Your "Retro Gaming" Hardware or Emulators?

Feel free to talk about any other retro stuff here including Commodore, Sinclair, Atari, Amstrad, Apple... the list goes on!
Strider

Post by Strider »

Well, I finally rounded out my 8/16-bit era controller collection by ordering the Genesis and TG-16 ones I wanted. I will let you know how they work after they arrive. It was my birthday the other day and decided to pick them up. ?

I'm not expecting any problems, they are from Retro-Bit and Hori, and every controller I have gotten from either of those two has been spot on.

Genesis: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07P37ZGTF/

(Has L+R shoulder buttons, so it will work just as well as the SN30-Pro in most games. Though the SN30-Pro have 2x L+R buttons, so handy for PS1. No analog, but that's fine, I rarely use it outside of PS1 games.)

717XapdUhVL._AC_SL1500_.jpg.2c6226dd2e361b0768f8977ab3302185.jpg

TG-16: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07V1Q2G8T/

(Has PROPER turbo selectors like the original TG-16/PCE, and it's the right size, unlike many others out there.)

71iKnKCdWlL._SL1500_.jpg.56ddb4e670426e1c8d7f80ce211a052a.jpg

A classic geek & family man who enjoys all things retro! Computers, hardware, games, electronics, etc. Expert at nothing, professional hobbyist, and old-school blogger!
Strider

Post by Strider »

They have arrived!

Love these things. They both feel great. Buttons are responsive. Properly detected by RetroPie. Played with both for several hours and both are good quality.

I really like have a proper PCE/TG controller I can use for emulation! It's not as heavy as the original TG controller, but it does not feel cheap. Feels good playing all the scrolling shooter bullet-hell games. Hori makes good controllers in my opinion.

Now... I am DONE with controllers....I hope. lol

pce-cont-2.thumb.jpg.1d7527dab8017d239fd79a23f7aa29b7.jpg

sega-pce.jpg.2051e97a64e447032ba399f07902faeb.jpg

A classic geek & family man who enjoys all things retro! Computers, hardware, games, electronics, etc. Expert at nothing, professional hobbyist, and old-school blogger!
SlithyMatt

Post by SlithyMatt »

I did a couple livestreams playing around more with the "620 in 1" NES Classic clone, and edited them into a single video: 

If you want to see the original, unedited streams, they are on my second channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNPJDAcKcAUYfemAMwqa56g

Strider

Post by Strider »

I like that Mario Bros. clone. It reminds me of what I had posted in a different thread. Nintendo themselves did this with our version of Super Mario Bros. 2. The Japanese Mario sequel was deemed too difficult for the international market, so they took a game called Doki Doki Panic, and modified it to be the version of Super Mario Bros. 2 we know today. It's an interesting story.

From Wikipedia:

The western release of Super Mario Bros. 2 was based on Yume Kōjō: Doki Doki Panic, a Family Computer Disk System game meant to tie-in with Fuji Television's media technology expo, called Yume Kōjō (lit. Dream Factory). The characters, enemies, and themes of the game were meant to reflect the mascots and theme of the festival.[2] After Nintendo of America found the Japanese version of Super Mario Bros. 2 (later released internationally as Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels) to be too difficult and similar to its predecessor, Yume Kōjō: Doki Doki Panic was modified to become Super Mario Bros. 2 for release outside of Japan.[3]:2

A commercial success, the international Super Mario Bros. 2 was re-released in Japan for the Famicom as Super Mario USA[a] (1992),[2] as part of the Super Mario All-Stars (1993) collection for the Super NES (including the Japanese Super Mario Bros. 2 as The Lost Levels), and as Super Mario Advance (2001) for the Game Boy Advance.

I do love how they add so many clones and ROM hacks just to get the count up. I mean, you know they are not paying licensing fees to sell the legit ROM's they are using, so why not just use all original games. I guess 620 in 1 looks better than 100 in 1. Still, there are hundreds of good NES games without the need for hacks and clones. lol

All in all it seems like there is a good mix of legit ROM's in that NES clone for the price. Funny to see games like TMNT and others in a different language, even though they were also released in English. Being an import, it's fully understandable though. ?

Also, that Street Fighter 2010 game, I loved back in my NES days! Played it a lot. Hard, but fun. I remembering being impressed by it's graphics. Good times.

Great video!

SlithyMatt

Post by SlithyMatt »

1 hour ago, Strider said:

Also, that Street Fighter 2010 game, I loved back in my NES days! Played it a lot. Hard, but fun.

That was definitely the highlight of the games I've discovered with this console. Never knew it existed, but it's a really good game! I think if it hadn't been shoehorned into the Street Fighter franchise, it might have fared better, as it's such a completely different kind of game.

Strider

Post by Strider »

9 hours ago, SlithyMatt said:

That was definitely the highlight of the games I've discovered with this console. Never knew it existed, but it's a really good game! I think if it hadn't been shoehorned into the Street Fighter franchise, it might have fared better, as it's such a completely different kind of game.

That's one thing I have doing a lot of lately, looking for games I missed back when they were new. Reading a lot of "Top 10" lists of obscure or "hidden gems" for various systems. It's quite fun to discover and play a "new" old game! Also discovered some games, a few recently on the TG-16/PCE, that were listed as Japanese but are in English. So I skipped over them when I first seen them. Or they were shooters where the language of the text is not nearly as important. And of course, translated hacked ROMs. Like I said earlier, I spend more time on my $35 Raspberry Pi than on my MUCH more expensive high-end "gaming" PC. lol

ZeroByte

Post by ZeroByte »

I assume you know all about The Guardian Legend and Battle of Olympus

Strider

Post by Strider »

3 hours ago, ZeroByte said:

I assume you know all about The Guardian Legend and Battle of Olympus

Again, two of my favorite NES games! I have played them both several times over the years. Actually, I just played through Guardian Legend a couple months ago ... again. ?

Also just got done playing Soldier Blade for the TG-16/PCE. I love the old school scrolling shooters. This one was a lot of fun, hard, but I had a blast playing it! If you like that sort of game, it's worth checking out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubCRXZaI9ek

Soldier_blade_boxart.jpg.c8c422f5cc32e558c279d5c9f1217b0a.jpg

Strider

Post by Strider »

So, I needed a USB hub for my C64 Mini, and had this one sitting on a shelf. Why not mix and match some retro! ?

c64-sega.jpg.0d4910914a4f117476687d2a13445ae0.jpg

Strider

Post by Strider »

So... everyone knows I like my Raspberry Pi. However, I have also been somewhat interested in MiSTer as well for my classic gaming needs, but my time is limited.

Then I just seen this project....

Now I want one. ?

Thoughts?