Super Star Trek

All aspects of programming on the Commander X16.
CursorKeys

Super Star Trek

Post by CursorKeys »

Hi!

I've been following someone doing a C64 conversion for the old basic program Super Star Trek.

Now, at some point, I was wondering, we should also have a X16 conversion.  So I just dropped the code as-is in the emulator, to see what works and what does not,

and behold, it works out of the box! 

Since I though it was quite fun, I'm sharing it here so you can try yourself.

I would add it as a software project, but copyrights and so on, I am not certain, so I just link it instead.

http://vintage-basic.net/bcg/superstartrek.bas

To make it work, copy and patiently paste in the emulator and when it is done (it's quite long), type run.

spacer.png

Enjoy!

Justin Baldock

Super Star Trek

Post by Justin Baldock »

Just after Christmas I started working on my port. I've added a bunch of graphics. Its still a work in progress.

https://github.com/JustinBaldock/X16-SuperStarTrek

CursorKeys

Super Star Trek

Post by CursorKeys »

On 1/15/2022 at 12:26 AM, Justin Baldock said:

Just after Christmas I started working on my port. I've added a bunch of graphics. Its still a work in progress.

https://github.com/JustinBaldock/X16-SuperStarTrek

That is nice. I am looking forward to playing it ?

Will you take the scrolling screen approach, as the original, or do you have a different approach?

TomXP411

Super Star Trek

Post by TomXP411 »

I'm working on a version, too. Right now, I'm working in QB64 (a modern variant of QuickBASIC), and I'll probably use something like XC=BASIC for the 8-bit version. 

In my case, I'm starting with all new code and just following the general outline of Mayfield's version. 

image.png.95063d8ff55970f7cc779a3248f9588c.png

Right now, you can fly your little starship around the galaxy, but I haven't yet implemented combat procedures. That's actually next week's task. ?

Also, I'm loving all the different approaches to this program. I'd love to see who else is working on the same thing, and how they're making it uniquely theirs. 

CursorKeys

Super Star Trek

Post by CursorKeys »

Cool!  Lot's of people working on this now.

I was not really working on a version, but I found this person on Twitter doing his version. (it's here btw https://electrongreg.itch.io/super-star-trek) for pet 40 columns.  Anyway, I've been working on a basic emulator. And so I was more or less trying to see if my emulator would run it.  Anyway it was not, but since then, I am starting my own dummy version of it, which will utilize PET character set, just to test the living goldfishes out my emulator ?

Just started it a day or go, and I may or not go the whole mile with it.

Anyway, my version will be in commodore basic, and if it get's anywhere, I probably make it X16 compatible, and publish it here.

But yeah, progress so far: only 0.1%, so don't hold any breath ?
ezgif-3-68af32abc0.gif
Edmond D

Super Star Trek

Post by Edmond D »

Perhaps you'd all consider collaborating on one version together? While it isn't "rocket science" that approach might result in an outstanding port to the X16 platform.

TomXP411

Super Star Trek

Post by TomXP411 »

On 1/16/2022 at 1:52 PM, CursorKeys said:

Cool!  Lot's of people working on this now.

I was not really working on a version, but I found this person on Twitter doing his version. (it's here btw https://electrongreg.itch.io/super-star-trek) for pet 40 columns.  Anyway, I've been working on a basic emulator. And so I was more or less trying to see if my emulator would run it.  Anyway it was not, but since then, I am starting my own dummy version of it, which will utilize PET character set, just to test the living goldfishes out my emulator ?

Just started it a day or go, and I may or not go the whole mile with it.

Anyway, my version will be in commodore basic, and if it get's anywhere, I probably make it X16 compatible, and publish it here.

But yeah, progress so far: only 0.1%, so don't hold any breath ?

ezgif-3-68af32abc0.gif

The good news is that if you write in CBM BASIC, it will "just work" on the Commander. No changes should be necessary, except setting the screen size to 40x30.

Strider

Super Star Trek

Post by Strider »

This is AWESOME! I had completely forgot Super Star Trek even existed, and I played it a lot on the C64! I played just about every version of the classic games across several platforms (C64, Apple II, TRS-80, TI-99/4A, DOS), since I have always been a huge Trek fan. Most were cart or disk games, but this one being BASIC was always cool to me. Love to see this!

The very first Star Trek computer game I ever played was on my TI-99/4A, my first computer. Star Trek: Strategic Operation Simulator, and it's always been a favorite! The TI-99/4A started my love of computers in general, and started my many year fascination with Trek games too. It was the first home video game to truly amaze me, and many more would come. Good times!

A classic geek & family man who enjoys all things retro! Computers, hardware, games, electronics, etc. Expert at nothing, professional hobbyist, and old-school blogger!