AUTOBOOT SOUND ON STARTUP.

ahenry3068

AUTOBOOT SOUND ON STARTUP.

Post by ahenry3068 »

Just a little AUTOBOOT program to play a sound on startup. Put this in the root of your SD-Card.

30 MAR Updated already

UPDATES:
1. Fixed the yellow color code. (This was left by accident). 2. Added a couple alternate startup sounds. 3. This AUTOBOOT checks ROM version and enables "Fast Block Read" for the r47 ROM (and future proofed as long as the feature is active for ROM's > 47) 4. This AUTOBOOT will now load "AUTOBOOT.OLD" after the sound if it exists. So you can keep your current configuration if you want.

AUTOBOOT.ZCM from an MP3 supplied by Perifractic.
Attachments
AUTOBOOT.X16.zip
(330.16 KiB) Downloaded 14 times
Last edited by ahenry3068 on Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:42 pm, edited 3 times in total.
JimmyDansbo

Re: AUTOBOOT SOUND ON STARTUP.

Post by JimmyDansbo »

That's a nice idea.

It would have been nice if the sound could play in the background so the ready prompt does not have to wait for the sound to finish before showing.
Also, why is the text color changed to yellow?
Visit my Github repo
or my personal site with CX16/C64/6502 related information.
Feel free to contact me regarding any of my projects or even about meeting up somewhere near Denmark
ahenry3068

Post by ahenry3068 »

JimmyDansbo wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:29 am That's a nice idea.

It would have been nice if the sound could play in the background so the ready prompt does not have to wait for the sound to finish before showing.
Also, why is the text color changed to yellow?
Fixed the Yellow color. That was left in by accident.
Added a couple alternate startup sounds.
Will now load "AUTOBOOT.OLD" if it exists after the sound plays.

As far as playing in the background. That would have to be done with a custom ISR. And if you let it return to the prompt while the sound was still playing then you've lost control to restore the default ISR afterwards. It would take almost as much time to setup as the current sound does to play so you would only be gaining with long startup sounds.
schristis

Post by schristis »

Awesome.... I'm only a novice, trying to learn to work stuff out like that ~!* and it took someone in the know to do it so easily...
ahenry3068

Post by ahenry3068 »

schristis wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 12:09 pm Awesome.... I'm only a novice, trying to learn to work stuff out like that ~!* and it took someone in the know to do it so easily...
I've just passed my 1 year mark working on X16 stuff. When I started this I had never programmed on any 8 bit system before. Learning is most of the fun.
Java Cake Games

Post by Java Cake Games »

JimmyDansbo wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:29 am It would have been nice if the sound could play in the background so the ready prompt does not have to wait for the sound to finish before showing.
Easiest way to achieve sound playback in the background is to dump to the PCM buffer and forget about it. But then it gets crunchy due to being limited to 4096 bytes, potentially a little more if you assume the CPU is 8MHz and activate playback in the middle of dumping. My TADA.PRG being a proof-of-concept of that (though I'd rather not discuss it further in someone else's thread).