1980's Memes

Post funny retro related memes or jokes you’ve made or found here. (Items should be license free/public domain.)
Scott Robison

1980's Memes

Post by Scott Robison »

1 hour ago, jtk said:

http://www.thisoldtoy.com/fisher-price/dept-1-Audio-Vis-Mus/h-music-instruments/1-pics/fp3840.jpg

That's me on the box.

That is literally you on the box or that's what you were doing during the 80s?

Scott Robison

1980's Memes

Post by Scott Robison »

10 hours ago, Snickers11001001 said:

As someone put it in the comments,  4 and a half minutes of absolute proof the 80s were the best evah!    Man, its my childhood and teen years in terms of the pop culture we all knew and loved boiled down and distilled into a hell of a potent nostalgia fix. 

I loved all the live action clips they included. They lost me just a bit with the 80s cartoon montage. And the song is great. ?

jtk

1980's Memes

Post by jtk »

6 hours ago, Scott Robison said:

That is literally you on the box or that's what you were doing during the 80s?

Literally me on the box and what I was doing during the 80s ? This too:

s-l300.jpg
Scott Robison

1980's Memes

Post by Scott Robison »

10 hours ago, jtk said:

Literally me on the box and what I was doing during the 80s ? This too:

s-l300.jpg

So did you use the microphone as a device to record captain's log entries? Or maybe it looks more like the heartbeat monitor used in the original series? https://www.yourprops.com/Heartbeat-Monitor-replica-movie-prop-Star-Trek-The-Original-Series-TV-1966-YP74407.html

Strider

1980's Memes

Post by Strider »

7 hours ago, Scott Robison said:

So did you use the microphone as a device to record captain's log entries? Or maybe it looks more like the heartbeat monitor used in the original series? https://www.yourprops.com/Heartbeat-Monitor-replica-movie-prop-Star-Trek-The-Original-Series-TV-1966-YP74407.html

OMG that brings back memories! I had picked up a couple of Next Generation Tricorder toys from KB Toys way back in the 90's to add to my collection of other Trek junk I didn't need. This one to be exact...

1305c1aadb8af462b52e2e4dee54f345.jpg.dbb78e6a7aea751ed59556edbbaba89d.jpg

Anyway, I got this bright idea I was going to make it look more like a TV prop than a toy. So I tore it apart, replaced all the lights with LED's and put some in spots where there should have been lights to begin with. I cut out all the fake buttons and put membrane buttons in their place, connected to a simple "beeper" circuit to make noise when pressed, and kept the original functions and sound effects in place. I also included a bright white LED on the top that could be used as a flashlight, all be it a dim one.

As I was going through all my old stuff many years later, I found it and it's unaltered counterpart. I ended up taking a lot of the stuff to a big comic shop near St.Louis ta the time (can't remember the name of that place for nothing...), where I had bought and sold a lot of stuff in the past. The guy going through it all came across my "upgraded" Tricorder and fell in love with it. I joked and said "whoops", that one is mine", he immediately told me he would add an extra $50 for it. Of course, I responded "sold!"

Seriously, I used to love doing that back then, making movie/TV style props. For some strange reason, it never once occurred to me to try and sell any of it. ?

A classic geek & family man who enjoys all things retro! Computers, hardware, games, electronics, etc. Expert at nothing, professional hobbyist, and old-school blogger!
AeSix

1980's Memes

Post by AeSix »

On 4/11/2021 at 6:28 PM, Strider said:

The NES, console TV's, VCR's, the Sony Walkman, and of course, the Commodore 64.

1980s.jpg.fb6dd168d6ebb7d3e444f7fbe208617e.jpg

I am actually currently looking for a console TV like that specific one, actually.   I would love to get my hands on a working one, but lacking that, one with a good facia to house an LCD screen would be fine.  

Maybe I'm pushing this retro/nostalgia thing a bit far?  Nah!  I have plans™!

Edmond D

1980's Memes

Post by Edmond D »

On 2/1/2022 at 3:36 PM, AeSix said:

I am actually currently looking for a console TV like that specific one, actually.   I would love to get my hands on a working one, but lacking that, one with a good facia to house an LCD screen would be fine.  

Maybe I'm pushing this retro/nostalgia thing a bit far?  Nah!  I have plans™!

I consider a TV in a wood cabinet so 1970's. Not sure of your plans, but I'm sure those old TVs still exist and can be had for cheap. Estate sales, senior homes, electronic recyclers? 

AeSix

1980's Memes

Post by AeSix »

On 2/1/2022 at 6:43 PM, Edmond D said:

I consider a TV in a wood cabinet so 1970's. Not sure of your plans, but I'm sure those old TVs still exist and can be had for cheap. Estate sales, senior homes, electronic recyclers? 

I have a 2600, C64 (and SX64), NES (and Blinking Light Win NES), SNES, and growing my collection of consoles and games... 

As for them being 70s, yeah... but I grew up with one, which lasted well into SNES days (played like crap on it by then, but we still used it for family movies)

I've been looking for a while, seems they've all mostly been trashed or are in the hands of people who want to keep them.  I've found some wood box tvs, but not the "good" ones.  So, they might not had been sold new too often in the 80s, they were still a staple - at least in lower middle class households.  

Edmond D

1980's Memes

Post by Edmond D »

On 2/1/2022 at 3:58 PM, AeSix said:

've been looking for a while, seems they've all mostly been trashed or are in the hands of people who want to keep them.  I've found some wood box tvs, but not the "good" ones.  So, they might not had been sold new too often in the 80s, they were still a staple - at least in lower middle class households.

I also had to share the family TV with the Vic20, so it wasn't all fun and games all the time. ? But our TV was plastic with false wood pattern and not one of the nice all real wood units. Kinda like the station wagons that had faux wood trim. We did have the cheesy, cheap stereo system constructed with chipboard and the vinyl plastic with a wood grain finish. Not a collector's item either.

A real wood cabinet would be upper middle class in my country. 

I hope you find a unit to help you enjoy your retro collection. Perhaps putting up "wanted" posts might get a led for you. 

kelli217

1980's Memes

Post by kelli217 »

I wonder if there's a market for custom cabinets in which to mount a modern TV with those sorts of beveled panels and round columns and other such things.