Project - Looking for a dead MOS 6502

Feel free to talk about any other retro stuff here including Commodore, Sinclair, Atari, Amstrad, Apple... the list goes on!
Strider

Post by Strider »

I had mentioned this in another thread, but figured I would move it to it's own topic in the hopes of having a bit more luck finding what I am looking for.

Basically, I am looking for a non-working MOS 6502 to use in a small personal project. The reason I want a dead one is I plan on encasing it resin and I don't want to destroy a working chip.

I had originally also wanted a TMS9900, the CPU from the TI-99/4A, the computer that got me started down this path. However I decided to just go with the MOS 6502 becasue even though the TMS9900 was where I started, the MOS 6502 is what dominated my childhood and teen years.

The overall idea is I want to encase the chip in resin, with a small plaque that reads something like "The chip that powered the 1980's" or "The chip that powered my childhood.", you get the idea. Then I want to use an Arduino Nano controlled LED array behind it for some nice visual effects.

I have almost everything I need, I have the idea mapped out, but I don't have a dead chip. If it comes right down to it, I can buy a modern 6502, but I really wanted an original MOS chip.

Any ideas where I might find one would he helpful. I have done a lot of searching around, but it's proving much more difficult than I had hoped.

Yes, I will share the project when I am done with it. ?

Thank you!

A classic geek & family man who enjoys all things retro! Computers, hardware, games, electronics, etc. Expert at nothing, professional hobbyist, and old-school blogger!
EMwhite

Post by EMwhite »

I did/doing something similar.  I bought a Rockwell 6511 'wafer' (166 CPUs onboard) which included a 'new' 6511 (super-dooper version of 6502 w/64 pins, it's kind of cool, google it) and am mounting it with the orig 6502, similar to your idea.

I bought 3 x MOS 6502s on eBay for the project and would be happy to send you one when I get back from my west coast trip (mid-week).

Only one had the glorious MOS logo on it but to my disappointment, it was severely faded, the other two simply say MOS 6502 and have a date code.  Also slightly faded text, but you can read it and if it's a genuine 6502 you want, this is certainly it.  One has a date code of 1383 and the other is 0983.

If you'd like one, your choice, let me know via mail with your address.

IMG_4950.thumb.jpeg.8476389f7962c16bec3ec5d382d759c6.jpeg

Strider

Post by Strider »

On 4/24/2021 at 9:36 PM, EMwhite said:

I did/doing something similar.  I bought a Rockwell 6511 'wafer' (166 CPUs onboard) which included a 'new' 6511 (super-dooper version of 6502 w/64 pins, it's kind of cool, google it) and am mounting it with the orig 6502, similar to your idea.

I bought 3 x MOS 6502s on eBay for the project and would be happy to send you one when I get back from my west coast trip (mid-week).

Only one had the glorious MOS logo on it but to my disappointment, it was severely faded, the other two simply say MOS 6502 and have a date code.  Also slightly faded text, but you can read it and if it's a genuine 6502 you want, this is certainly it.  One has a date code of 1383 and the other is 0983.

If you'd like one, your choice, let me know via mail with your address.

Thanks for the offer! That's very kind!

That sounds like a cool project as well. Great minds think alike! lol

I don't need the MOS logo, it's nice, but not necessary. So the other two were made in 1983, perfect!

I could also add some sort of stand with a "black light" LED light to the front to make the text "glow", making it more visible. ?

I will shoot a message to you.

A classic geek & family man who enjoys all things retro! Computers, hardware, games, electronics, etc. Expert at nothing, professional hobbyist, and old-school blogger!
rje

Post by rje »

My dad has a bolo tie (that's appx 50 years old) that has an integrated circuit in resin as the "slide".  The IC itself is the centerpiece of a tiny bit of electronic circuit art in the form of a thunderbird.

Just thought I'd share.

Scott Robison

Post by Scott Robison »

I was working for a company in the early / mid 90s that was in the process of upgrading our dev box processors to better 486 chips. These chips were not keyed and my boss inserted the chip 90 degrees off and let out the magic blue smoke. I was glad he did it instead of me!

In any case, I kept the dead chip for a long time intending to make a bolo or belt buckle or some such out of it, but never did before it eventually was lost in a move.

Strider

Post by Strider »

I love these sorts of projects!

I still have some of my Intel and AMD processors from the 80's and 90's, thought about doing something with one of the 486's since I spent a LOT of time on that as well, and early Pentium. My first build was a 386, but my move to "IBM PC" really started to take hold in the late 486 era.

ZeroByte

Post by ZeroByte »

I bet Adrian (Adrian's Digital Basement) would be happy to send you one from his "dead ICs" bucket if you can contact him.

SlithyMatt

Post by SlithyMatt »

1 hour ago, ZeroByte said:

I bet Adrian (Adrian's Digital Basement) would be happy to send you one from his "dead ICs" bucket if you can contact him.

He definitely has a big pile of dead 6510s, at least!

Strider

Post by Strider »

Yeah, I really enjoyed his "Can we fix bad chips ... in the oven?" video. Well, I enjoy all his videos, but that dead chips bin. Why am I jealous over vintage DEAD chips? ? 

ZeroByte

Post by ZeroByte »

You need a SID and a VIC-II from him. I bet he'd be happy to know that a dead SID is going to bring joy to someone w/o even being functional. For bonus points, mod a "That was easy!" staples button to play 8-bit dance party instead, and make the SID "play" that when you press it.