Monitor suggestions

Chat about anything CX16 related that doesn't fit elsewhere
TomXP411

Monitor suggestions

Post by TomXP411 »

Hey guys, someone brought up the question of a monitor on another list, and I thought I'd ask here...

has anyone seen a modern 4:3 display that will work well with the Commander? 

I just found this on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07PJYKZ54 

It seems like a perfect choice for general retrocomputing, and the 4:3 aspect ratio should make it perfect for use with the Commander. The only downside is that the native resolution is 1024x768, so you'll see scaling artifacts... but I don't see any way around that with an LCD, at this point.

I'm either going to use this monitor or my Dell 2003FP with the Commander... 

What display are you guys planning on using?

Jeff Pare

Monitor suggestions

Post by Jeff Pare »

If I didn't already have a 4x3 LCD I got for cheap, I'd be considering this one (or the 12" version). They seem like a great option for a fairly reasonable price.

TomXP411

Monitor suggestions

Post by TomXP411 »

Yeah, when I did the math and looked at the size of 1980s terminal CRTs, they all seemed to be like 13-14"... when you subtract 2" for the difference between CRT and LCD measurements, that works out to 11-12" for an LCD.

I ended up ordering the 15" model; it should be here next week. I'll let everyone know how it works out. 

SlithyMatt

Monitor suggestions

Post by SlithyMatt »

I've got this waiting in storage:

PXL_20210521_190702863.jpg?width=911&height=1214

BruceMcF

Monitor suggestions

Post by BruceMcF »

I think the one I have sitting in storage stateside is around 1440x1080, and if I take off my reading glasses, it'll be close enough to a retina display for my old eyes that I won't see many artifacts.

kelli217

Monitor suggestions

Post by kelli217 »

I've got an old Sony Trinitron CRT monitor around here, a Multiscan 100ES.

TomXP411

Monitor suggestions

Post by TomXP411 »

So, my monitor arrived, and I have thoughts...

• 15" is SMALL for a monitor these days. This feels a bit larger than a laptop display, since the aspect ratio is taller, but it's still the smallest monitor on my desk at this point. 

• The panel is straight out of 1999 - complete with color gamut and gamma problems. Light colored stuff just gets washed out, and while the image is clear, the color is... unsubtle. 

• It works great for a text display (which is what I got it for.) It will look great being used on my Altairduino Pro or my PiDP-11, and my Ultimate 64 looks very good on this screen - this is what it's meant to look like.

Overall, it's a decent monitor, and if you want to use it with something like an Amiga, a 90s PC, the Commodore 64, MiSTer, or the Commander X16, I think it will fit the bill. It's not a replacement for your daily driver, but it's perfect for some casual retro computing. 

Perifractic

Monitor suggestions

Post by Perifractic »

Thanks for the info Tom! If only it came in white…
TomXP411

Monitor suggestions

Post by TomXP411 »

1 hour ago, Perifractic said:

Thanks for the info Tom! If only it came in white…

Yeah, I'd love to see a white or beige version of that monitor.

I find it interesting and frustrating that the ubiquitous white and beige of the 80s and 90s is now completely gone. You basically can't buy a beige case.  (Although beige and white keyboards are still easy enough to get; I have 4 at the moment.)

Maybe someone will make some sort of molded enclosure that covers the monitor and adds a good 12" of depth to it... you know, to recall that whole "takes up the whole desk" feel of our 80s TVs. 

Then there's the IBM monitor skin that someone made for Linus...

Cyber

Monitor suggestions

Post by Cyber »

I want to share another solution.

Yes, it does not have VGA (so you need converter), it is not 4:3 (so you will have black bars), and it is not my preference, but I know that some people might like such solution.