MEGA65 DevKit out tomorrow...

Feel free to talk about any other retro stuff here including Commodore, Sinclair, Atari, Amstrad, Apple... the list goes on!
rje

Post by rje »

It's not the 8-bit computer I want, but I followed Mike's blog for some time, and thought it's a pretty good effort.  The result is quite powerful for an 8-bit machine.  It's also nice that it descends from the C65 ROMs... that makes the C65 essentially attainable, which is a laudable goal.

TomXP411

Post by TomXP411 »

Yeah, I was thinking long and hard about getting one. i've narrowly decided to NOT get a dev unit, but the truth is that I like the acrylic case better than the C65 case. i really don't like the extra space used by the floppy drive on the C65 case, and I wish they'd gone with the narrower "educator's" model. 

Either way, i look forward to seeing how fast they sold out when I check in tomorrow....

Cyber

Post by Cyber »

That's good news! But... OMG! The price is enormous!

TomXP411

Post by TomXP411 »

21 hours ago, Cyber said:

That's good news! But... OMG! The price is enormous!

Yes, it IS an early adopter's developer unit, and it's custom fabricated. The mass production model will be made differently, and the parts will be ordered in quantity to make it MUCH cheaper.

John Chow Seymour

Post by John Chow Seymour »

On 6/18/2020 at 4:08 AM, TomXP411 said:

I like the acrylic case better than the C65 case. i really don't like the extra space used by the floppy drive on the C65 case, and I wish they'd gone with the narrower "educator's" model.

I like the shape of the acrylic case better, with the disk drive tucked away in the back.  But that clear plastic look has always irritated me.

At that price, I can't afford a DevKit, as much as I would love to support the project. I can't find anywhere on their website that gives even so much a ballpark about how much the production machines will cost... I guess they're not sure yet.  I guess I'll just keep an eye on the project.