RETROTrek - Early Development Thread

All aspects of programming on the Commander X16.
Cyber

Post by Cyber »

15 hours ago, Starsickle said:

There is some hope: I ordered a replacement PCB. An affordable waste if it doesn't work, but I believe I can do it myself.

It's a worth a try. I tried such fix. Worked well with old models. But not always works with new ones.

So if it does not work, it is still reasonable to try recovery service.

By the way, is it mecanical HDD or SSD?

Starsickle

Post by Starsickle »

On 11/25/2020 at 12:07 AM, Cyber said:

It's a worth a try. I tried such fix. Worked well with old models. But not always works with new ones.

So if it does not work, it is still reasonable to try recovery service.

By the way, is it mecanical HDD or SSD?

It's a HDD. I followed the vendor's guide to choosing, although their shop was quite a sprawl.

As for github, I had considered making a private github for retrotrek but the project wasn't mature enough to warrant it anyways. I have the project tracker up, but no repo.

Starsickle

Post by Starsickle »

Okay, so it's been some months - Disaster has not been mitigated, so where am I?

Projects wise, I'm recovering. I'm going to be recovering. It's very sad. I've lost quite a lot.

For THIS game, though - I am slowly re-piecing together the design of the game, but I'm definitely on hold until my foundation is a bit more solid. I want to make this game, I want to support this machine, but I would definitely need help making something within the constraints of the system. Since I'm up at 4AM today, I decided to empty my brain of RetroTrek design into a separate game, which will be powered by Javascript.

So, what is it I need to do this game on the X16?

• Ability to jump between large bits of functional programming that WILL be documented.

• Ability to store tables of mixed pieces of information, or several tables of compressed, bitwise information. (I've done this, but I'm shaky at it.

• Sufficient Parity between the Emulator and target machine.

• Ability to manipulate file system from emulator. (This eluded me, but just assume my games are coming on SD card for the X16.)

I can see there's progress in some spaces of development, but I haven't had time to read in detail. For the time being, I welcome examples of larger program structures and techniques, as I'm a high level guy with some big ideas on a small system.

Starsickle

Post by Starsickle »

Wow. It's been over a year since my last update:

So, since my last post, I've lost everything in a fire and have been homeless for almost a year. It sucks. A lot.

I've been trying to do quite a lot - everything, in fact, but yeah...

So: Retrotrek.

I've recently started poking at getting back to where I was, but discovered the project was entering production. With funding being achieved in less than a few days, I'm very positive that my time can be spent on RetroTrek here on the X16 without any further need for C64 compatibility. I'm going to take my time, as there's a lot of tools I'd like and means for creating a full game with the chipset finalized, but I would love to try my hand at completing this game.

I'm juggling a few projects and quite literally everything in life, but making a game like this is something I want to achieve for myself, so help and advice is always appreciated. I'm an ambitious guy, gameplay-wise, so I can only say I definitely want something more than what we played when we were kids.

Cyber

Post by Cyber »

Man, you've been through a lot... I wish you the best.