Best EEPROM programmer for X16

This is for products with a physical and digital component. Things like an Arduino based emulator of a 1970s mainframe, a toaster that butters your bread, or even a homebrew computer.
McBean

Best EEPROM programmer for X16

Post by McBean »

I would like to update the rom and smc on my x16. But I want to use an external programmer like an ardunio or TL866II Plus.

Can someone please tell me if the TL866II Plus can program both the rom and smc? I'm not sure it can program the micro controller. Is their a different off the shelf programmer that can program both?

Can an ardunio work similar to the one in the Ben Eater youtube video? I would prefer to use an ardunio but I'm not sure I can program the EEPROM using a file located on my computer through USB to the ardunio. I believe I would need to add an memory card directly to the ardunio and thats not the ideal way I want to do this.

I've also thought of using the user port on the x16. Is this possible? Using basic? Is their anything I should do to protect my x16 electrically? For example, if I shorted vcc with ground on the user port, would that damage the x16?

Thanks for your help.
Wavicle

Re: Best EEPROM programmer for X16

Post by Wavicle »

The TL866II+ can program both, but it seems to have trouble setting fuses on the SMC sometimes. Fortunately, recent improvements to the SMC code seem to allow it to work without enabling the PLL.

That said, my tool of choice for SMC programming is an Arduino UNO.