Debugging prototype board

Announcements by the development team or forum staff.
Lorin Millsap

Post by Lorin Millsap »

I figured it’s been a while since the last update. So I’m just letting you know where things are at. Kevin has sent me one of the prototype boards in the hopes that we can figure out why certain parts are not working.

Timing on the ROM and RAM is stable, the two VIA chips are also stable. There is some odd behavior on the banking latches, and the audio and video are not working.

We are certain it’s a timing issue and we will let you all know when that issue is resolved.

By sending me a proto board the hope is that we have a second set of eyes since trying to debug it over email and phone calls isn’t very productive.

picosecond

Post by picosecond »

Have you considered enlisting help from the community?  An independent design review couldn't hurt.  All of the secret sauce is inside Vera so sharing the prototype board schematics seems pretty harmless.  I know at least one person here makes a decent living on timing issues...

Lorin Millsap

Post by Lorin Millsap »

Well actually the schematics for the time being are classified. I of course have a copy, but Kevin has asked me not to share them and I will abide that. I am still assembling the board and then I will apply fixes to known bugs. Then I can start checking things with the scope and also use some other tools to see what I can learn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
StephenHorn

Post by StephenHorn »

Thanks for the update, Lorin. It must be absolutely maddening for everyone on the team to be so close to launching the fundraiser for production, but for the bugs. Good luck!

Developer for Box16, the other X16 emulator. (Box16 on GitHub)
I also accept pull requests for x16emu, the official X16 emulator. (x16-emulator on GitHub)
Lorin Millsap

Post by Lorin Millsap »

Indeed. In theory it should just work. But for some reason it isn’t.

kelli217

Post by kelli217 »

Weird question: Is the board itself more than two layers, and if so, is it possible that an inner layer has a discontinuity or a misrouted trace?

I'm just trying to think of something very basic that would nonetheless be difficult to track down.

Lorin Millsap

Post by Lorin Millsap »

No possibility of that. Yes it is a multi layer board.

Cyber

Post by Cyber »

9 hours ago, Lorin Millsap said:

Yes it is a multi layer board.

I think I remember somebody from team saying it will be two layer board so to make it more simple, cheaper and more understandable. Did this plan fail? Or am I remembering something wrong?

Lorin Millsap

Post by Lorin Millsap »

Sorry I guess I misunderstood the question then. It is a two layer board.

SerErris

Post by SerErris »

Multilayer >= 1 ?