About the keyboard

Chat about anything CX16 related that doesn't fit elsewhere
troj

About the keyboard

Post by troj »

I decided to pull the trigger and buy myself one of the WASD keyboards a few months back. WASD has a great reputation in the world of mechanical keyboards, and the reason for that shows in the quality of the build on that keyboard. It's built like a tank.

That said, like most mechanical keyboards, it's not cheap.

If you like mechanical keyboards and if it's in your price range, then the WASD keyboard is a great investment. That said, it's far from a necessity, and I'm confident the standard butterfly switch keyboard is going to be a solid product, based on what I've seen from this team so far.

Cyber

About the keyboard

Post by Cyber »

Thank you fot clearing thing up. I did not know you have so many grandchildren to make gifts to. )
Another thing I did not know was butterfly switches. I thought standart keyboard would come with membrane.
BruceMcF

About the keyboard

Post by BruceMcF »

On 7/8/2020 at 8:25 PM, Cyber said:

Thank you fot clearing thing up. I did not know you have so many grandchildren to make gifts to. )

Another thing I did not know was butterfly switches. I thought standart keyboard would come with membrane.

I've experienced the gamut, from the straight membrane keyboard of the Timex Sinclair 1000 to the "el cheapo springy but real" keyboard of the C64, to the chiclet keyboard of the Atari Portfolio, to nice real keyboards in some of my desktop PCs in Australia back in the day, and am typing write now on a butterfly switch keyboard on the laptop that is my replacement "office at home" system with my office desktop off limits until the Covid19 restrictions in Beijing relax again.

My reaction to butterfly switches are, "meh", they aren't great, but they aren't horrible either. At 200 RMB, I'd definitely get the mechanical switch keyboard, but at $200, it's just out of my price range.