WASD Keyboard

Chat about anything CX16 related that doesn't fit elsewhere
markboston36

WASD Keyboard

Post by markboston36 »

On 7/11/2020 at 2:30 PM, Dani said:

To answer your question about different key switch types, I would highly recommend taking your next move carefully lol.  Once you feel mechanical switches under your fingers, you can't ever really go back and enjoy membrane keyboards ?.  For somebody that types all day, I would actually recommend a switch that allows you to feel the tactile point of actuation such as Blues.  It's much more satisfying in my opinion and they generally are regarded as the best to type with.  Red switches don't have a tactile feel for the actuation point and so they just slide until they bottom out.  A more silent version of the Blue switch would be Brown switches and are sort of a happy medium between the two as they aren't super clicky clacky, but still have that tactile feel when depressing the key.  However, regardless of the switch type, if you are plunging the keys hard enough to bottom out with every stroke, no mechanical keyboard will be truly silent.  When at home I use Blue switches as the sound makes my heart happy and the feel is the best out of any switch type I own.  I personally use Brown switches when in an office environment and I have never gotten any complaints from co-workers.  I know that this is a lot of words to not really answer your question, but I hope to give you some things to think about that videos sometimes don't convey about different keyboard types since mechanical keyboards aren't inexpensive. Hope this helps!

you don't need clicky keyboards to get a good feel. the "tactile bump" switches will give you that without the clickiness. browns are good for this and i believe some blacks also have a good bump to them.  you can really customize your keyboards with wasd which is why i like them and why they are hideously expensive. 

markboston36

WASD Keyboard

Post by markboston36 »

On 7/11/2020 at 2:34 PM, Yuki said:

I recently bought a Cherry MX Red keyboard, I don't really know much about keyboards but I can say that the big difference between Blue and Red from having tried both is that the mechanism on the Blue makes a click when pressed down while the Red don't, but they're stiffer. Brown is kind of a compromise between both. So the noise on Reds comes more from the keycap clacking against the body than anything, which is kinda loud, but if you try to type softer it gets better. Maybe if there's cushions inside the caps, but eh, I don't really know how it works. And I don't really know how Silent Red makes it silent, so yeah.

the browns have parts that take away the click. i read a really good article explaining the different switches and what they do. im unable to find it now but the reply i made to OP has a link to another good one. 

the one i found before told you everything you wanted to know plus more about keyboards switches. ill do some googling and if i find it ill post it here. 

Perifractic

WASD Keyboard

Post by Perifractic »

should of read this before replying to the OP. thats actually a really clever way to design it. i wonder if i could buy this with blank keycaps and use it with a c64 mini? i guess i could make stickers and cover them. 
You can order custom or blank keyboards directly from WASD.
jtk

WASD Keyboard

Post by jtk »

On 9/11/2020 at 1:25 PM, rje said:

I got the X16 one with MX Clear switches.

I didn't even include Clear in my original research, I think I like these the most. Did you get any dampeners and, if so, which ones? When I finally had the money for this, WASD wasn't taking orders for just about anything. Looks like this keyboard is available again and I'm ready to take the plunge.

rje

WASD Keyboard

Post by rje »

Alas, I got no dampeners.  

Or, perhaps, "we don't need no steenking dampeners!"

SlithyMatt

WASD Keyboard

Post by SlithyMatt »

May your clicks be loud and proud. You paid handsomely for them!

Fnord42

WASD Keyboard

Post by Fnord42 »

55 minutes ago, rje said:

Alas, I got no dampeners.  

Or, perhaps, "we don't need no steenking dampeners!"

I ordered the key tester from WASD and decided against the dampeners. They take the satisfying crisp feeling of bottoming out the key away and replace it with a mushy, rubbery end. Also, the dampeners are quite expensive. (Not saying they're overpriced - I expect most of the cost is in the work for installing them - just that it's probably not worth the money unless you really care a lot about making the keyboard as silent as possible.)

EMwhite

WASD Keyboard

Post by EMwhite »

Present to myself arrived this morning.  Worth the wait.

Still trying to figure out the proper dip switch modes for the F-keys for use with my Mac desktop but all of the regular keys work just fine as do the Citrix shortcuts (for work).

IMG_2312.thumb.jpg.880078964f55baedf729fb66c4d79e10.jpg

Perifractic

WASD Keyboard

Post by Perifractic »

Present to myself arrived this morning.  Worth the wait.
Still trying to figure out the proper dip switch modes for the F-keys for use with my Mac desktop but all of the regular keys work just fine as do the Citrix shortcuts (for work).
IMG_2312.thumb.jpg.880078964f55baedf729fb66c4d79e10.jpg
Love it!

How did you get the different C= keys?
TomXP411

WASD Keyboard

Post by TomXP411 »

11 hours ago, Perifractic said:

Love it!

How did you get the different C= keys?

https://www.wasdkeyboards.com/commodore-cherry-mx-keycap.html