To Mod or Not to Mod, That Is the Question?

Feel free to talk about any other retro stuff here including Commodore, Sinclair, Atari, Amstrad, Apple... the list goes on!
evlthecat

Post by evlthecat »

I recently acquired a TRS-80 Color Computer 1, sight unseen from Goodwill, and something happened that I normally don't even think about with retro systems; it is in unused condition.  I couldn't believe it!! ?

Now it does have a cracked corner because it looks like someone dropped it, but other than that, it doesn't look used at all.  Normally, I would tear into it, pull out the capacitors, modify the the output video for s-video,

add an amplifier and sound output, upgrade keyboard, etc..  However, and I don't normally care, should I modify something so obviously unused?  For God sake the warranty sticker is intact.

Anyway, if you feel like letting me know your thoughts, I have included a little a poll.

Thanks, and have a great day all!

trs80cc1.png

trs80cc1front.png

trs80cc1side.png

TomXP411

Post by TomXP411 »

I don't think these computers were special enough to be particularly valuable intact. Like the VIC-20 they competed with, there were millions of these computers out there. Even a NIB isn't going to be anything special.

I'd do exactly what you were planning to do: perform the video mod and the other upgrades, knowing that you have a very good quality starting point and that this machine will look exellent after the modifications are complete. 

evlthecat

Post by evlthecat »

18 hours ago, TomXP411 said:

I don't think these computers were special enough to be particularly valuable intact. Like the VIC-20 they competed with, there were millions of these computers out there. Even a NIB isn't going to be anything special.

I'd do exactly what you were planning to do: perform the video mod and the other upgrades, knowing that you have a very good quality starting point and that this machine will look exellent after the modifications are complete. 

Thanks for your thoughts @TomXP411.  I was doing some reading on this model last night, and from what I understand it can be loaded with an extended basic ROM and may, depending on the memory chips, be 64k.  But the only way find out is open it up.

Right now it isn't a priority.  I have 2x 64k Color Computer 2, and have one modified with all the bells and whistles.  Like I discussed it just blew me away because it looks to be untouched.  I have never seen this before buying secondhand equipment.  It was truly a shame that the corner was busted, it would be a museum piece then.  I am working on a Toshiba T1000 right now, so I am going to put this one away and keep it in its virgin state.  Maybe somewhere down the road.

I was more curious as to how other feel in reguards to older equipment, and their opinions on modifying it to make it more modern.  I mean some of us probably came here because we watch retro youtube channels.  Most of these

gents, modify, retro bright, rebuild etc.. I was just wondering if there are others who are strictly opposed to these practices.

Thanks for everyone who has participated!

SlithyMatt

Post by SlithyMatt »

1 hour ago, evlthecat said:

gents, modify, retro bright, rebuild etc.. I was just wondering if there are others who are strictly opposed to these practices.

I don't think any of them are opposed to restoring common computers, like the C64 or Apple II. They are far more valuable in working operation. Something historic and rare like the Apple I would be a special case where it's too valuable as it is to modify, and nobody has one laying around that they want to get working again. That's why you see new PCB designs for making your own Apple I with off-the-shelf parts because nobody would dare tinker with a real one.

evlthecat

Post by evlthecat »

1 hour ago, SlithyMatt said:

I don't think any of them are opposed to restoring common computers, like the C64 or Apple II. They are far more valuable in working operation. Something historic and rare like the Apple I would be a special case where it's too valuable as it is to modify, and nobody has one laying around that they want to get working again. That's why you see new PCB designs for making your own Apple I with off-the-shelf parts because nobody would dare tinker with a real one.

Great point @SlithyMatt.  Honestly, I know this isn't some earth shattering find, and I really am not trying to make it into something bigger;  It is a common machine and a later model TRS-80 Color Computer 1 for that matter.

I am just curious if opinions differ.  For instance, I am not a fan of Retro Brighting, but I would never begrudge someone doing it.

Strider

Post by Strider »

Personally, I would mod it, becasue I would want to use it. So I see no problem adding some "modern" conveniences to make that easier and/or prolong the working life of the system. Like others have said, they are not so rare that it belongs behind glass in a museum. Since there is really not much to restore, just upgrade, that would make it all the more exciting for me.

For me in general, unless it's an ultra rare unit that's simply too old and valuable to use, I am all about restoring and modding to actually use classic machines. I want to see them live and be enjoyed for as long as possible! ?

A classic geek & family man who enjoys all things retro! Computers, hardware, games, electronics, etc. Expert at nothing, professional hobbyist, and old-school blogger!
kelli217

Post by kelli217 »

Keep it whole and original, long enough to document it and its apparently unused condition (even despite the broken corner). Then do what you want to it.

evlthecat

Post by evlthecat »

I will be honest.... I broke the seal..! (DOOM! DOOM! DOOM! ??) and poked around.  I did find something very curious on opening the lid.  I guess someone on the assembly line autographed it?!  Anyone ever run across this before?

PXL_20210505_171321358.thumb.jpg.2fcd1156fe803996de6f7944574c633a.jpg

I did verify it does have extended basic installed and I found a Tandy TSB in regards to the 64K Byte memory and verified the RAM chips as 100% good;  but for now, 32K will be fine.  It seems very few programs utilized the CoCo 1 64k anyway.

I decided to use a gentler approach with this CoCo, thanks to the poll above.  Since all the necessary signals for composite are at you finger tips, I decided to build a piggy back circuit, which doesn't modify anything.

That way, I can at least get it hooked up and running to verify it works, and fix it if it does not.

Have a great weekend everyone!