowly.
Yes, there are many advantages of the X16 compared to the retro machines that inspired it.

I'm not following your comment "This sys also does the basic slowly." Could you please elaborate?
funkheld wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 6:45 am At 75 years old, it's fun for me to see this depth of the x16.
I'm glad to hear you're enjoying it, just like many here on the forum. I think the X16 could be fun for any age, but I think it is really person dependant.
funkheld wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 6:45 am Unfortunately I can't get an x16 from Germany that quickly,
otherwise I would already have the x16.
I'm in Canada and it did take some time to get an X16, but I feel it was worth the wait. I have little experience with international ordering off the continent, other than wait times increase and shipping costs can be significant.
funkheld wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 6:45 am There are also few basic programmers for the x16.
Pity.
If you are talking about people who program, there are a lot left over from the Commodore days :-) The X16 will allow more people to take on the joys and pains of BASIC.

If you are talking about software, there are so many basic programs out there that could be ported to the X16, both from the Commodore side and the other old platforms that ran BASIC. One thought I had was to take all the programs from the VIC-20 basic manual and adapt them to run on the X16. I would of course get rid of some of the bugs and perhaps provide some better structure to those programs with some explanation of why I did the changes. Unfortunately that project is going to have to wait.
funkheld wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 6:45 am Have fun with your x16.
Why does x16 hardware take so long to get up and running?
How do you update the hardware on the x16?
I am having fun so far with my limited time (and effort.) For me being able to dedicate time to it right now is very hard, I've got too many projects I need to complete beforehand.

As for updating the hardware, others have pointed you (and) me in the right direction.

Finally, it is a pleasure to be able to talk to you and other users around the world about the X16.

Regards!
funkheld

Post by funkheld »

-------------------------------
I'm not following your comment "This sys also does the basic slowly." Could you please elaborate?

I use this "basload".
when I have 30-40 goto in it, you can tell that this basic from the x16
has to work hard and affects the speed.

I'm looking for other programming languages to make good use of the x16 system. The system from x16 has been developed extremely well.

I'm starting now with MadPascal, it makes a good impression and also gives me space to realize my ideas. I also like to develop programs with my own commands.

Prog8 is also good, but sometimes I can't figure out where the commands you enter go.

The x16 emulator is super good and is constantly being further developed.
For me the emulator of the x16 is the "x16".
I probably won't get to know the hardware in Germany.

greeting
Last edited by funkheld on Mon Apr 08, 2024 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mortarm

Post by mortarm »

Edmond D wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 6:54 pm I've broken it into many secretions as there was a lot of content in your post.
"Secretions"? :lol:
hstubbs3

Post by hstubbs3 »

mortarm wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 6:27 pm
Edmond D wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 6:54 pm I've broken it into many secretions as there was a lot of content in your post.
"Secretions"? :lol:
Can't help but get some on ya?
funkheld wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 7:28 pm -------------------------------

I use this "basload".

I'm looking for other programming languages to make good use of the x16 system. The system from x16 has been developed extremely well.

I'm starting now with MadPascal, it makes a good impression and also gives me space to realize my ideas. I also like to develop programs with my own commands.

Prog8 is also good, but sometimes I can't figure out where the commands you enter go.

The x16 emulator is super good and is constantly being further developed.
For me the emulator of the x16 is the "x16".
I probably won't get to know the hardware in Germany.

greeting

There's a BASIC compiler floating around somewhere, isn't there? BlitzBasic or something like that?
I can't imagine a BASIC program with a lot of computation and conditional statements going "very fast" on any platform.. It is interpreted and all that. I work in Assembly and wouldn't advise doing that unless you're masochistic.

Prog8, MadPascal, C, etc.. should all be relatively fast as they are compiled.. Likely even a relatively naive bit of code in those should be >75% as fast as hand-optimized assembly?
Edmond D

Post by Edmond D »

funkheld wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 7:28 pm -------------------------------

I use this "basload".
Thanks for the reply and explanation. Gotos have been a topic of debate for a long time, (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goto#Criticism) but are necessary in some cases. Yes, others have mentioned BASIC is interpreted, so in general it is slower than languages that get compiled. That being said, changing a line of source code, then recompiling the program, followed by transferring the resulting code to the X16, then running it does take time as well.
funkheld wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 7:28 pm I probably won't get to know the hardware in Germany.
I've heard that Switzerland is a nice neutral country where German is spoken. <grin> :D

Glad to hear you're enjoying the virtual X16 system with MadPascal.