X16 Team Member Update

Announcements by the development team or forum staff.
Perifractic

X16 Team Member Update

Post by Perifractic »

We've always been open with you about the Commander X16 project's progress, and today I'm sharing my decision to take a little step back from the project.

When David kindly invited me on board, I accepted on the basis that approximately a 1 year prototype development process was envisioned for a cased computer, after which I would refocus on my own projects. However, of course I understand these things often do become much more complex, and so I have been happy to give an additional 1½ years to such a cool project.

Over those 30 months I've been honoured to be able to give my time overseeing parts of the jigsaw puzzle including the "X16" name, logos, keyboards, manuals, box & cover art (I hope one day you will see it!), social media, factory negotiations, Cloanto ROM licensing, slogans, draft crowdfunding video, 3D renders, X16P and X16C case designs, and of course the website & software library ecosystem for the project to hopefully someday flourish within. I’ve greatly enjoyed working with some very talented contributors in some of those areas - thank you so much Anders Enger Jensen, Charles Paek, Gaz Marshall, John McDermott, Lorin Millsap, Matt Grandis, Mat Recardo, Trevor Storey, and more.

However during that time my little YouTube channel has continued to grow beyond expectations, associated writing for ZZAP! 64 has increased, I've started projects of my own, and have found my available time for prolonged outside projects reduce.

Then, sadly my mother passed away very recently, which is at the time of writing this, absorbing an unanticipated amount of my time and emotional energies, and I am needing to focus more intently on family matters. I always wish to do my best for everyone, be it fellow X16 fans, my Patreons, or family, and by spreading myself too thin for too long, I can't be my best for you guys.

So, with much of my X16 work recently completed, now feels like the right time to pass the baton. 

David and I remain friends, and I have wished him the very best of luck with whatever shape the X16 takes post-Peri! He and the team have my agreement to continue to use as much or little of my contributions as he chooses including the case designs (should that be "the case" ahaha), and I remain available to hand over and tie up loose ends. [Edit: Case FAQ] I will continue to follow the X16's progress as a fan alongside you all, and I am sure the project will endure. Thanks for reading my new novel here, and for your understanding with a difficult decision. Long live the Chickenlips 16! Peace out and cheerio!

Your friend in retro, Perifractic

P.S. If you're not already, feel free to come follow me elsewhere and we'll continue to have fun together keeping nostalgia alive one video at a time. You can find me at:

TomXP411

X16 Team Member Update

Post by TomXP411 »

Peri, the project was better for having you in it. And I can honestly say my life is a little better from your creative efforts. I look forward to each new video you create, and the other projects you've created are fascinating. (I still tell people about the Brixty Four...)

Your calm demeanor, your sense of humor, and your creative efforts are like water in the desert for nerds like me.

I know all about losing family members and the other pressures life throws at you - and I know you can and will not just handle them, but thrive. I'll follow you everywhere I can, and I've already joined your YouTube channel. 

You're an amazing person and a shining light in the world. Stay Retro and stay classy.

Perifractic

X16 Team Member Update

Post by Perifractic »

26 minutes ago, TomXP411 said:

Peri, the project was better for having you in it. And I can honestly say my life is a little better from your creative efforts. I look forward to each new video you create, and the other projects you've created are fascinating. (I still tell people about the Brixty Four...)

Your calm demeanor, your sense of humor, and your creative efforts are like water in the desert for nerds like me.

I know all about losing family members and the other pressures life throws at you - and I know you can and will not just handle them, but thrive. I'll follow you everywhere I can, and I've already joined your YouTube channel. 

You're an amazing person and a shining light in the world. Stay Retro and stay classy.

Thank you for your kind and thoughtful words. It means a lot.

Getafix

X16 Team Member Update

Post by Getafix »

TomXP411 said it all so well - all I can say is he spoke for me too. All the best to you and your family. 

Snickers11001001

X16 Team Member Update

Post by Snickers11001001 »

I've got whiplash.  I surfed to this site just now and noticed a marked difference on the 'splash' / front page of  www.commanderx16.com...   and I got all excited.    Something new and awesome must be afoot!   Beta boards out?   The timing issue mentioned in the latest 8BitGuy video squashed!?    R39 emulator officially published?!

And then I saw this post, and I sort of feel deflated.   

Peri, sorry to see you step back.  Please accept my personal condolences for your recent loss.   My family is recovering from the same sort of loss earlier this year and I know it takes a lot out of everyone.   Take all the time you need and do not apologize for stepping back... or for changing your focus to whatever you need to focus on to take care of yourself and keep yourself engaged and excited.    I will say. the team's sure got some big shoes to fill.   You were a BIG part of the momentum and, to be sure, the professional presentation exhibited by this project and I join those above in wanting to be sure you know it has been appreciated.  

Now just to ruminate:   I'm not sure what all is going on behind the scenes besides the changes reflected in Perifractic's post, but I have to wonder at the relationship between the removal of the conceptual model on the splash page and the departure of the team member who had such a big role in working up the concept.   And I honestly don't now what to think about that.   I'll say no more here, but I'm probably not alone in wondering what it all means.  

x16tial

X16 Team Member Update

Post by x16tial »

As it's said, the only constant in life is change.  Condolences and best wishes in your current and future endeavors!

And just to say here, for what it's worth, to David and the rest of the X16 team: once the hardware and software are ready for release, if the casing or any other issue becomes a sticking point, please err on the side of just getting the board out to users like us here on these forums, assembled or not.  Most, if not all, of us here could handle assembling and soldering our own boards, and would most likely enjoy it.  I know others have clamored for doing that anyway.  I'm just saying, if there are any substantial problems or delays caused by getting the units fully assembled and cased, just get the boards in our hands, one way or another. ?

Justin Baldock

X16 Team Member Update

Post by Justin Baldock »

Condolences and sorry to see you step away. I know I've had to do similar with projects in the past. Make sure you look after yourself, Ms Fratic and the rest of the family. Don't make the mistake I did and keep on trying to do everything. Hopefully you'll be able to step back in future. 

Jeff Pare

X16 Team Member Update

Post by Jeff Pare »

Thank you for all the time and effort you've already given to the project; you also have my condolences - it's fine to take time for your own well-being after such a loss. I'm sorry if this sounds like platitudes but I do hope for happiness in your future.

EMwhite

X16 Team Member Update

Post by EMwhite »

One of the big diffs between this ‘project’ and efforts like Foenix is the lack of cohesion and a polished social media presence/professionalism that is very much present here and absent there.

I’m guessing/hoping this forum will remain and that some other, well rounded individual can step up to fill the void.

Sadly, this tells me that the project is not as close to producing fruit as we hope and maybe the timeline is just too far out at this point.

Having lost a parent 5 years ago, I’m familiar with the challenge and the perspective that it adds to an often already full docket of responsibility, so respect and condolences are in order above all.

BruceMcF

X16 Team Member Update

Post by BruceMcF »

Best of luck in your current and future endeavors, and I can't wait to see when you get your own CX16 and cover it on your channel, noting "longer time subscribers will be aware I was part of the development team for this project for over two years".