Lost game from the '80s: Scumbotron!

Talk about your programs in progress. Discuss how to implement features, etc.
Forum rules
This section is for testing Commander X16 programs and programs related to the CX16 for other platforms (compilers, data conversion tools, etc.)

Feel free to post works in progress, test builds, prototypes, and tech demos.

Finished works go in the Downloads category. Don't forget to add a hashtag (#) and the version number your program was meant to run on. (ie: #R41).
ahenry3068

Re: Lost game from the '80s: Scumbotron!

Post by ahenry3068 »

Alternatively same approach but have all your code and graphics in 1 file but write a separate "loader" again utilize banked ram for some code
paulscottrobson

Post by paulscottrobson »

EyeballKid wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:19 pm
paulscottrobson wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:03 pm My (Neo6502) version, not quite complete. No Brains .... and obviously no collision detection which makes surviving easy but scoring a bit difficult.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzpN1NQkSEk
Oh! I missed that - it looks fantastic!
Now playable :) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wik5QBKo2SI
EyeballKid

Post by EyeballKid »

ahenry3068 wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:28 pm Offload the graphics and maybe some of the code to a separate file. Put less used routines in banked ram
TL;DR: I'm too lazy.

Separate files are cheating! :-)
I decided pretty early on that getting it into a nice single .prg file would be a nicely arbitrary restriction.

My self-decompressing .prg file is only 35KB, which does leave a few more KB of compressed data to play with (could squeeze maybe 10-15KB of new code in there, I'd say).
But the existing code already decompresses to the full 40KB, so any new code would have to go into banked ram, which would just be a bit of a pain. Even just using a single bank (an extra 8KB), it's outside the otherwise-continuous address space, so there'd be a lot of hoop-jumping to get routines properly located. Even more so if I ended up actually having to do bank switching. It'd be easy enough to do in assembly... but... well... I'm old and lazy now. Even if I like the idea of writing games in 6502 assembly, there's no way I'm actually prepared to actually _do_ it :-) I can't really bring myself to write anything that's not portable these days.
ahenry3068

Post by ahenry3068 »

EyeballKid wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:14 am
ahenry3068 wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:28 pm Offload the graphics and maybe some of the code to a separate file. Put less used routines in banked ram
TL;DR: I'm too lazy.

Separate files are cheating! :-)
I decided pretty early on that getting it into a nice single .prg file would be a nicely arbitrary restriction.

My self-decompressing .prg file is only 35KB, which does leave a few more KB of compressed data to play with (could squeeze maybe 10-15KB of new code in there, I'd say).
But the existing code already decompresses to the full 40KB, so any new code would have to go into banked ram, which would just be a bit of a pain. Even just using a single bank (an extra 8KB), it's outside the otherwise-continuous address space, so there'd be a lot of hoop-jumping to get routines properly located. Even more so if I ended up actually having to do bank switching. It'd be easy enough to do in assembly... but... well... I'm old and lazy now. Even if I like the idea of writing games in 6502 assembly, there's no way I'm actually prepared to actually _do_ it :-) I can't really bring myself to write anything that's not portable these days.
I mentioned this earlier but are you loading your code from $0400. If your loading it at $0800 or $0801 your missing out on 1 contiguous Kilobyte you could be using. $0400 was Video Ram on the c64. $0400 to $07FF are unused RAM on the X16