Your dream sound chip combination (REMAKE)

Feel free to talk about any other retro stuff here including Commodore, Sinclair, Atari, Amstrad, Apple... the list goes on!
xanthrou

Post by xanthrou »

So, this is a remake of my old thread. (not sure if mods would be okay with it)

Ever wonder about combining two different sound chips from different systems and play them together?

Mine is YM2610 and MOS 6581 SID and I think they would sound very powerful together, combining Neo-Geo's and Commodore 64's characteristic sound powers.

So, @Strider @BruceMcF @rje @Cyber @AndyMt @Perifractic @Scott Robison @ZeroByte, what is your dream sound chip combination? What sound chips from particular console or home computer you think would go great together?

Scott Robison

Post by Scott Robison »

I'm not sure this is something that I've ever given any thought to. I'm all but tone deaf so it has never really been important to me what type of sound a computer has as long as it has sound.

Edmond D

Post by Edmond D »

As a teen, I was told not to whistle by a friend who had real music talent. Likewise my high school music teacher gave me a D and told me I sing flat. 

The best I can do is play a MP3 ?

Don't get me wrong, I like good music/sound, I just don't have the skill to create it. 

So I can't really make a statement on sound chip pairings. You've called upon those who have much better talent/knowledge than I do. I look forward to what they say with the knowledge that I couldn't tell the difference between any of them.

Fenner Machine

Post by Fenner Machine »

Yamaha YMF292 (also known as the SCSP) used in the Sega Saturn and other Sega hardware from that era.

2 SID chips (for stereo).

Technically 3 chips, but...

TomXP411

Post by TomXP411 »

Going back and listening to "chiptunes" (which are sometimes produced on authentic hardware and sometimes not), I find that I best like the Yamaha FM synthesizer, the Roland Additive Synthesis used by the MT-32, and I enjoy playing with acoustic modeling synthesizers, like the Yamaha VL1 and VL70m. I also love the sound of the Yamaha XG synthesizers. I'm lucky enough to have a VL70m modeling synth, an MU80 XG synth, and a Yamaha sequencer/synthesizer (which is super fun for writing music on.)

Thinking back to playing with music software in the 80s, I remember being very frustrated with what I could make the SID do, and I was always looking for something better. I was a little happier with my Yamaha FM synthesizer (I had an early model PSS-570. My girlfriend in high school had a later mode, with the more colorful control panel), but I wasn't really happy with what I could do musically until I got the Yamaha XG synth. 

And now we're starting to see a bit of a renaissance of analog synthesis, either true analog synths or modeling synths, such as the OP-1 and the Modal CraftSynth. 

If writing chiptunes, I'd love to sit and play with an MT-32, a CraftSynth, or a DX7. Or all of them together. I'm sure I could do something interesting with a mix of those instruments. 

ZeroByte

Post by ZeroByte »

X16 is very close to it. I'd probably have dual SID + YM2151 + Amiga's digital sound hw. (forget the name of that chip right now)

To me, the VERA PCM is rough for not having DMA and only having a single DAC.

VERA PSG is cool. As for PSG chips that I personally like, I really like Pokey for some reason. It's not amazing, but it has a kind of unique sound to it.

Or if we're really going off the deep end, may as well change YM2151 for the chip from Yamaha DX7. ?

Fenner Machine

Post by Fenner Machine »

The Amiga chip is called Paula, 14-bit.

Needs the right chipset and CPU to reach full potential.

There is some really nice Amiga music on YouTube.

Scott Robison

Post by Scott Robison »

On 12/14/2021 at 1:52 PM, Edmond D said:

As a teen, I was told not to whistle by a friend who had real music talent. Likewise my high school music teacher gave me a D and told me I sing flat. 

The best I can do is play a MP3 ?

Don't get me wrong, I like good music/sound, I just don't have the skill to create it. 

So I can't really make a statement on sound chip pairings. You've called upon those who have much better talent/knowledge than I do. I look forward to what they say with the knowledge that I couldn't tell the difference between any of them.

I like this answer better than my own, I'm adopting it, except for the friend and high school teacher.

Strider

Post by Strider »

My musical likes span a very large gambit, and to be honest, I don't really have any clear cut favorite chips.

There are those that powered more of my classic hardware than others, but I liked them all for various reasons, including their unique sounds. Also, I am no composer, I just enjoy the talent of others. ?

A classic geek & family man who enjoys all things retro! Computers, hardware, games, electronics, etc. Expert at nothing, professional hobbyist, and old-school blogger!
kelli217

Post by kelli217 »

I would combine an Ensoniq ES5503 with a Yamaha YM2608.