TilemapEd, Tilemap editor for the X16

Dacobi

Re: TilemapEd, Tilemap editor for the X16

Post by Dacobi »

And one more thought to the background color. When porting from C64 you start out with the 16 colors the C64 had. CX16 treats color 0 as transparent. So setting the background makes for a color in that case. I can work around the for now, as one color in my C64 palette was unused and I changed it to be background and modified the import, but it would be nice to be able to change the background color.
I'm not sure I understand? VERA will always have Color Zero as transparent.

Forresten, på hvilken side af vandet befinder du dig? : )
Rytikar

Post by Rytikar »

VERA handles zero as transparent, ok. When porting from the C64, zero was black. So to get the effect again, we set the VERA background to black, and voilá, everything is fine. As long as you get the other layer and sprites sorted.
In Tilemaped, everything that was black is now grey, as that is the background color you use. And it is not changeable. Makes the whole tileset look weird.
While porting I realized I’m not using C64 color 6, so I made that black in the VERA palette, used 6 instead of 0 on the now 4bpp tiles, and that solved the problem.
But that will not always be the case without more work. So beeing able to set the color that ‘shines through’ in Tilemaped would be useful.

Hilsner fra Horsens, btw :-)
ahenry3068

Post by ahenry3068 »

Rytikar wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 7:39 am VERA handles zero as transparent, ok. When porting from the C64, zero was black. So to get the effect again, we set the VERA background to black, and voilá, everything is fine. As long as you get the other layer and sprites sorted.
In Tilemaped, everything that was black is now grey, as that is the background color you use. And it is not changeable. Makes the whole tileset look weird.
While porting I realized I’m not using C64 color 6, so I made that black in the VERA palette, used 6 instead of 0 on the now 4bpp tiles, and that solved the problem.
But that will not always be the case without more work. So beeing able to set the color that ‘shines through’ in Tilemaped would be useful.

Hilsner fra Horsens, btw :-)
I always use 4 as black myself. I find I hardly ever use purple for anything.
Dacobi

Post by Dacobi »

Being able to change the background color of the different TilemapEd Windows in the settings is on the Todo list for v2.0, but again, right now I don't know when I'll be able to get back to working on it.
Rytikar

Post by Rytikar »

Hi,
maybe I've missed it, but does the editor have a sprite flip function, like mirroring horizontaly or verticaly?
I know that VERA supports flipping via bits, but often I find it easier logic wise to just have sprite frames for all four directions than flipping. In my case up and down look different, where left and right could be flipped with bits. But the logic needed to do that outweighs the space saved.

Thanks