Your dream sound chip/card combination

Feel free to talk about any other retro stuff here including Commodore, Sinclair, Atari, Amstrad, Apple... the list goes on!
rje

Post by rje »

On 3/21/2021 at 11:21 PM, TomXP411 said:

I my favorite sound card back in the DOS/Windows days. The Sound Blaster AWE32 had a wavetable synthesizer, in addition to the standard FM synthesizer. What would have made it better would have been an MT32 on board, as well... but alas, it did not.

I eventually did end up owning an MT-32 for a short time, but had to let it go for monetary reasons. Now I wish I'd kept it, although with the new emulated MT32 on the Raspberry Pi, I might be able to make a new one. 

Funny coincidence...

I was cleaning up some very old hardware for scrap (our city has an official spring cleaning day), and found.... my AWE64 (CT4380, the old "standard" model) card in an old computer case.  Maybe $45 on eBay on a good day.

Maybe I oughta keep the card, trash the rest.

TomXP411

Post by TomXP411 »

1 hour ago, rje said:

Funny coincidence...

I was cleaning up some very old hardware for scrap (our city has an official spring cleaning day), and found.... my AWE64 (CT4380, the old "standard" model) card in an old computer case.  Maybe $45 on eBay on a good day.

Maybe I oughta keep the card, trash the rest.

I recently just found old Pentium II PC at a yard sale, so I may be looking for an ISA sound card real soon. I haven't taken the time to really start working on this thing, though.

ZeroByte

Post by ZeroByte »

8 hours ago, John Chow Seymour said:

In fact, I've been trying (well, not very hard, since I'm busy) to rig up a system where I can create music on an actual R2a03 from an old NES.  It's tricky since the R2a03 is also the NES's 6502 processor.  Unlike most setups where you can just send signals to the sound chip, the R2a03 only ever expects signals from itself; or rather the sound part of it only expects to get signals from the processor part of the same chip.  It's too bad because that NES sound is the one I crave.

Check out MatsukeN's channel on YouTube - he built MIDI cartridges to go into a real NES and one for the SNES. He and several others put on live performances playing the real tunes manually on MIDI keyboards. Their performance of Final Fantasy IV was pretty amazing - it sounded exactly like the original, but since it's being played by humans, there're micro-mistakes that you can hear it's really them playing it and not just faking while the system plays the music. ?

Basically, there're 9 people in the SNES team - one player for each voice, and one person responsible for switching the patches on the various voices at the correct times. (each keyboard is monophonic, it would seem)

xanthrou

Post by xanthrou »

16 hours ago, Perifractic said:

They’ll be in touch hen-yway.

Perifractic, X16 Visual Designer

http://youtube.com/perifractic

Woo-hoo someone got Perifractic on my thread. ?