Mechanical keyboard recommendations

Get help from the community & developers with the X16 hardware if you can't find the solution elsewhere
darvidanoar

Mechanical keyboard recommendations

Post by darvidanoar »

Hi everybody

While I don't usually consider myself a keyboard snob, after spending a bit of time using the Perix keyboard, I definitely feel like I need an upgrade. I see WASD only seem to have the black case with black keys option available now, and when I queried them on the white variant, I didn't get a response.

I tried a friend's Ducky mechanical keyboard and it didn't work at all with the X16, so I'm reluctant to make a big spend until know it's going to work.

So, my question is: Does anybody have any recommendations on a reasonable mechanical keyboard that will work with the X16?
If possible, one with Cherry MX keys, in case I feel like buying the keycaps from WASD.

Regards

David
David aka BKD (Bee Keeper Dave)
GitHub: https://github.com/Darvidanoar/
oodler

Re: Mechanical keyboard recommendations

Post by oodler »

IIRC USB to PS/2 converters won't work, so you're stuck with just PS/2. And you can get decent older ones on eBay or Goodwill. If you really want to spend money I can't help. Are you wanting to keep it X16 branded?
ahenry3068

Post by ahenry3068 »

oodler wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2024 3:25 pm IIRC USB to PS/2 converters won't work, so you're stuck with just PS/2. And you can get decent older ones on eBay or Goodwill. If you really want to spend money I can't help. Are you wanting to keep it X16 branded?

USB to PS/2 convertors will work SOMETIMES they only work if the keyboard itself supports the PS/2 interface since the adaptor is just a passive device. In the early day's of USB keyboards this was quite common. Most recent keyboards have dispensed with that support though. :cry:
darvidanoar

Post by darvidanoar »

ahenry3068 wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2024 5:25 pm USB to PS/2 convertors will work SOMETIMES they only work if the keyboard itself supports the PS/2 interface since the adaptor is just a passive device. In the early day's of USB keyboards this was quite common. Most recent keyboards have dispensed with that support though. :cry:
I agree. In fact, WASD make a statement about the CX16 keyboard running a specific version of the firmware to work with the PS/2 adaptor.

One thing I have also noticed is that X16 doesn't seem to handle the numlock key. So, for keyboards that share some of the letter keys with numpad keys, you're in trouble if that keyboard always wants to start in numlock mode. There is a nice looking G84-4100 Cherry keyboard with the same layout as the Perixx and comes with a PS/2 adaptor, but it has the shared numlock keys, so I'm reluctant to buy it in case it defaults to numlock ON.
voidstar

Post by voidstar »

I have both the black and white WASD X16 keyboards (not sure why they wouldn't have the white one's available anymore?). Both have their pro's and con's: the white one seems a bit heavier (despite being shorter since it doesn't have the numeric keypad), and there are lots of subtle key differences between the two.

If you upgrade the X16 SMC to newest and the System ROM, the MENU now has options to increase the repeat rate of the keyboard (30Hz and decrease the repeat delay, making it much easier to drive the cursor around the screen and X16 EDIT - and can actually type faster than 300 baud across the serial connection). The Perixx keyboards don't seem to support this speedup feature.

Overall, the WASD Mechanical I can type much faster and more accurately - it really is more pleasant than the Perixx. But it is annoying that the WASD has to go through a USB dongle adapter (which means in tight desk spaces, you can't push the case back as far).

EDIT: also - my IBM Model F (1981-1983) keyboard didn't work with the X16 (it's a very ancient and picky keyboard), but the IBM Model M's did work for me with a DIN to PS/2 adapter. i.e. look for IBM keyboards with the F-keys along the top (avoid the one with the F-keys at the left side).
darvidanoar

Post by darvidanoar »

voidstar wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2024 3:35 am I have both the black and white WASD X16 keyboards (not sure why they wouldn't have the white one's available anymore?). Both have their pro's and con's: the white one seems a bit heavier (despite being shorter since it doesn't have the numeric keypad), and there are lots of subtle key differences between the two.

If you upgrade the X16 SMC to newest and the System ROM, the MENU now has options to increase the repeat rate of the keyboard (30Hz and decrease the repeat delay, making it much easier to drive the cursor around the screen and X16 EDIT - and can actually type faster than 300 baud across the serial connection). The Perixx keyboards don't seem to support this speedup feature.

Overall, the WASD Mechanical I can type much faster and more accurately - it really is more pleasant than the Perixx. But it is annoying that the WASD has to go through a USB dongle adapter (which means in tight desk spaces, you can't push the case back as far).

EDIT: also - my IBM Model F (1981-1983) keyboard didn't work with the X16 (it's a very ancient and picky keyboard), but the IBM Model M's did work for me with a DIN to PS/2 adapter. i.e. look for IBM keyboards with the F-keys along the top (avoid the one with the F-keys at the left side).
Thanks voidstar

I'm running the 47.2.3 SMC, so should be good on that front.

If I have to go with the black WASD keyboard, then that might have to do. I was really hoping to get a white one to match my official x16 Lazer3d case :-)

I'll raise the issue of the NumLock function not working on Discord to see if it's an SMC issue or just my cheapo test keyboard.

Regards

David
Stefan

Post by Stefan »

voidstar wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2024 3:35 am
I think the model F is an XT keyboard, a keyboard protocol not compatible with PS/2. It seems that some of those keyboards had a switch or dip switches that let you set them into AT mode, which would be compatible with PS/2.