Of Bits and Branding: Public Perception vs. Technical Reality

Feel free to talk about any other retro stuff here including Commodore, Sinclair, Atari, Amstrad, Apple... the list goes on!
SlithyMatt

Post by SlithyMatt »

New video on YouTube (tangential mention of the X16, but about the history of computers, gaming, and their marketing in general): 

Strider

Post by Strider »

Nice video! ?

By the time the Genesis and TG-16 came out, I had a firm grip on understanding computer hardware, and remember having to explain the differences between the Gens and TG-16 to friends. lol

What's funny is I still went with the TG-16 first, over the Genesis. One of my best friends went with the Gens, after that, I got a Sega once I seen it in action for a while.

The main reason at the time was while I owned a Master System, and liked it, I was much more impressed with the NES. I didn't have a lot of faith in Sega outside of the arcades and wanted to give NEC a try. I also liked their media format, the "HuCard". Also, later on, the fact they were the only ones (accessible to me) that released a CDROM add-on. Something I really wanted to see in the console space. That being said, I still think Sega did CD gaming better, for the time.

The TG-16 is still one of my all time favorite systems, even though it was overtaken by Sega so thoroughly. I loved my Genesis and fully embraced the 16-Bit era, but I think I looked at the TG-16 as "8-Bit on steroids", and I liked that.

A classic geek & family man who enjoys all things retro! Computers, hardware, games, electronics, etc. Expert at nothing, professional hobbyist, and old-school blogger!
ZeroByte

Post by ZeroByte »

SNES, or be purified with fire, heretic!

Strider

Post by Strider »

The SNES was like "the one ring to rule them all" ... but everyone had one ... and it was great! By far having the largest library of my favorite games!

In all seriousness though, I really can't pick a favorite. It changes from day to day. I really like all of them for different reasons. Probably why I use SNES inspired controllers on my RetroPie build housed in a Genesis inspired case. ?

Edit: Speaking of the SNES...

I was playing through an old favorite on my RetroPie, TMNT Turtles in Time (love all the TMNT games), and realized one of the levels was set in 2020. Their version of 2020 looked much cooler than ours. lol

tmnt1.jpg.c6065ae4578f662fa1102ad8a6fd2c8e.jpg

tmnt2.jpg.e276b7e150cbf8c0d88c5787fec92ac6.jpg

A classic geek & family man who enjoys all things retro! Computers, hardware, games, electronics, etc. Expert at nothing, professional hobbyist, and old-school blogger!